What is I.G.I

Guest oletgirl

Guest oletgirl

I have a diamond certified by I.G.I, what is I.G.I? Also, my certification doesn't show how deep my cuts are it just shows the shape, measurement, weight, color, clarity, polish/semmetry, and treatment. Should it show more?

IGI (International Gemological Institute) is not a very well thought of gem lab report. Even if it showed more you could not trust that report.

Here is a GIA report, the gold standard in Diamond Reports. (AGS is also highly regarded, EGL-USA is a distant third)

114cert.JPG

Above is the GIA Report, below you can compare the 2d with the 3D (OK, you're seeing it in 2D).

114plota.jpg

Quote from our owner from a listing by our owner

"Tiny lines on a plot can sometimes be seen easily, while huge blob-ules on the plot may not be visible to the naked eye

Although we can easily see the imperfections in theis shot, I cannot see the imperfection in room lighting at all.

I can make it out in very bright lighting."

This is just an example of what a good report shows and how much of it you might or might not be able to see with the naked eye.

Hi oletgirl,

We've found GIA to be the only lab who's reports are accepted at the "trade level".

In terms of the "cut info"- the numbers on these reports, in and of themselves, mean little.

GIA now has a "Cut Grade" on round diamonds, which goes a long way. BUt it still won't tell you if you're going to love the diamond.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, how do the certification results from DCLA compare to industry standard of GIA & AGS? DCLA seems to be appearing more often in searches I've done on the web especially for stock in Australia.

Also if you have a Sarin report that confirms the results from say a DCLA certification result or any other certifier. Is it safe to say that your diamond specs are accurate?

Keep up the great work guys :D

DCLA seems to be a well regarded Aussie lab but here in Colorado I never see their work. Perhaps others are more familiar with them.

The data on a Sarin report isn’t the same as the data on a grading report beyond a few simple dimensions so I’m not sure what you’re asking. Most major labs use Sarin equipment as part of their inspection and, within the limits of the equipment tolerances it’s reasonably accurate at what it does. I love mine.

Neil

Hi all, how do the certification results from DCLA compare to industry standard of GIA & AGS? DCLA seems to be appearing more often in searches I've done on the web especially for stock in Australia.

Also if you have a Sarin report that confirms the results from say a DCLA certification result or any other certifier. Is it safe to say that your diamond specs are accurate?

Keep up the great work guys :D

Hi,

It's a long road to hoe for any lab attempting to establish itself.

AS of now, none have made serous inroads- ONLY GIA is accepted by dealers and cutters on high dollar diamonds- sarin or not.

HI Neil,

My mistake, I agree that for the past 10 years AGS reports have been traded by dealers as equal to GIA.

Since AGS reports are extremely rare for anything but an "Ideal" round diamond it would seem that GIA's cut grade makes AGS reports less useful.

On high dollar diamonds especially, GIA is essential.

I look at a lot of million dolar diamonds, and I've never even seen a Gueblin report.

Of course that does not mean they don't issue a valid report- still, I do not agree that any lab or company's reports are accepted as GIA's reports ( Other than for "ideal" cut AGS reports}.

AS a buyer, I'd not risk anything BUT a GIA.

GIA is the standard among Tradespeople, no question.

AGS-Ideal graded rounds are solid with respect to their accuracy and consistency.

AGS-"Ideal" graded Princess Cuts are a real mixed bag and need to be personally seen. Of the many such stones that I've inspected some are great lookers while others are

seriously lacking in Brilliance, dispersion, and scintillation, are definitely not worth the price premium, and support the necessity of not relying solely on "numbers" alone to make a buying decision.

oletgirl: shop with your eyes! Do you like your stone? If so, then don't worry about it. My stone is a Leo with an IGI cert - and I really don't care. Any lab is subject to make mistakes when grading a stone. I love my stone - even if it came from the mall with an IGI. My hubby picked it out because he loves me and that's all that should matter.

A lab report is not the determining factor when buying a diamond.. Eye appeal is.. There are a great many very beautiful stones out there that have not gone through the lab report process.. Just as there are many stones that have gone through the process and are ugly.. A lab report can be useful in narrowing down your selection, especially with rounds, but in the end, how the stone looks is the most important thing to me..

Most regular consumers can't see the different between a D color and a F-G color diamond but the prices are different so when they come into a store looking for a D color diamond the retailer could sell him what ever he want that's why you need a cert from a respected name in the field.

We'll have to disagree on this one.. I don't, and never have, seen a lab report (don't call them cert's it's misleading) as "needed" when buying a diamond.. Yes, it can be "helpful" but it is certainly not a requirement to purchase a diamond.. If this were the case then all diamonds would need lab reports before they could sold.. And then you end up in the argument over which lab offers a better report..

I feel a personal relationship built on trust and education is worth far more than any stack of paper..

Now, when selling blind over the internet the weight of a lab report means more in the selection process.. But it still comes down to the relationship between the buyer and the seller when it's time to exchange money and goods..

I agree with you Feydakin - a good relationship with the jeweler is a must when buying a diamond. I've bought many pieces from my mall jeweler and have never encountered any problems.

diamondsonfifth - most "regular" people can't tell the difference between a well-cut diamond and a so-so cut diamond either. I have a Leo and nobody ever knows unless I tell them. I think we'll have to agree to disagree.

I feel a personal relationship built on trust and education is worth far more than any stack of paper..

I think whether or not you want a GIA report comes second to Feydakin's point.

We do occasionally have a diamond, a light yellow for instance, that we bought as part of a parcel and the cost of a GIA report doesn't make a lot of economic sense. However, if we offer one of these diamonds and the customer wants a GIA report, we are happy to submit it but we have to pass on the cost and it takes a few weeks.

However, I'd rather have GIA, (or AGS if round) or nothing at all.

You really have to feel a sense of trust more than anything.