Need help in choosing diamond!!

neillnat

well thats the thing, ive only seen the leo diamond. but i called another jeweler today to compare and see what they had and of course he was telling me about this other diamond and how nice it was, so i was just wondering. like i say i dont know very much about diamonds, but i would like to get a nice one for her. the ones i was looking at were 1 kt princess cut.

Some education would help.

Start with the tutorial at the top of the page. Then read through this forum and browse the various questions and answers you find. Lastly, if you find a poster or 3 that seems to offer good advice, click through to their websites and see if they have any additional wisdom there. Many have excellent education sections. Spend some time reading at GIA (www.gia.edu) and AGS (www.americangemsociety.org). In a few evenings you can learn more about diamonds than a fair number of professional salespeople have learned in a whole career.

Neil

i would just like to know the thoughts of someone who is more educated in the subject than i am, which is a better diamond. I ask because everytime i go to a jeweler, theirs is the best, i would just like an outside opinion from someone who knows more about this than i do. i wish i could tell you the clarity, etc. but i cant remeber, i have it wrote down but not looking for it right now, i just know it was a 1kt princess cut.

Preference in facet design is largely a matter of taste. There is no ‘best’. It’s like asking who the best painter is. Personally, I don’t much care for Picasso but a lot of people seem to be willing to pay big bucks for his work. The two you mention are both custom facet designs that are sold at a premium through their own dealer networks. Lots of people seem to like them. Others prefer a more traditional princess cut. Not surprisingly, the dealers who sell them seem to be particularly impressed. I wasn’t kidding about availing yourself of some free education. Pay special attention to the sections on cut grading, light behavior and ‘ideal’ and other premium cutting claims as they relate to princess cuts. This is about to turn into a trip down the rabbit hole (pardon the arcane literary reference) but if you can keep your head about you it really will help in understanding what you need to know. I’m really not trying to be obtuse, it’s just that you’re asking an impossible question. I can tell you that all Leo's are not the same. Even with specialty cuts, cut matters.

Which are better, apples or oranges?

Neil

thanks, but could you give me some input about the leo diamond vs. the cushette?

i would really appreciate it.

In the case of branded diamonds, one must be very.....committed to that shape, and facet pattern.

That's because most "branded" diamonds come at a fairly hefty premium.

There's reasons for the premium :

If a cutter can cut all different shapes, the cost for a cushion,for example, is a lot less than a cutter who has to buy only rough which will cut to cushion shape well.

Look at it like this...If a paint store only sold one color of paint, every gallon would have a higher cost than a store selling the rainbow of colors.

Imagine, advertising for a store selling only fuschia paint!

How many ads would the store have to place to find their customer?

The task of selling only one type of diamond is actually similar in some ways.