Type of Setting

KAR

Hi, I'm brand new and just happened across this board. I am trying to sell my daughter's engagement ring for her. Her Fiance' walked out on her and left her with the ring and payments. :lol: I want to put this ring on ebay but do not know how to describe it. Could someone help?

It's a 1.41CT. multidiamond ring but I'm sure it has some special name. It has 7 diamonds on the face and multiple diamonds around the sides and down the sides of the band.

Thanks,

RR

post-2-1162843232.jpg

Hi, I am sorry to hear about your daughters unfortunate circumstance. If I were listing the ring on Ebay I would note the quality of the stones that were used in the setting. Details such as color and clarity would be very helpful. If the stones are certified then I would also mention the lab they were certified by and of the course the total ct. weight of the diamonds as well. Include as much detailed information as possible. As far as the style goes, I would probably describe it as being an antique style setting mounted with a cluster center and pave side stones.

Best Wishes, I hope you sell it! Jana

• 1 month later...

Hello All,

Thought I'd check back to let you know what's 'not' happening. Tried e-bay but there are a lot of deal seekers and I do not intend to sell the ring for less that 1/2 the value. Tried a few other sites, Cragslist, local newspapers, etc. and found there are a lot of scam artists out there. Once I tell them my terms for payment I never hear from them again. Many want me to send the ring first (no way), many are from a different country, others want to send money by ways I never heard of including wiring the $$'s. Eveyone I have spoken with say that I must have a Seller's beware attitude and try to get the $$'s up front and wait until the bank clears the check, money order, etc. before sending the item. The buyers do not want any part of this.

I'm open to any suggestions. See this message string for details of what I'm trying to sell.

Thanks,

RR

To write a good ebay description, start at the top with a micrometer or similar measuring guage and just start measuring and describing things.

For example:

Ladies 14k white gold cluster style ring 9.2mm wide at the center with 7 round brilliant cut diamonds measuring 1.4mm each. The shank is 5.0mm wide at the shoulders and tapers to 3.9mm at the back with 9 additional diamonds bead set on each measuring 1.2-1.4mm each. A jeweler told me it has 1.41cts total weight of diamonds. 6.5 grams total weight. Size 6. Marked 14k. Made by Joe Blow Jewelers in MyTown FL. Paid $XXX, in 1999. Willing to sacrifice for $YYY.

Include lots of pictures from all angles.

Be aware that potential buyers are likely to be worried about the source of your grading information as well as details on the craftsmanship of the piece, so give them as much information as possible to make them comfortable on these topics. As you point out, there are a lot of scammers out there and legitimate shoppers are just as worried about this as you are. The ‘appraisal’ given to you by the jeweler when you originally bought it is not a good basis for deciding the value and often the prices people pay for things is quite a bit higher than the resale prices. A visit to a credentialed professional appraiser may be helpful both in getting information for your descriptions and in making sure your expectations are reasonable.

Neil

Yes RR,

what's the asking price?

We might be able to let you know if it's realistic.

I agree with the people advising caution.

Do not accept any type of "strange" payments- nor should you ship prior to receiving the funds

I'd like to get $1,000 for it. Paid $1,832 with a trade in of a smaller diamond ring and tax. Retail was $2,199 which is also the written appraised replacement value.

What is happeneing is that interested parties ask the size of the center diamond, eventhough my ads state that it is a cluster with 7 diamonds and the pictures show the 7 diamond cluster. After I tell them this I never hear back from them. My only saving grace is that I know I have something of value in my possession that has the potential to increase in value.

I've attached a document (I hope) with specifics on it from the store where it was bought. Maybe someone can explain what they mean. :)Ring_Docs.pdf

RR

It says your ring has 67 round stones with a total weight of 1.41 carats. Clarity range is from SI2 to I2, Color range is reported to be H to I.

The mounting is said to be 14 karat white gold.

I think your price is probably too high and this is at least part of the difficulty you are having selling it. If you like it and are inclined to wear and enjoy it, keeping is probably a good choice.

Neil

It says your ring has 67 round stones with a total weight of 1.41 carats. Clarity range is from SI2 to I2, Color range is reported to be H to I.

The mounting is said to be 14 karat white gold.

I think your price is probably too high and this is at least part of the difficulty you are having selling it. If you like it and are inclined to wear and enjoy it, keeping is probably a good choice.

Neil

Neil,

Thanks for the info. Here's the $1000 question. If a reputable store was able to sell this ring for almost twice the price I wish to sell it for, how can my price be too high? This ring was purchased about 6 months ago for over $1,800 and you are telling me that it isn't worth 1/2 the original price. Something is not right. Are jewelry stores ripping the consumer's off? That same ring is still available at the store for the same price I orginally paid for it.

RR

New jewelry at jewelry and department stores will usually sell for considerably more than what similar used pieces will go for on the resale market. This phenomena is not limited to jewelry, it applies to clothing, food, cars, art, furniture and pretty much everything else you buy as well. I would not describe this process as a ripoff but you are correct that jewelry and other consumer products are almost never a good investment.

Have you spoken with the store about trading it in towards something else that may be more suitable for you?

Neil