cleaning your diamond

jenner0483

I was in New York recently and I noticed something strange when my friend was cleaning her engagement ring which she said it is a .52 marquise cut and she has too baugettes 1 on each side. She put her ring in some blue cleaner and then some hot boinling water in it. I then asked her what that was, being bright blue and it turned out she told me she always cleans her ring with Windex and some boiling water. I told her that I Don't think its good for her diamonds but I will ask the web-site I go to to see it it damages the diamonds itself or loosens up the prongs or does any kind of damage. Has anyone ever heard of cleaning it like that?

I never heard of that, but on the other hand there are so many ways to clean your diamonds. Here are some great tips from our website.

Diamonds are forever, but they must be kept clean to assure their most brilliant performance. Ordinary wear, including the use of hand lotions and hair care products and simple household work, can all cause a buildup that can leave a hazy film on your diamond. This buildup will eventually cause your brilliant diamond to appear dull.

Here are some simple but important tips on how to keep your diamond ring looking as great as it did when you first received it.

Wear

At Diamonds on Fifth we suggest you remove your ring during strenuous activities, when going into a swimming pool or hot tub or while taking part in sports.

Storage

Diamonds jewelry is best stored separately to avoid becoming scratched or damaged. Store your diamonds in individual jewelry cases, cloth pouches or in a fabric-lined jewelry box with separate dividers and compartments.

Cleaning

To clean your jewelry at home, be careful not to use abrasives that can dull the setting.

For at-home cleaning, we recommend mixing one part ammonia and four parts water. Scrub your diamond gently with a soft brush to loosen dirt. Avoid brushing the metal itself, as this may cause it to scratch. Pat dry with a lint-free cloth.

For a more professional cleaning, you can purchase one of the many types of small machines on the market that will clean any piece of jewelry that can be dipped in a liquid, in a matter of minutes. These consist of a metal cup that you fill with water and detergent. When the machine is turned on, a high-frequency motion creates the cleaning action.

Security

At Diamonds on Fifth we recommend a visit to a professional jeweler every six months to a year to have your mounting checked and tightened. During this time, the jeweler can also clean and polish your setting to look brand new.

Windex works pretty well because it breaks down the bonds that hold the gunk together but I would caution you not to boil windex, or any ammonia based cleaner. This won't hurt your diamonds but ammonia fumes are bad for your lungs, which are far more precious. :wacko:

You should also be aware that although diamonds are quite tough, certain other gemstones, like opals, pearls and tanzanite, can be sensitive to thermal shock and you should avoid this hot water rinse at the end. Just use warm water, a little dishwashing soap and a soft toothbrush for these.

Neil