Right Price for a diamond??

phoe thar

HI all

As a new learner and walking down the road in search for diamond solitaire ring for my wife, I have found so many diamonds with varying prices.

I just want to know what will be the range of fair price for 0.46 to 0.54 ct of F,G color with clarity of VS1 or VS2, the cut is of ideal cut or H&A.

one more thing is while Gabrielle diamonds are more expensive than normal H&A diamond?

sorry to ask all of you some silly questions. I just want to buy a diamond that worth paying for.

phoe thar

Use the link at the top of the page titled ‘find online jeweler’ and you can look up offers for stones using an assortment of ranges. This will give you a pretty good idea of what things cost, at least from the dealers who advertise here. This is a pretty competitive national marketplace so it can give you a decent idea what the ‘bottom line’ is. Make sure you’re comparing genuinely similar stones. You’ll notice quite a range for any particular weight/color/clarity combination. This range has to do with cutting, accuracy of grading and similar details that aren’t part of the pricing matrix. What you're looking for will be towards the top of the range.

Mr. Tolkowski charges more for his work than some other people do. It’s the same reason that some restaurants are more expensive than others. Is it worth it? That’s up to you. Gabrielle cuts some lovely stones and they sell them through some first class dealers. Low low prices is usually not the pitch. They have plenty of competitors who offer a different set of features that appeal to different customers.

Neil Beaty

GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA

Gabrielle's are precision cut stones.

Their price premium is a combination of craftsmanship and the Branding/Marketing.

Only you can decide if the premium is worth it.

• 2 months later...
thanks alot for the advices!!!!

let me search through the market and have my baseline..:-)

Hi Phoe,

Have you got the ring for your wife already? I have been looking around and comparing gabrielle cuts with ideal cuts.. (price is not really a concern at this moment). Seems like gabrielle diamond sparkles more due to more facets, but the intensity of this sparkling is less as compared to an ideal cut. Personally I also feel that if the diamond is smaller than 0.5, the gabrielle cut doesn't seem to bring out as much brilliance as compared to an ideal cut, just my personal view and i'm still very new in this as i've just started to shop around since 1 week ago.. Here in singapore, we only have two shops that carry gabrielle diamonds and they only have like a few solitaire pieces in display. .

• 4 weeks later...
Hi Phoe,

Have you got the ring for your wife already? I have been looking around and comparing gabrielle cuts with ideal cuts.. (price is not really a concern at this moment). Seems like gabrielle diamond sparkles more due to more facets, but the intensity of this sparkling is less as compared to an ideal cut. Personally I also feel that if the diamond is smaller than 0.5, the gabrielle cut doesn't seem to bring out as much brilliance as compared to an ideal cut, just my personal view and i'm still very new in this as i've just started to shop around since 1 week ago.. Here in singapore, we only have two shops that carry gabrielle diamonds and they only have like a few solitaire pieces in display. .

Hi Brian L,

Gabrielle diamonds feature 105 facets compared to the typical 57 or 58 facets present in a "normal" brilliant-cut diamond. It is not the number of facets per se that contribute to the extra sparkle that you see, but the placement and alignment of the additional facets in the crown and pavilion.

Charlotte Atelier works directly with Gabi Tolkowsky, and will be happy to assist you if you have an questions. You may want to PM your questions to me directly, or we could make an appointment with you at your convenience.

If you cannot find a Gabrielle diamond in our stores or on our lists that fit your requirement, we offer a "Made-to-Order Gabrielle Diamond Service", which allows you to specify your Carat/Colour/Clarity/Shape requirement and we can arrange for Gabi to custom-cut a Gabrielle Diamond for you. For more information on this, please feel free to visit us and we will be pleased to discuss further with you.

For some information on Gabrielle diamonds online, please visit www.gabriellediamond.com.

Best regards,

Stephen Tan

Charlotte Atelier

Suntec City #01-065 T: 6336 5130

Ngee Ann City #02-10A T: 6733 7616

Edited by StephenTan