Pear Diamonds and Color

Tamra

Hello,

I am trying to decide between a pear and a round cut.

I have learned that some cuts, such as the emerald cut, tend to show inclusions and color more.

Does this hold true for a pear cut? Is it true that when a diamond is cut to a sharp point, such as pear or marquise, that the color intensifies at these points?

Also, I tend to like pears that are shorter and fatter with a length to width ratio of 1.45 or less. Websites recommend ratios of 1.45 - 1.75. Will a diamond with a ratio less than 1.45 be less brilliant?

Also, are the table and depth proportions in a pear as important as in a round brilliant?

Would a round SI1, H color diamond appear whiter and clearer than a pear with the same specifications?

Sorry for all the questions, but there is not very much information online regarding pear shapes. Any additional advice and/or information regarding pears would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Tamra

It is difficult to recommend a shape to you as there really is no right or wrong answer. Rounds stones are the most popular however the shape you select is truly a personal preference.

Generally speaking it is easier to identify inclusions in a stone such as an emerald because it is a step cut rather then a brilliant cut. Stones that are Brilliant cut have more facets and light bouncing so it becomes more difficult for the naked eye to locate the inclusions. Both a Pear and Round stone are brilliant cuts.

Personally, in my experience, I have not found that color intensifies at the points of a Marquis or Pear shape. But one thing to consider is the bow tie effect, sometimes you may see a shadowy effect within the stone that resembles the shape of a bow tie. Bow tie effect can be stronger in some stones then it is in others and is determined on a stone by stone basis.

It is good that you have an idea of the length to width ratio that you prefer. I dont think that the ratio has an effect on the brilliance so much as the visual aesthetic on the shape of the stone.

The cut of any shape whether it is a Round or Pear will determine how well the stone sparkles, so for a Pear shape I would recommend a staying somewhere in the depth range of 58-65 and table 53-64.

If a Round and Pear stone have both been graded and H color by the same grading lab you should not see any difference between the color in the shapes (besides the possible bow tie effect in the pear). How clean an SI1 clarity will appear to the naked eye would need to be determined on a stone by stone basis. Some SI stones are eye clean while you may see the inclusions in another SI....

I hope that helps, happy shopping!

Hi Tamra!

1) which cut shows inclusions more:

This is really a case of stone by stone- imperfection by imperfection.

Sometimes an SI2 can be totally eye clean in either cut.

Sometimes an SI1's imperfection can be seen naked eye- round or pear.

GIA dopes not grade imperfection based on visibility- rather based on the prescence of imperfection. Sometimes the imperfections hide pretty well.

2)Points, and color intensification.

In some cases a I-J-K color pear or round may show some tint.

If a pear has ths tendancy, the point may be a center for the eye- and there may more preceived color there.

Still, there are pears -and rounds - in the lower colors that really don't show much of a tint.

Again- it's a stone by stone basis.

3)L x W Ratios:

Personally, I look at the diamond- if it has a graceful shape, I usually like it.

Be it elongated, or squatty. No one is wrong for liking a drawn out "tall " pear- or one like the photo

I have seen a lot of "Squatty" pears that had great brilliance.

Here's a "Squatty Yellow Pear"

103pear.JPG

4) Table/Depth Ratios:

When it comes to round diamonds the paramters are relatively narrow. For example- a dpeth of 50% would liik horrible in a modern round brilliant- yet I've seen some drop dead georgeous pears at 50%- same for 75%....and every number in between.

Of course a pear shape with a depth of 50% will look a lot larger than one of the same weight with a 75% depth.

It's also more common for a 50% depth diamond to be .....lifeless- but it's certainly NOT a given.

You really have to see the diamond...

Personally, I LOVE pear shapes....

I'll bet you can't guess what color this one was....

412f.JPG

Fancy shape diamonds such as the Pear, Marquise, Oval, Princess, etc cannot be evaluated and bought solely by looking at the "numbers". Numbers are non-predictive of visual beauty.

If you're shopping on-line, you need pictures, lots of 'em.

Ask the Vendor to photograph the diamond from different angles. This is the only way you'll know if you like the stone enough to buy it.