Staining

Guest katkaska

Guest katkaska

My diamond ring is colorless (E-F) And clarity is SI (I)/SI (2). The Polish/Symmetry is good/good. Now, I don't really know what most if this means, but I do know that I love my ring and when it is clean it is beautiful. A while back my ring started to take on a yellowed or brown look. And even the super sonic cleaners at the jeweler's would not take it off. The woman at the store said it was hard water staining. I contacted a couple other jeweler's to ask about that and they said they really had never heard of that unless my stone had been burnt in the sizing process and the residue that was left was capturing the stain. So I got an acid bath for my ring and it worked, but now it is once again taking on that yellowed look. Can you tell me if this really is due to hard water, which we do have or if it may be something else and how do I clean it myself? They charge at the store for the acid wash and it takes a week to be done. I hate to give my ring up for that. Thank you very much.

Kristy

The usual problem has to do with the metal of the mounting, not the diamond itself. This might be as simple a problem to solve as a rhodium plating on the insides of the prongs. What's your ring made of?

'burnt' diamonds are pretty distinctive and cleaning doesn't make it better. This is very unlikely to be the problem.

Neil

Hi,

I have seen rings with diamonds that take on a darkened look due to hard water, you need to find a jeweler that is willing to give the ring a thourough cleaning with alternating treatments consisting of heated acid baths, heated ultrasonic and steam cleaner blasts.

The minerals in the water can be very stubborn and have probably lodged into the tiny area between the prongs and the diamond which is all it takes to give the diamond a noticible tint.

Once you get it clean, it may be best to take the ring off while watching dishes etc

As Neil said, it is a good idea to rhodium plate the prongs (after it is perfectly clean)

Brian