Urgent question on diamond sites

dave55

I'd appreciate any help here, as I'm in a bit of a rush...

Basically, I heard that Blue Nile, Mondera, and Union Diamonds are among the best places to buy diamonds online. I've done a fair amount of research and can see why with how they are GIA certified and the like.

However, I recently came across Diamond.com. They are about a thousand dollars less than these other three, and they have GIA certified diamonds.

Has anyone ever heard of them? It looks very professional, and I know it's owned by ICE.com which is a major jewelry site. It just doesn't seem likely that the other three sites would be priced so much higher when everyone says those other three are usually the cheapest.

Is something shady about the diamond.com diamonds? Even though they are GIA certified, are they not independently certified or something? What's wrong with them?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, because if they aren't shady, that would save me $1,000 -- plus I have a few 15% off coupons too for there.

Thanks in advance!

Dave

Dave,

All of the sites you’ve listed, including diamond.com, are backed by reputable companies and I think you’ll find their pricing to be similar with one another on genuinely comparable offers. Can you give links to examples of some diamonds that you think are similar from these companies that differ in price by $1000?

A 15% unrestricted coupon from diamond.com is pretty good. Read the fine print to be sure you understand the rules but this may be the tipping point to be worth shopping there.

Neil Beaty

GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA

My main concern was that all the stats appeared the same (cut, clarity, color, grading by GIA, etc.), but diamond.com consistently appeared cheaper and not just with my specific diamonds.

I just can't see how they could beat Mondera, Blue Nile, Union Diamonds, etc. by so much. It almost sends off a red flag, but I know that they are a big company.

Are their diamonds GIA certified by themselves perhaps? What's the catch? Do a search for any diamond and they're always cheaper by a lot...

I almost sound like I'm promoting them, but I'm thinking that there's a catch to this and that they're perhaps graded differently?

Dave

My main concern was that all the stats appeared the same (cut, clarity, color, grading by GIA, etc.)

Dave

Dave,

'Appeared' is the key word. Cut is the usual area to concentrate on where you see GIA graded stones that seem similar from similar style dealers with wildly different prices. Grading accuracy, special symmetry patterns and added services like trade up programs and 'free' mounting services are other areas that tend to affect the pricing. Some offers are better deals than others, but it's very rarely as big a margin as you're seeing unless you are looking at extremely expensive stones.

Can you provide some examples of stones that you see as similar that are wildly different prices from the dealers you are considering? We may be able to give you some ideas what is causing the difference.

Neil

Here's one I saw at diamond.com:

Stock 109/8

Carat 1.02

Color F

Clarity VS1

Cut Ideal

Depth % 60.7

Table % 57.00

Symmetry Very Good

Polish Very Good

Girdle Thin

Culet None

Fluorescence None

Measurements 6.48x6.56x3.96

$6,985.00

I looked up ideal cuts, VS1 clarity, no flourescence, F color, 1 to 1.03 carats (or so), very good symmetry, and very good polish on the other sites and they were all about $1,000 higher unless they had lesser features in cut, color, etc.

Anything wrong with this diamond?

Dave

Here's one on Blue Nile with the same color, cut, clarity, symmetry, polish, flourescence, etc. for about a thousand more:

Stock number: LD00288265

Price: $8,074

Bank wire price: $7,953

Carat weight: 1.04

Cut: Ideal

Color: F

Clarity: VS1

Depth %: 62.1%

Table %: 59%

Symmetry: Very good

Polish: Very good

Girdle: Thin to slightly thick, faceted

Culet: None

Fluorescence: None

Measurements: 6.45 x 6.50 x 4.02 mm

This is just one example, but many of the diamonds from Blue Nile, Mondera, etc. are similar in price (and cheaper than others), but diamond.com's $1,000 less seems too good to be true.

Dave

Hey Dave;

Price is important, no question; but buying a quality diamond that lights up a room is a lot more than just price. These Virtual Diamonds (VD) listings are listed by many diamond internet websites.

None of them have it in their physical possession and therefore can't give you any information above and beyond what you see on the lab grading report. "Numbers" on a lab report tell you little if anything about how a diamond will face up.

There are Internet vendors that can and will call in the diamond for you from these listings and do a workup so that you not only get additional information but have a knowledgeable diamond man at the other end of the phone/computer able to answer any question you might have.

The first stone looks pretty good, especially if you can get an additional 15% off on it. I'm not sure your comparable search is valid though. Yes, it looks like you're promoting them.

Here's one from blue nile that meets your specs for $6759 (with bankwire discount).

Here's one from Union for $6,844 (with the bankwire discount).

I didn't check to see what the offerings are from Mondera but I'm confident they have something in the same ballpark. No, diamond.com's offer isn't too good to be true and yes, it's a reasonable offer, especially if the coupon really applies. Do a search at the top of the page under 'find online jeweler' and you'll get dozens of similar offers. Assuming that it passes an insepection and your discount drops the price too, I doubt you will find a better offer anywhere. Without the coupon it seems to be about par for the course.

I'm not sure why BN want's so much for the one you chose as comparable. Is it part of their 'signature ideal' program? They do charge a premium for that line. I'm sure they will be willing to discuss it with you if you ring them up and ask.

Neil

See if you can get additional information about the diamond from any one of these Dealers.

I agree.

Consider buying from a dealer who will actually examine the stone prior to attaching their good name to it.

Here's that diamond at Excel (This is Barry's site, it would be a forum rules violation for him to post this link)

Neil

Hey Neil (and everyone else here),

The 15% off doesn't apply to diamonds apparently, but either way, my main question I'm still a bit confused about. Why is that specific diamond $1,000 less? Is there something about it that makes it inferior? I was about to purchase from Blue Nile until I saw that.

Dave

Good question, Dave.

None of those Dealers will be able to answer your question, RE: diamond quality, because the diamond will be drop-shipped directly to you by the Manufacturer.

Dave,

I think the real question is why that other one you were considering is $1000 more. It may be a special brand or it may be something as simple as a typing error when the built the record. Ask Blue Nile. Most of what I found in my brief online search is priced within 10 percent of the one you choose. Blue Nile has comparable priced stones as well, I linked to one above. It wouldn't surprise me if they can get you that same stone for a similar price by the way.

I see nothing obviously wrong about the one you chose but I would never claim to be able to grade a stone without looking at it.

Neil

Hey Neil and everyone again,

I noticed that the link you gave to Blue Nile's diamond was for a very good cut diamond and not the ideal (or excellent by the GIA report) cut. I've found similar ones too like this if you take down the stats, but I was comparing similar diamonds on everything.

The Mondera one looks to be the same for only $100 more or so, but I know of a few coupons to knock it down to the same price.

Dave

Hi Everyone!

I think one possible explaination for large price discepancy might be that a diamond which was sold is accidentaly left on a list.

This might explain large differences for stones of similar size and grade.

Of course in addition to the cut.

For example- two well cut diamonds can have different attributes.

A diamond graded "Very Good" cut from GIA with a 54% table may be a well cut diamond.

It will look different than a well cut diamond with a 60% table.

There are some things I shop for based on price. A new car. The model is the model.

Diamonds are more like fine art. Or, well....used cars. A really good one is great. One that might look at first glance like a good one might not be.

I'm conscious of the price of a diamond, when I buy- but I'd prefer to pay a little bit of a high price for a really desirable diamond, versus a great deal on a diamond which was somehow slightly less desirable.

Odimo, the company that backs Diamond.com, is getting out of the online diamond business. They filed a 10Q today with the SEC to that effect. They appear to be trying to sell all their inventory at cost, which would explain the low prices. It also means they may not be there if there's a problem with the diamond down the road.

Odimo, the company that backs Diamond.com, is getting out of the online diamond business.  They filed a 10Q today with the SEC to that effect.  They appear to be trying to sell all their inventory at cost, which would explain the low prices. It also means they may not be there if there's a problem with the diamond down the road.

This stone isn't in inventory, it's a virtual listing.

Amazon.com got out of this business a few months ago as well and there were some pretty good deals that resulted. :blink:

Sorry to hear that you're losing a customer. :P

Neil

Diamond.com has been off this site for over a year now, so no skin off of my back.

Still, it's always sad to hear of failures in our industry, especially when it appears Odimo poured close to $100M into this venture.