Please help

Mrsg730

Hi:

I am new to the site but have posted a couple of times. Thanks for those who responed. I do need help trying to determine if the ring my husband bought was a fair price. I do love the ring but then again I love diamonds as two people who don't know much about diamonds except the fact that we love them your input and opinion is invaluable to us. I do have an appointment with and independent appraiser but still value your opinion.

The diamond is a 1.61 princess cut H VVS2 depth of 68 % table 65% with a crown height of 12.9% and a medium girdle the width /length is 6.47/6.65.

He said he paid approximately $9700 for it. Would you consider a fair price.

An educated and considered opinion from a qualified and independent appraiser who has the opportunity to examine the stone is vastly more useful than anything we could say here. It would be counterproductive for us to try to second guess them. Let us know what they say after your appointment.

Congratulations on your new diamond.

Neil

Really?

How’s that Shahar? What’s the connection between fluorescence and ‘fair’?

We know nothing about the grading accuracy, the cutting, the condition, the marketplace chosen or the terms and conditions of the deal. How could you possibly offer useful information about what is a 'fair price' without knowing this information?

Neil

There is no connection between Fl to 'fair'

High fluorescence affect the price. If you don't know about that you in the wrong business.

You are right about grading accuracy. Grading is just an opinion and many times you can arrgue it.

However we GIA gives H color I know what to expect. when EGL gives H color I know to expect something else.

If the stone was an SI color, it will be more difficult to estimate price since I don't know the shape, and location of the inclusion. In this case the stone is VVS2.

With the right information I can give you a range of what this stone should sell for wholesale and retail. I am in this business before I had my Bar Mitzva so I know what I am talking about.

Shahar

Please define your terms. I’m especially interested in the terms ‘retail’ and ‘wholesale’ since you’re the only one who has used either one of them. Do you seriously think that all retail outlets charge the same prices? Is the most 'fair' the one with the lowest price? What about retailers who describe themselves as wholesalers?

The question was if $9700 was a fair price for a stone that was briefly and incompletely described. You said you said you could answer this if you were provided with a few tidbits of additional information. Really?

Just for arguments sake, assume that the stone is accompanied by a grading report issued by EGL-USA that was the source of the data quoted above and that says it has medium blue fluorescence. Does that make $9700 fair?

Good Morning:

Thanks to you both for responding I really appreciate your time and I understand both points of view. I agree with Neil and an idependent appraisal is the best way to answer my question(s) but I also agree with Shahar I have seen many more savvy members give opinions about a specific stone, which is all I want . I have read opinions from keep shopping to beautiful stone to it's a keeper! If you think you can give me an opinion about the ring I would really appreciate it. I may not know a lot about diamonds but I do know and trust that both of you know more than enough, certainly much more than me, to give an opinion.

Here are the specifics with the additional information Shahar requested.

1.61 Carat

H VVS2

depth of 68.7 %

table 65.4%

crown height of 12.9%

medium girdle

measurements 6.47 x 6.65.

length to width ratio 1.03

Flourescence None

cutlet None

Polish/Symmetry "very good"

Again Thank you,

Evelyn

The price you paid is reasnable.

It is possible to find it in a lower price as well as higher.

You got a little spready (usually princess cut diamonds have over 70% depth) stone which make it look bigger then it is. It should not affect the brilliance of the stone.

Hope I was able to help,

Shahar

Thank you,

Just knowing that someone that knows more about diamonds than we do thinks it is fair deal makes me feel a little better. Like you said there are probably comparable diamonds out there that he could have found for less as well as more. I wasn't trying to imply that I wanted to know if he got a bargain, I wanted to know if it was fair.

Neil, with the knowledge you have and the information on the stone, would a diamond of this size and qualities go in this price range?

I will let you both know what the appraiser says.

Evelyn

For reasons that I gave above, I can’t assign an appropriate value to your deal. If you do a search at the top of the page on the link ‘find online jeweler’ and enter your general specs, you will find quite a few offers for superficially similar stones and they are all in the same general price range. Deciding on the merits of this particular stone (or any other particular stone for that matter) would require examining it and discussing with you the attributes that you consider to be important but, based solely on the information provided, it looks promising. I look forward to hearing what you appraiser says.

Ask your vendor what they mean by 'very good' cut on a princess. There is not a standardized scale and different vendors will use this term very differently.

Neil

Thanks Neil:

I understand your position completely and as long as it "looks promising" I will continue to find out if it really is. I have been speaking with a few appraisers trying to get a price as well as set up an appointment but I am being blown away by some of the prices I am getting. It might be just my lack of knowledge in this area but I didn't know that an appraisal could cost $300. While it seems to include everything ie: a diamond grading report, mounting analysis, photos, descriptions, valuations and documentation for insurance it seems a bit high for me. Is this what an appraisal for a ring usually costs? Do I need all these things if I have a GIA report? I thought it was a lot less detailed.

Thanks again,

Evelyn

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Everyone:

I just had my Blue Nile Diamond princess cut ring appraised by an independent appraiser and was very pleased. I was a little concerned when my husband first gave it to me but the appraiser agreed with everything Blue Nile said. He even appraised it's wholesale value about 15% higher than my husband paid. The appraiser said the stone was beautifully cut, the polish and symmetry was excellent and "it was an exceptionally clean stone. He said if I paid anything less than the wholesale value we did very well. I am soo happy!!! I can now wear my beautiful ring without any concerns!!!

Thanks for responding

Evelyn