Blue Nile/Ring Experience...

crablegs33

Hi all,

First I just wanted to thank everyone on these forums... just lurking helped me a great deal in finding the perfect ring for my girlfriend (now fiance).

My ring buying experience happened as follows:

At Stanford shopping center in mid-July I stopped by Gleim jewelers... A ring there had caught my eye. It was an oval cut, .7 carat, D color, Vs2 and in a white gold setting the salesman told me it would cost me $4k... I certainly wasn't going to make an impulsive decision, I really liked the ring but was going to do my homework... The whole process in person felt kind of slimy used car salesmanish... I wanted to buy a ring, not be sold one.

I then began my online research... I found a diamond shopping guide, I think it was at bridaltips.com or something along those lines and it recommended blue nile as their favorite online retailer... I began checking the site out and i really liked the interface etc... (I had looked at a few other sites online, and found the side by side comparisons to not be as helpful as they were at blue nile... ) I liked their selection of settings, and their selection of stones as well...

I found a diamond and setting that I really liked... It was a simple solitaire setting w/ a .9 carat round stone that had medium-strong fluorescence... i had no idea what that meant exactly so i gave them a call... They were very helfpul/firiendly in giving me info about flourescence... they sent me a study done by GIA and told me to call if i had any questions about the article/needed help w/ the terminology... I looked the next day online, and it said the diamond had been sold, but that was okay because i decided to avoid the fluorescence...

I continued to browse bluenile/other sites online... Overall, the sites that i checked were all pretty nice... Some of them were frustrating because they had diamonds that were graded by a lower tier grading company, or didn't have a scan of their certificate from the grading company available... Blue Nile was pretty good about having all this info, and all their rings were GIA or AGSL... so that again nudged me towards them...

Finally I felt like i had to see more options in person... I still wasn't sure about things like---

-how visible is the difference in size between .7 and .8 carats?

-exactly how big is a .8 carat diamond? I had never really asked a woman how many carats her ring was as i felt it would be way out of line...

-how apparent is the difference in color between a G color or I color...

etc. etc...

despite all the helpful guides at sites online, these were things that i really needed to see with my own eyes...

So i went to the jewelry exchange in redwood city, ca... Upon entry I received the whole "we don't work on commision" speech etc... I immediately asked to see some loose stones... The salesperson then approached me... she was a younger woman w/ a strong russian accent... I told her I was shopping for stones in the .7-1 carat range,

of good quality in the 4 c's... she brought me out a 1 carat princess cut that was uncertified and quite pricey... i told her I was only interested in certified diamonds and she brought out a new one... she showed me a round and pricess cut diamonds between .7 and .8 carats, that were of about H color, and SI2 clarity... the stones were around 2200$ a piece... and she began trying to sell me on a band... I told her I was looking for something simple and she began pulling out these very elaborate settings... telling me that they are what my girlfriend would want... (just a side note, her own ring was freaking awful) I didn't like the pushiness/attitude so i left... I had gotten what i had come for, a better feeling of what i was purchasing online... I had decided that a stone in the 3/4 of a carat range would be great... 3/4 of a carat is much bigger than i thought it would have been...

So the hunt online began again... I had found a setting that i thought was great at blue nile... it was $750 had two small diamonds out side (1/5 ct TW) two saphires inside those and then the center diamond...

I was comparing a few diamonds in the 2/3 to 3/4 of a carat range... I sent my diamond comparison into the customer support and asked for their advice, or if they would recommend any stones within my budget...

They sent me the info on a GIA diamond that was 2/3 ct. , with G color, ideal cut, SI2 clarity for $1400...

I compared it next to several diamonds of very similar size and quality and this diamond was $500 less than the others... I was a bit concerned... SI2 diamonds "could have inclusions visible to the naked eye"... is that why this stone was so much less than the other diamonds?... I called blue nile again, and they told me they would ask their distributor who had the stone... it came back that it looked great to the naked eye, and i got out of there for around 2100 w/ a ring I was very excited about...

The site was very helfpul in keeping track of my ring from A to B... after it was sent they kept track of the rings location etc... it was supposed to be delivered that monday, and was when i was work... I called blue nile to get my tracking number etc... and they said they would contact fed ex for me to have the diamond helf at fed ex for pick up later that day...

I am extremely pleased with this ring.... my fiance, her friends, co-workes etc.. all love it... I wouldn't change a thing...

I must say that i will confidently shop blue nile for future purchases... be sure to use their customer support though... they helped me a great deal and ended up getting me out of there pretty cheaply...