Princess Q. and Setting Q.

Xellarz

I want a solitaire pendant necklace with a princess diamond. If I bought a loose diamond online, how would you suggest I find a place to set it? Also...about how much would it cost to set it? I don't need the chain...just the little pendant part. Oh, size around .35ct.

Here's how I've been looking:

.33-.4ct

better than I color

better than si1 clarity

table: 62-68%

depth: 64-75%

I want something that can be looked at closely by an untrained eye...without finding fault. And I want it to be brilliant...but I know that without seeing it in person, the numbers don't really say that much...but...I want to give myself the best chances, which is why I tried to look in that range for the table and depth. I guess I want to know if you think those are decent "constraints"...or should I change a few of them?

Most of the dealers who sell diamonds also sell mountings and setting services. It's almost always best to buy all 3 from the same source because it eliminates the possibility of finger pointing at the end. I would actually include this on the list of requirements for an acceptable dealer. Your parameters spell out a pretty good range. You will find this process to be less painful and probably less expensive if you first locate a dealer and then use their good council to pick the right stone. What are your criteria for selecting a dealer?

Neil

We offer free jewelers fees with any stone and mounting that you purchase with us...we use a master jeweler here locally and then send the completed pendant to you directly.

Most of our clients do take advantage of this service when shopping for rings and pendants as it makes life a little easier for you.....

I agree with Neil, the specs you are looking for in the stone seem to be very appropriate for a pendant. I think you are headed in the right direction.

Hi everyone!

Xellarz- I'd forget the numbers you've posted.

I suggest putting your efforts into finding a quality dealer- they will make sure you get a good diamond.

Buyers who attempt to use numerical formulas are looking at the wrong ball in my opinion.

The setting of a princess cut is not the most simple thing in the biz.

Although the best setters rarely dmage diamonds while setting- princess cuts are more likely than other shapes to have a problem.

That's why I'd suggest you find a dealer who can

1) make sure you're getting areally well cut diamond

2) handle the setting at their own risk, not yours.

Right now I really like this one (from what I can tell without actually seeing it)... http://www.exceldiamonds.com/diamond/34483.html Umm...as I said before, I wanted a pendant, and you guys are suggesting I do the whole thing at one place. Any ideas what it would cost to have it set? Umm...I don't care about the metal, whatever's cheap...as long as it's a white metal. And I like double bail? Also, as I said before, I don't want the chain. On the site, they only have the option to set it into rings. I know I could just e-mail Barry, but I want to hear some opinions first.

I guess based on what I've heard here...if this is what I do, I'll e-mail them and have them look at it themselves...if they tell me it's eye-clean and looks good, then it's good enough for me. And then I'll have them set it and stuff (assuming they do that).

I didn't thank you guys before, I should have. Thank you all very much.

You're welcome.

I'm reasonably confident that Excel can help you out with the setting as well. If you don't see something specifically pictured on their site that suits your fancy, here's a manufacturer of some fairly simple styles that they can probably order in and set up for you quite quickly and for a reasonable price. Ask 'em.

Let us know how it works out. :o

Neil

Well, I found the stone I liked and I e-mailed Excel twice...the first one was last Friday, and I still have not recieved a reply. Now a week later, the stone is sold...so I'm back to looking, but I'm questioning looking at Excel just because for whatever reason, maybe they're busy, maybe they're on vacation, maybe it's a problem with e-mail, but for whatever reason, I cannot seem to contact them... :wacko:

Try the phone on Monday. The phone # is listed on the site. I'm sure either Judah or Barry will be happy to speak with you.

This is a pretty busy time of year in this business and email is subject to some unique sorts of problems. I get over a thousand junk emails every day and I'll bet these guys get even more.

Neil

• 4 weeks later...

Alright, I just noticed that the previously "Sold" stone is now available again. I really liked that stone (without actually seeing it...) but now I have that other stone that I also really like. I didn't think I'd ever have to do this since I like picking for myself and stuff. But........without actually seeing them, which stone do you prefer?

AGS-0 Ideal Cut orrrrrr...

This one...????

"without seeing them" is the problem. :)

They will look the same size face-up. The first has an AGS 0 in light performance. That's a strong nod in my book but the GIA option may be every bit as appealing and is a color grade higher. To assess/compare overall cut quality and face-up color they simply must be seen.

I suggest you ask Barry or one of his staff. They can give you decisive opinions where we cannot.

Hi Xellarz;

Apologize for not getting back to you.

We're swamped.

Send that e-mail again with the stock #'s of both diamonds and we will do a comparison taste test for you with data workups.

Regards,

Hi Xellarz;

Apologize for not getting back to you.

We're swamped.

Send that e-mail again with the stock #'s of both diamonds and we will do a comparison taste test for you with data workups.

Regards,

Barry,

I see you made it through another Christmas season. :) You're still smiling in your picture but I do see a little more grey in the beard.

Neil

Ahhhh! (that was a scream) Photoshopping a diamond for sale on the internet is a CARDINAL SIN punishable by death via a guillotine! At least in our book. That is if you are altering the diamond. Cropping for size is not a cardinal sin.

Just take lots of photos.

Ahhhh! (that was a scream) Photoshopping a diamond for sale on the internet is a CARDINAL SIN punishable by death via a guillotine! At least in our book. That is if you are altering the diamond. Cropping for size is not a cardinal sin.

Just take lots of photos.

No worries Webgal. Neil was suggesting photoshop for my 'reflection affliction' - similar to 'greybeard' but manifesting itself on the crown o' the head, not the pavilion.

It worked - see!

post-111809-1167335661.jpg

Whew! I think my sinuses are clogging my sense of humor. I had yet another blonde moment. It only took a day or so for me to get that joke and only after you offered photographic evidence did it seep through the blonde.

I'm thinking you might be better off with the "clean look" as opposed to the brown bear look Quixote. That's a lot of hair to keep clean.

So I'm going to purchase the diamond through Excel (Barry) - I decided to go with the .35 GIA instead of the .37 AGS-0. I'll have it set by a jeweler in the area, and I'm going to make the chain myself.

One of the main attractions of a diamond as a gift was the aspect of trading in and getting bigger and better things, etc. Since Excel only does that with their Superb Cert, do you guys have any suggestions for the future? Like, what's a decent way of selling jewelery? Do many jewelers purchase jewelery like that? etc

Thank you all for all of your help. Also I'd like to mention that Barry was quite fast with his replies and also helpful.

If the tradeup program is important to you, buy a stone that is part of a tradeup program. In your case, this means buy a superbcert. Reselling diamonds is a bitch for most consumers and the only saving grace is that most people don’t do it very often. Most jewelers and consumers are very hesitant to buy from the public and will only do so at steeply discounted prices.

Neil

Edited by denverappraiser