Confused about SI2 clarity - visible or invisible?

dw00001

Hello board,

I was at a local jewelry store today and I looked at a 6.1 ct diamond. Some inclusions and feathers are visible to my naked eyes. The inclusions are not visible right away from any angle. I had to focus my eyes on the specific areas of the stone at a few correct angles to see (and from some angles, most of them are not visible at all). The seller told me it has an SI-2 clarity. I told him that this can't be SI-2 because of the inclusions that are visible to my naked eyes. He said that for large stones like this, there will always be some inclusions visible to naked eyes and the stone is still SI-2, not the I grade.

I did a lot of research online and several places offer different explanations on SI-2. Some said some SI2 stones can have small, eye visible inclusions, while some said inclusions must be eye-invisible, otherwise it would be an I clarity.

My question is that, by sticking to the GIA, AGL, or even EGL standard on diamond clarity grade, can large stones (like 5+ ct) with visible inclusions to naked eyes still be categorized as an SI2 clarity? Or it doesn't matter what carat weight is -- if visible to naked eye, then it must be I clarity? By the way, I didn't ask to see the certificate (to see if it's GIA or AGL) because I had a hard time believing in what he said about the clarity, so I just left the store.

Thank you!

I did a lot of research online and several places offer different explanations on SI-2. Some said some SI2 stones can have small, eye visible inclusions, while some said inclusions must be eye-invisible, otherwise it would be an I clarity.

Not everything you read on the Internet is correct.

‘Eye visible’ is not part of the definition of SI2 in the GIA grading scale.

SI2 stones have inclusions that are easily noticeable by a trained observer under 10x and that do not materially affect the beauty or durability of the stone. In the case of 6 carat stones, this almost always includes eye visible inclusions.

Neil

• 1 year later...

Dear Neil,

I have purchased a 1.04carat diamond, G color, SI1 and when viewed from above no spots to the naked eye. However when looked from the site of the diamond I noticed 2 black spots. Isn't supposed the SI1 clarity not be visible to the naked eye?

Thank you in advanced for your answer.

HI Everyone!

As Neil mentioned- GIA's definitions do not include the term "Eye Clean"

In fact, I have seen VS2 round diamonds who's imperfections are visible to the naked eye- although that's very rare.

In the case of 6 carat stones, this almost always includes eye visible inclusions.

I do disagree with the above statement. Many of the SI2 6 carat stones I've seen were eye clean. Still, I agree you should excercise caution when shopping for an SI2 -it's the kind of thing that must be seen- you just can't make assumptions

• 2 weeks later...