Is this a bad price

rfsunbird

I am looking to buy an ering and my local dealer gave me a price on the diamond below of $5650, do you think this is a good deal. I know i can get the thing cheaper online but buying from someone local does have its advantages. ALl opinions will be greatly appreciated.

pricess but

5.44x5.35x4

1ct

f color

vs2

polish VG

sym Good

flor None

Table 73%

depth 74.8%

comments: addition clouds are not shown. surface graining is not shown.

Thanks for your help

I’m a big fan of supporting local merchants. I don’t see any huge problems with what you've said about the stone but this kind of data doesn’t really answer very much with a princess. The price is within the right range but it’s a pretty big range. Have you seen the stone? Does it sing?

Who graded it?

Neil

I guess this one is different than the one in the other post, right? Is it from the same dealer? Did you get a chance to look at two side by side?

The table is smaller on this one. How did it look compared to the other one? If it's the same dealer, he is making the effort to show you more than one thing. That's a good sign.

It's not way too deep for a princess cut, but you're going to give up some millimeters with a depth at the upper end of the range. But if you don't see the difference side by side with the other and this one is lively, go for it.

How do you feel about him? I agree with Neil that if you are comfortable with a local dealer to forge ahead with the local merchant. We really do need local jewelry stores.

GIA Report right? Certified by a GIA gemologist is not the same thing. But it sounds like a genuine GIA report because of the array of numbers you've listed.

Do make sure that if you get the diamond there, you have the same establishment oversee the construction of the ring. You DO NOT want to piece meal this out. You want one person to take responsibility for the ring.

How could I possibily make a good judgement call on the how much it sings?

The problem is that not everyone is looking for the same things and there isn't really a very good language for describing diamond beauty. Beauty and value are quite specifically NOT what is being discussed on a grading report. When people ask me to give a sight unseen opinion about diamonds, the top questions are:

1) Is it going to be eye clean?

2) Is it going to face up white?

3) Is it a good deal?

4) Will it have good light performance?

5) Is it going to be pretty?

6) Will she love it?

These questions all have one surprising thing in common….The answers aren’t on the GIA report!

Grading reports are pretty useful things and by all means you should insist on one but it’s the beginning of the shopping process, not the end. Most people develop a pretty good idea of what they like and will have a distinct preference for some stones over others with superficially similar specs. They generally don’t know what it is but they just like one better than the next. It’s easy to lose the point in all of the thinking about things like clarity, color, table size and money. Diamonds are VERY cool little objects but you have to actually look at them to see it. They bring together earth and sky as a rock that shines like a star. They bring together God and man, because God made the stone and a cutter fashioned it. They are a link between 3rd world miners and Hollywood glitterati, to the benefit of both. They are both yin and yang simultaneously, which is why they make such a good symbol of the relationship between a man and a woman or just between a person and the world. Either that or they’re just overpriced pebbles.

You’re going to buy one either way, because that’s what guys have to do when they get engaged. The issue is how to get the right one for you and your beloved. The answer to this isn't written on the grading report, it’s in the singing.

Neil

Hippie Gemologist

Well, I don't think I could put it any better than hippie gemologist did.

It's an emotional purchase. It needs to speak to you, sing to you and we don't mean that literally! It's like choosing your intended. She just did it for you, right? A diamond is a symbol of love and needs to have that same "Oh, I love that one!"

It is a GIA diamond grading report.

The 2 diamonds are from different dealers.

I feel more comfortable with the 1.00ct dealer than the .93ct dealer.

Do note, that no matter what brick and mort I go with I will get the setting and diamond from the same place.

The .93ct diamond did have a MUCH larger table percentage so from the top down the it is larger than the 1ct. Although tenths of a millimeter isn't going to make or break the deal, because the magical 1ct number is probably the more important thing to consider.

I will say the diamond looked amazing to me, but as I have grown acustom to saying, I am no expert so anything shiny looks good to me.

I know no one can make a sight unseen judgement for me, I was just hoping for a strictly by the numbers valuation to make sure the specs and price fit somewhere in the range of a quality diamond at a reasonable price. So if you wouldn't mind giving your thoughts, it would be a huge help.

Thanks

I feel more comfortable with the 1.00ct dealer than the .93ct dealer.

Do note, that no matter what brick and mort I go with I will get the setting and diamond from the same place.

The .93ct diamond did have a MUCH larger table percentage so from the top down the it is larger than the 1ct. Although tenths of a millimeter isn't going to make or break the deal, because the magical 1ct number is probably the more important thing to consider.

I will say the diamond looked amazing to me, but as I have grown acustom to saying, I am no expert so anything shiny looks good to me.

I know no one can make a sight unseen judgement for me, I was just hoping for a strictly by the numbers valuation to make sure the specs and price fit somewhere in the range of a quality diamond at a reasonable price. So if you wouldn't mind giving your thoughts, it would be a huge help.

I will leave dimensions, crown angles and light spillage to Barry. He knows those diamonds numbers. All I can tell you is that the cutter, whomever he/she was, did not decide to do some ugly things just to get it to weigh 1ct. (refering to the .93)

But I will say go with the .93 dealer. Go in and ask the guy to get you a 1ct. You've got the setting to go, maybe a wedding band, you want to really feel good about your dealer/jeweler. Then there are anniversaries etc. He can find you another 1ct and I'm sure that's a request he gets a lot. Just ask him. Hey if nothing else, you'll have a .93 and one other and look at two, side by side.

I will leave dimensions, crown angles and light spillage to Barry. He knows those diamonds numbers.  All I can tell you is that the cutter, whomever he/she was, did not decide to do some ugly things just to get it to weigh 1ct. (refering to the .93)

But I will say go with the .93 dealer. Go in and ask the guy to get you a 1ct. You've got the setting to go, maybe a wedding band, you want to really feel good about your dealer/jeweler. Then there are anniversaries etc. He can find you another 1ct and I'm sure that's a request he gets a lot. Just ask him. Hey if nothing else, you'll have a .93 and one other and look at two, side by side.

What is your reasoning for going with the .93ct dealer when I said I was more comfortable with the 1ct dealer?

Also are you suggesting that most 1ct stones are only 1ct because the cutter did all he could to add the extra weight even if it means reducing the quality of the stone?

Go with the dealer you are comfortable with. Use their good advice to help you find a stone you’re comfortable with.

The cutting business is all about money. They buy rough, they cut it, they sell it to someone else and they go out and buy some more rough. It’s a tough business and they need to make some difficult decisions about how to cut each stone. These decisions may not be what you have in mind. As I’m sure you’ve noticed, a stone that weighs 1.00cts. will sell for quite a bit more than a similar stone at 0.95cts. This puts pressure on the cutter to compromise on things that will increase the weight. This is the reason that a 0.98 'Ideal' is an effectively impossible stone to find. This may be ok if it’s important to you that it weigh over a carat but if that’s not one of your requirements, a weight of exactly 1.00 is a bad sign for quality of cutting. It still may be fabulous but there is some really bad work out there at that weight as well as 2.00 and the other important price/weight breaks. It’s sort of like buying a used car and finding out that it came from Louisiana in 2005. It doesn’t mean that the car has flood damage, but I would want to look into it to be sure.

Neil

It’s sort of like buying a used car and finding out that it came from Louisiana in 2005. It doesn’t mean that the car has flood damage, but I would want to look into it to be sure.

Neil

LOL! Great analogy!

Or to paraphrase Ronald Reagan; "Verify, Verify, Verify!

I haven't ruled out buying a diamond online, because it is much cheaper, but I can't seem to find a setting I really like (maybe because I can't hold the thing so I have a hard time visualizing it. Also, how can I truely know what kind of diamond I am going to get. It isn't like the online place is going to send me a few diamonds to look at so I can decide which one I like the best.

O yeah and the other issue with buying online is that if I don't find a setting I like but I find the setting at a local place then I have to have the local place do the mounting, but they aren't going to be making much money off of it so they probably won't put the quality time into making it just right.

I haven't ruled out buying a diamond online, because it is much cheaper <snip>

This isn’t necessarily correct. There are some seriously competitive online dealers to be sure but most of the serious brick and mortar stores can come reasonably close to their prices on comparable merchandise if they want. The trick is to make sure you are comparing comparable offers. Some dealers are extremely bad about providing inaccurate and/or shamefully incomplete descriptions, bogus paperwork, doctored photographs or who simply don't deliver what they promise. Not surprisingly, these dealers can offer low low prices when compared to dealers who are being straight up with you. This is true both online and on the street. That’s why it’s so important to pick a dealer that thinks the way you do and who can otherwise convince you that they are credible. The best deal is not the one that promises the lowest prices, it's the one where you get what you want for the lowest prices. Unfortunately, these are usually not the same.

When you choose your dealer, be honest with them about your expectations and about what you are considering as viable alternatives. Don’t wring every nickel out of them because they’re your neighbor and they’re offering a better local service but don’t be embarrassed to point out something similar from a far away dealer at a lower price. They may drop their price, they may explain why their deal is better (or both) but it’s unlikely they’ll tell you to go away.

Neil

What is your reasoning for going with the .93ct dealer when I said I was more comfortable with the 1ct dealer?

Also are you suggesting that most 1ct stones are only 1ct because the cutter did all he could to add the extra weight even if it means reducing the quality of the stone?

I just got mixed up, that's all. The sinus infection doesn't help but I can occasionally have a "blonde" moment even when I'm well.

Neil has addressed the 1ct mark well.

I think you need to choose the dealer first is what I'm saying.

Cheaper is not always better. If you want the cheapest, you can get in trouble. There are certain dealers out there than know this and prey on it.

In short- You want a competitive price which at a brick and mortar might run you a little extra but you get hands on for it. That's not a bad thing for your fist purchase especially. You want service, good policies like future trade up and sizing and you want them to take the time to educate you on what you are buying.

Hermann

Love the feature on the forum when posting.

Review the complete topic (launches new window)

That is SO COOL

I haven't ruled out buying a diamond online, because it is much cheaper <snip>

This isn’t necessarily correct. There are some seriously competitive online dealers to be sure but most of the serious brick and mortar stores can come reasonably close to their prices on comparable merchandise if they want. The trick is to make sure you are comparing comparable offers. Some dealers are extremely bad about providing inaccurate and/or shamefully incomplete descriptions, bogus paperwork, doctored photographs or who simply don't deliver what they promise. Not surprisingly, these dealers can offer low low prices when compared to dealers who are being straight up with you. This is true both online and on the street. That’s why it’s so important to pick a dealer that thinks the way you do and who can otherwise convince you that they are credible. The best deal is not the one that promises the lowest prices, it's the one where you get what you want for the lowest prices. Unfortunately, these are usually not the same.

When you choose your dealer, be honest with them about your expectations and about what you are considering as viable alternatives. Don’t wring every nickel out of them because they’re your neighbor and they’re offering a better local service but don’t be embarrassed to point out something similar from a far away dealer at a lower price. They may drop their price, they may explain why their deal is better (or both) but it’s unlikely they’ll tell you to go away.

Neil

I have to disagree with this one Neil.

I feel that a brick and mortar store offers services which costs more ( the store, variety of merchadise, etc...) and has the right to charge more.

There are a small percentage of walk in operations that can compete with the efficency the internet offers on important diamond purchases.

BUT- the best internet sellers have to sell for prices below the stores to survive

A good offer is not generally limited to supplying the center diamond in a box but most brick and mortar stores can supply this competitively if they want. Although most have little interest in being in this business, some actually promote it. As you point out, what people expect from a brick and mortar jewelry store is rarely the same as what they want from an Internet source and folks tend to assume that add-ons like the convenient showroom, the agreeable terms, the long standing credibility and the helpful salespeople should be free. I agree that it’s appropriate, fair and necessary that jewelers should be paid for the value added services that they supply. Some offer quite a lot while others offer less than nothing. The ones that do nothing to earn their premium deserve to be paid nothing for that ‘service’. The ones that add real value to the deal seem to have little trouble explaining to customers why they should buy from them instead of from one of their various competitors, dispite what may be percieved as higher prices.

Neil

Neil- another aspect is that a dedicated dealer who buys a lot of diamonds, generally can own them at a lower cost than most jewelery stores.

The best interenet sellers use the efficiency to pass these savings along.

For these reasons, I feel that the average price charged by the best internet sellers is lower than the average price charged at a B/M seller.