Diamond Color

curious1

I just bought an ideal cut, h color, 2 carat certified diamond. I have read a bunch about the color H and many say that the color cannot be seen easily when mounted. I have not given the ring to my girlfriend yet and have spent time looking at it in different enviornments since I bought it. Seems like in my indoor lighting which has a little yellow tint, the ring appears a little more yellow. However, outside it appears beautiful. Do colorless diamonds - D, E, F appear a little yellow in yellowish light. Is the H color diamond that I bought a good quality color? Did I make a mistake buying an H color diamond? Bottom line: Am I being crazy?

It is a certified diamond from a trusted jeweler in town. I guess my question is: Is an ideal cut, H color in a two carat diamond a quality stone? I want to make sure that I didnt make a mistake by getting an H rather than something in the D,E,F,G range. From your response, it sounds like the H color is very similar to the colorless stones when mounted. Its just that I have spent a good amount of money and want to make sure it is right. My girlfriend means a lot to me and I want it to be right. I dont want her or anyone else to think it is a second rate stone and I certainly don't want her to think it is yellow.

So what should I do? want to make sure that I didnt make a mistake by getting an H rather than something in the D,E,F,G range. From your response, it sounds like the H color is very similar to the colorless stones when mounted. Its just that I have spent a good amount of money and want to make sure it is right. My girlfriend means a lot to me and I want it to be right. I dont want her or anyone else to think it is a second rate stone and I certainly don't want her to think it is yellow.

My wife wears a J/SI1 and is absolutely thrilled with it. It consistently outshines everything in the room and she has even been known to have strangers at stores ask her about her ring. 'Yellow' is NEVER one of the words people use to describe it.

What should you do? Present it to her with pride and worry about the important stuff like what college to send the kids to. Practice using the word 'fiancee' instead of 'girl friend'.

Neil

So are you saying that i have nothing to worry about with an H graded diamond? You said your wife was happ with hers but never answered if I should have gone for an E or F. Just want to make sure it is right before I pop the question. How often do people buy an H vs. an F? Is H the most popular because it is cheaper or because it is impossible to tell the difference between a mounted H and a mounted E, F, G?

The problem is like asking which raindrop is the one that made a storm. Not everyone would make the same choice. For some, it’s the 1st one and a single drop of rain is still a storm, just not a very severe one. These people buy D colors. Others would draw the line somewhere above a sprinkle and below a tempest while others don’t even understand the question because they just don't care since they brought their umbrella anyway.

A lot of people *DO* by H’s. A lot of people buy J's that get described as H's because they can't tell the difference and the prices are attractive. For most people, the diamond shopping experience is one of balancing the 4C’s (or 5 or 6) against $$$. If it weren’t for the money thing, everyone would be buying 10 carat D/IF’s after all. The question becomes one of deciding what to trade off. D-E-F stones have an icy look to them that a lot of people like and are willing to pay extra to get. You definitely do get something for your money and there are plenty of customers who are thrilled that they paid extra to get it but this is not where your questions began. You asked if an H would appear yellow in the mounting. A correctly graded H will not.

Neil

Curious1,

D,E and F colors are categorized as "colorless". G and H are at the top end of "near colorless". To most people, an ideal cut G or H stone will appear just as white as a colorless stone, but there are some people who are particularly sensitive to color and can make out the difference even when mounted. They may see the stones as a warmer shade of white. The most important thing here is your peace of mind. The H Ideal Cut you have purchased may be gorgeous and offer an excellent value, but it seems to me that you are having your doubts. I recommend that you put your mind at ease either by accepting what the experts here are telling you: an H is gorgeous, or swap the stone for a colorless. Then you will have no more doubts.

I hope this helps.

George