Surface Graining??

bman040

So i found what appears to be a good deal from an online diamond vendor. Its a round brilliant, .74, H, VVS2, GIA Excellent Cut. All cut characteristics are 1A according to the AGA rules. Price is $2757. On the GIA report it describes the inclusions as needle, pinpoint, and surface graining. That last one makes me nervous...makes it sound like its all scratched up. (not to mention I haven't seen that described on any other of the billions of GIA and AGS reports I've been looking at for the past couple hours) Then on the other hand, the fact that its VVS2 tells me that whatever it is, its too small to see with the naked eye. I'm nervous about inclusions though, because my local jewler was showing me a EGL VS1 the other day, and I could definately see some inclusions without magnification. Made me alot more skeptical about Clarity (I was originally planning on purchasing as low as SI1), especially purchasing online without being able to see it first. So what is surface graining, and is it anything I need to worry about??

And one more thing, I know its a rather selfish question (as in trying to get a free appraisal by experts) but i can't resist...Is that a reasonable price for this diamond??

Thanks.

Surface graining is a visible imperfection (under magnification) that affects the polish. It comes from the growth patterning in the original crystal. If it were bad, you would have less than good 'polish', which means you wouldn't get an 'excellent' cut grade and you also wouldn't have a VVS2. I wouldn't worry about it. I couldn't give you a straight answer to whether the stone will perform well without seeing it but the stats you've listed are a good start.

Reaffirming the price is rarely a good reason to get an appraisal on a new item. Surely you already know the answer to your question or you never would have made it this far. The point of new item appraisals is to confirm or refute what you've been told in the sales presentation, identify any difficulties that aren't mentioned on the lab report, quality control the whole process and provide a reasonable set of documentation as a basis for an insurance contract.

EGL does not use the term VS1 in the same way that GIA does.

Neil