after finding a diamond on-line, what next?

JaniceAnn

Once I find the diamond I'm looking for with an on-line jeweler, what is the next best step to take? Should I ask that it be sent to an independent appraiser, I view it from the appraiser, I give him/her the money for the diamond and he/she pays the jeweler? And if so, do all on-line jewelers agree to this arrangement and how do I find a qualified/participating appraiser in my area? Thanks!

Each deal will be done a little differently. Most online dealers have a return period wherein they will offer you a refund if you are unhappy with your purchase. This can range from 7 – 30 days and you should be careful to comply with it. In most cases you pay the dealer a deposit on your credit card, take it immediately to the appraiser for inspection and either send it back or take it to a jeweler for setting. Many people will even send it back to the original jeweler for setting. After it’s set, you will also want to have an inspection and an insurance appraisal for the finished item. Forward this final document to your insurance agent and you’re done.

Many of the dealers are pretty cooperative about the logistics of this shipping and will, if you want, agree to ship directly to the appraiser, sometimes without even leaving a deposit. This will depend on the creditworthiness of the appraiser and the policies of the jeweler. In these cases, you will usually be responsible for shipping and appraisal fees on the items that you decide against and the appraiser will arrange for return packing and shipping. If you decide to buy, you pay the dealer directly and they authorize the appraiser to release it to you.

If you are using an out-of-town appraiser for either of these inspections, their report can be delivered to you by email.

Here are some places to look for an appraiser in your neighborhood.

www.appraisers.org

www.isa-appraisers.org

www.americangemsociety.com

www.najaappraisers.com

Neil

Good information provided by Neil.

Our Company policy is that the customer make the necessary arrangement and appointment with the Independent Appraiser and then both the customer and the Appraiser notify us. We ship immediately. If the customer decides to purchase after viewing the diamond at the Appraisers office, payment arrangments are made with us.

As soon as we receive payment, we fax a release to the Appraiser and the customer is set.

Once I find the diamond I'm looking for with an on-line jeweler, what is the next best step to take? Should I ask that it be sent to an independent appraiser, I view it from the appraiser, I give him/her the money for the diamond and he/she pays the jeweler? And if so, do all on-line jewelers agree to this arrangement and how do I find a qualified/participating appraiser in my area? Thanks!

Hi JaniceAnn,

I feel a little differently about this.

We never send diamonds to third parties.

That requires a whole nother lever of trust develop.

For example, how would the consumer know the apprasier is good?

Yes, there are established groups which can lead you to a well thought of appraiser- but then the supplier has to get on board.

My feeling is that it's far better to send the diamond directly to the consumer, along with a money back guarantee- and have them take it wherever they want.

Another asopect of this is that it's neccesary for the seller to have the diamond in hand to give an honest assessment.

If we're offereing a loose diamond, and the potential buyer has looked at our photos and descrption- and they want us to set it...in many cases we'll set the diamond, and extend the money back to the entire purchase.

This saves the step of sending the diamond back and forth.

Sellers that do not possess the diamond would likely have far more use, and willingness to get an appraiser in the middle.

Thank you Neil, Barry and David for your responses to my question....after reading your posts, I am realizing that purchasing a diamond over the internet is safe if you are dealing with reputable dealers such as each of you, and that requesting an appraiser as a "middle-man" is not necessary....When I am ready to purchase a diamond, I have a much better idea where to look now! Thank you so much!!

Thank you Neil, Barry and David for your responses to my question....after reading your posts, I am realizing that purchasing a diamond over the internet is safe if you are dealing with reputable dealers such as each of you, and that requesting an appraiser as a "middle-man" is not necessary....When I am ready to purchase a diamond, I have a much better idea where to look now! Thank you so much!!

I’m that middle-man and there are definitely times when adding an appraiser to the mix is helpful but no, it’s not necessary to have newly purchased items appraised if you choose your dealer carefully. This is the same problem for shoppers on the street as for shoppers online, it just feels different. It’s a little difficult for people shopping online to decide who is a legitimate source and who just has a good web designer and can spin a good yarn. People generally have a lot more practice recognizing a store that just doesn't feel right. Check references, read the policies and do your homework. It's not the means of advertising or the location of the store that makes one dealer better than another. It's the character of the people behind the keyboard/counter that makes the real difference.

If you decide to use an appraiser, choose your appraiser with the same sort of care. They are not all the same. The opinion of an unreliable appraiser is no more useful than the opinion of an unreliable dealer and is quite possibly worse.

Neil

It's the character of the people behind the keyboard/counter that makes the real difference.

I just wanted to respond and agree wholeheartedly with what you said here. This statement absolutely 100% says it all.

If sellers ( and buyers ) would care about PEOPLE more than they care about money or things then, wow, what a great world we'd have.

I'm sure that sounds like a fairytale to some but there are some people out there who want to do what's right so you just have to seek until you find them.

From the little bit of reading I've done here it sounds like the majority of you guys seem to be those kind of people. You're helping a lot of people here and that's nice to see.

Just had to chime in and let you know how much I appreciated what you said.

all the best,

Ken

It’s a little difficult for people shopping online to decide who is a legitimate source and who just has a good web designer and can spin a good yarn.

Webgal,

Evey now and then you come across an outfit that's a reputable source, AND has a good web designer AND can spin a good yarn. Keep up the good work.

Neil