Got Diamond Questions?
Our community of diamond experts are here to provide answers
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Guest

Should I buy a diamond in Canada or the US

Guest Guest

I would like to buy a radiant cut diamond (specs TBD)and I have $10,000.

US $$ to spend. I live in the States but I am from Canada.

Am I better off spending $10,000. US $$ in the states or should I convert it to Canadian funds ($16,000 Canadian $$) and buy the stone in Canada.

Which country would I get better value for my budget?

Hi. This is Martin Sheffield from USA Certed Diamonds. There is no question about it that you should definitely buy your diamond in the U.S. There is no 10% excise tax and no 7% GST. These taxes are applicable in Canada. For the highest grade GIA certed radiant cut diamond for the absolute lowest possible price please email myself at: sales @usacerteddiamonds.com. or call 1800 252 1476 . Please visit our website at www.usacerteddiamonds.com

Lets assume that I am buying a diamond in Canada and shipping it to the US. I would then not have to pay excise or GST.

What I really want is an independent answer about pricing in Canada versus the US. Not a retailer trying to convince me to buy from them.

Greg, some of the research we did when we built our price engine indicated that base prices (that is, prices not including taxes, shipping, etc.) did not vary much from one country to another. You'll find that most industry experts will agree with this. Given that, optimize the tax situation to best suit you.

Our research found that most of the variation in prices will occur between retailers. This is a no-brainer, but we have the data to prove it.

Incidentally, if you're looking for aggressive pricing, you should indeed look at usacerteddiamonds.com. Although DiamondReview.com doesn't endorse any specific jewelers, their prices are worth a look, regardless of the "sell" you may have perceived from Martin. In the end, whether or not you buy from them is always up to you!

Good luck with your search,

Cheryl Dinkins

(DiamondReview.com staff)

Are you in Canada or the US. The US has the most competitive prices that I have seen and you don't run any risks of credit card purchase outside of the US. Usually if you use a credit card, you have some chance if things don't go well to stop your credit card purchase using th credit company. But if you purchase 100 miles out of the US borders these rules don't apply. Have to be careful in the Carribean as well.

Jan

Jan

For those that want to know the truth about diamonds, just ask.

dbof.com