to cut/polish GIA cert. diamond or not?

JaniceAnn

I own a 1.28 carat brilliant cut diamond (depth 62.0, table 58%) girdle med., culet none, polish excellent, symmetry excellent clarity SI1, color D Fluoresence strong blue, GIA certified..I am purchasing a new semi-mounting and the jeweler said that he is not sure why (he looked at the cert. info.,) but that they did not polish the edges around the girdle so it is not faceted around the middle. He suggests that I have his cutter polish and facet the girdle area to create more brilliance and beauty in all directions (when you look at the diamond from the side, it does appear flat around the edge)...he is requesting $350.00 to do this...would this change my GIA cert. and is it a safe thing to do? What if they damage the stone, is there anything I can do? They (the jewelry staff) said their cutter does beautiful work and I will be amazed at how much nicer it will look when he is finished (and it will take minimal off the stone to polish the edges)....do I trust them?? Thanks!! I need to make a decision soon as I am purchasing the setting from them...

Faceting the girdle doesn’t have a big effect on the optics of a stone. It does make it easier to keep it clean, which helps you get the most out of that D color, but I don’t generally recommend this sort of thing unless the stone is damaged.

An unfaceted girdle is not unusual.

Depending on your market, the fee sounds relatively reasonable but you are correct that this will make your lab report invalid. A new GIA exam will cost you about $150 plus shipping to and from the lab unless you happen to live in San Deigo or NYC and can hand deliver it so the real cost is more like $600 for the whole faceting deal. I wouldn’t do it.

Cutters do not take damage liability on stones and the stores brokering them usually don’t either. Ask this question directly and, if they answer is that they do, get it in writing. The risk of damage is quite low on this kind of work but it’s not zero. Weight loss should be minimal.

Neil

thank you for your quick and informative reply...I do like the idea of possibly getting a little more brilliance for the D color of the stone...the jeweler said it will also increase the value of the diamond slightly...I will ask them about the liability coverage if any...If I may ask you one more question, I would appreciate your thoughts...I am considering (probably over the next year) trading up to a Hearts on Fire 1.25 carat diamond and I discussed this idea with this particular jeweler who carries these...he offered to give me $7,000 on a trade for an E, SI1, 1.23 HOF and I would pay my stone and an additional $10,000.00......I declined and will look around....what do you think? In other words, he said the HOF was worth $17,000 and my diamond is worth $7,000.....is this "in the ballpark"? Thanks again for your help!! Jan

Trade in programs are about the dealer, not the diamond. Use the ‘find online jeweler’ link at the top of the page to get some offers for stones similar to the one you’re trading in. $7000 is a pretty strong offer for the one you’re giving up. If you sold it yourself, you probably wouldn’t get that much. Faceting the girdle will not have a significant effect on your resale ability and probably won’t affect the trade in.

$17k for the HoF is a pretty strong premium for the brand name. The pros here can beat that easily with comparable for a whole lot less money. If you’re not attached to the brand, consider the alternative suppliers of super-ideal cut diamonds. There are several who are regular posters on the forum. DiamondIdeals and SuperbCert come to mind immediately as people who support this discussion forum and who deserve your consideration.

Neil