Black diamonds

eliana

Yes, there are black diamonds. Most have been treated to add the color but are usually natural mined stones.

They're generally very inexpensive when compared to other colors of diamonds and there's some interesting designs that a jeweler can do with them. There are other black gemstones as well. Are you considering buying a black diamond?

Neil

Neil, is it correct to say that natural black diamonds are rare?  Do you know if GIA grade natural fancy black stones?  They are not to my taste but I am certainly curious about them.

Yes, GIA will grade them but I've never seen a report on one. Frankly, I've been curioius for years to see one. Obviously the traditional D-Z scale doesn’t apply but somehow the standard way of grading fancy’s doesn’t apply either. Can you have a vivid black?

Neil

• 3 weeks later...

One client brought a 3 ct black diamond ring in to show me. I tried to look impressed...but it did look a lot like a faceted piece of obsidian or black onyx. I just wouldn't want to pay a diamond price for a stone with no radiance. Funny, years ago we were taught that these were 'industrial grade' stones. Now I'm seeing them on jewelry, watch bezels, etc. Lowering of the standards?