GEM SCRIBING?

EricH

I RECENTLY PURCHASED A DIAMOND FROM A LARGE CHAIN JEWELRY STORE. THE DIAMOND THAT I BOUGHT WAS CONSIDERED A "VENDOR" DIAMOND. WHICH I ASSUME MEANS IT WAS BOUGHT FROM AN OUTSIDE AGENT.

THEY TOLD ME WHILE I WAS SHOPPING THAT ALL OF THEIR DIAMONDS HAD A SERIAL NUMBER SCRIBED ON THEM. I WAS DISAPPOINTED TO FIND OUT THAT THE DIAMOND I PURCHASED DID NOT. THE ONLY MEANS OF IDENTIFYING THE "VENDOR" DIAMOND THAT I BOUGHT WAS BY UTILIZING THE CERTIFICATION DOCUMENTS AND MATCHING THE INCLUSION. IT WOULD SEEM THAT IF THE DIAMOND WAS EVER STOLEN, IT WOULD BE MORE DIFFICULT TO IDENTIFY NOW. I COULD HAVE IT GEM-SCRIBED FOR A FEW HUNDRED BUCKS, BUT IS IT NECESARY?

ERIC

If they promised you a diamond with a girdle inscription as part of the sale, you should get a diamond with a girdle inscription. It makes no difference where they get their supplies. They can get this done for a reasonable price from any number of different suppliers. In the situation you describe, you should not have to pay extra for it.

No, it's not necessary for identifying a particular diamond but it is kind of handy.

Neil

Hi,

Thanks for the input. I was somewhat concerned that my diamond would not be identifiable if it were stolen. The Jeweler did not promise me that, but I was unaware that a "vendor" diamond would be any different than a diamond I purchased on hand. I guess I understand that a vendor would not have the diamond scribed, I assumed it would be an option for me to get that done by my jeweler, because all of their in stock diamonds have a serial number inscribed on them. Overall I am still very happy with my purchase, my fiance absolutely loves the diamond and I wouldn't dream of going through the trouble at this point, but perhaps down the road I may change my mind.

Thanks again!