COLOR GRADE

pamiewamie

I have a pair of earring my jeweler friend has for sale. They are 1 carat round studs set in 14kt yellow gold. They have SI2 clarity but the color is considered K. She said they are very sparkly and that from a distance the yellowish doesnt even seem noticable. In your opinion would this color stone be suitable for earrings?

THanks Pam

If you like K colors then there's nothing wrong with K. As you know, there is always an issue with this sort of question about who called them SI2 K. For some reason, J-K seems to be the bottom of the color scale for certain dealers and I've had stones come in that were sold as K that have turned out to be more like Q and stones that were K that are being sold as H or I.

Neil

Pamie,

You can use the ‘find online jeweler’ link at the top of the page to pull up advertisements for stones that claim similar specs. It’s also worth noticing that 2.0ct total weight earrings are rarely 1.00 each. The manufacturer will pair a 0.90 with a 1.10 in order to get the price break on one of them while still showing the impression that they are a carat each.

Neil