information on Antique rings. 5.0 ct cluster

Bob Creswell

I need an idea of what something like this piece would be worth. The ring is an antique 1850`s era. Its a plat band, with a cluster of diamonds on a high mount. The diamonds are round in shape, color D (blue) and vvs1 clarity. The center stone is 2.25 ct, and has 1.10 ct beside that on either side. Around the center and side stones there are 6 0.25ct. Total cts size of the ring is 5.25.

Anyone who has ever seen an antique ring with such a cluster of unique diamonds, please get in touch. My email is creswellconst1@verizon.net.

The diamonds are very rare blue in color, with great clarity.

Anyone should be able to give you a materials value for the diamonds.. The platinum is worth next to nothing.. And "D" is not "Blue".. A D color refers to colorless and aren't actually all that rare..

Now, if this is a true antique it will require a real appraisal by someone experienced in antique jewelry.. The maker, actualy date made, and style can all greatly affect the true value of the ring..

Bob,

Welcome to the site!

Valuation involves a bit of a process and we won't be able to give you a straight answer without both considering the piece and without understand what marketplace you are considering. I may be able to walk you through some of it but, in the end, this sounds like it will require an appraisal from someone experienced with antique jewelry.

1) You mentioned quite a bit of detailed information that is difficult to determine. Date of manufacture, weights and grades of stones, type of metal, etc. Where did you get this information?

2) When you say 'worth', what do you mean? The amount you should insure it for? The amount you could expect to sell it for? The amount a jewelry store would charge for it? Something else entirely?

3) Are the diamonds blue, meaning the color when you look at them?

4) Do you have posession of the piece? If so, can you post a photo?

Neil

Thankyou for your kind responses. The ring was purchased in Toronto in

the 1930`3 by my grandfather to my Grandmother for their engagement. My

grandmother picked an antique ring back then. Which suggests that it had to

be at least 50 yrs old back then. At that time it was during the

depression and there was a lot of expensive diamond rings on the market. My

Grandfather paid an substantional amount of money for the ring at the time.

Allow the actual figure was never talked about. The diamonds are refered to

as blue diamonds allow they appear white in color.

A jewler back in Ireland said there color was D, round in shape and had a

clarity of vvs1. This was back in the 60`s when my Grandmother had to make

a repair to one off the 0.25ct settings. The ring itself has`nt seen the

day of light in many years, probably since that dat back then in the 60`s.

My grandmother always maintained the ring was worth alot of money. The ring

itself has never been insured ,which is a shame. I`m trying to get a price

for insurance purposes only. I have a good idea that the ring is worth a

bit of money. Put it this way at the time my Grandmother had it repaired the

Jeweler fixing it said he never had seen anything quite like it . Within

the next month when my Mother is visiting form N.Ireland we plan to take it

to an independant diamond appraiser in Philly. I used this website as a

possible head ups to the start in the process. There will be a few Photo`s

soon to come. Would the diamonds be worth more alone, or would the antique

ring!

mounting and style of the ring be better untouched?

Always Bob Creswell

-------------------------------------------------

The Diamond Review team.

http://www.diamond.info/forum/index.php

What a great story. Thanks, :D

The purpose of a typical insurance policy is to provide sufficient funding to allow the company to replace or repair the item in case of a loss thereby making you whole again. The ‘replace’ clause generally has to do with replacing with another of ‘like kind and quality’ or very similar wording. For jewelry, there are two general approaches. They can look on the secondary or resale market for a ring that is of sufficiently similar design, materials, craftsmanship, authorship, provenance, etc. that both you and the company can agree that it will be acceptable or they can manufacture a new item with similar and sufficient properties.

This many seem like an irrelevant trip down the rabbit hole of appraisal theory but really it’s kind of important to understanding the value. If the key value attributes are things like authorship, and the designer is now deceased, it’s impossible to replace with new, ruling out the second choice and if a key element of value is things like provenance (ownership history), it’s likely to rule out the first. Fine art appraisers deal with this problem regularly. Imagine you were wishing to insure an expensive painting by a deceased artist. In the case of a loss, it will not be possible to commission the artist to make a new painting, there may or may not be an acceptable ‘used’ painting by that artist available in the galleries or auctions and a painting by an alternative artist, although lovely, is simply not the same thing. This leads to a third option in insurance - a defined value. If you have a loss, they write a check and they don’t make any attempt to replace. You then buy another painting, or not, based on whatever is available and whatever you like.

In the case of jewelry like yours, these questions become important. Any way you slice it, you probably have a fairly valuable piece. Replacement new, which is how 98% of jewelry appraisals are done, will be estimating the cost to manufacture a new ring with similar materials, techniques, craftsmanship and the like, usually at the local retail marketplace where the appraisal is doing business. Obviously this is going to cost more than the materials alone. In many cases it’s quite a bit more. Replacement used will be estimating the cost to purchase a similar item on the secondary or used market. Usually this means auction and ‘similar’ can be a pretty important key phrase for the appraiser to define. The third choice will be based on a specific agreement between you and your insurance company. It usually boils down to what would be a reasonable expectation for that particular item to sell for in the secondary market. In many cases, this is easy because there is an actual transaction involving the piece (meaning the client bought it) and they will simply use the receipt. In cases like yours, where there is no recent transaction and there is no documentation, they will want an appraisal with the appraisers educated speculation on what this item would cost in it’s present condition, again usually in the local marketplace.

I realize that in more than a page of text I still haven’t answered your question and I’m not going to be able to, but hopefully you now understand why not. The business of appraising has changed quite a bit since the 60’s and your appraiser in Philly should be able to help you with several items. First, the description. Back I the 50’s and 60’s, ‘blue white’ was a description occasionally used to describe diamond color. It’s pretty broad and doesn’t translate well into modern language. Although D is from a modern scale, your source of it is questionable and it may or may not be accurate. The same is true with the clarity, cutting, weight and similar physical attributes. They should be able to document exactly what you have, test the metals, possibly identify the manufacturer and similar specific details. The value conclusion will depend on a discussion of details like what I’m discussing in the above few paragraphs.

Neil