how much should i pay for a .99 carat dimond with

almass

What type of cut is it? What shape is it (round, princess, etc.)? I'd expect that you could find some good deals for around $5,000 for ones that are ideally cut. For a lesser cut, you could probably find one for $4,500 to $4,700.

And there is essentially NO difference between a 0.99 carat diamond and a 1.0 carat diamond other than the price (and ... well ... 0.01 carats technically...). When you go from 0.99 to 1.0, there's usually a bigger price leap than going up from say, a .98 to a .99, just because you hit the 1.0 mark which is pretty popular.

If you can tell the difference, I'll give you or anyone else a cookie. :lol:

Take care,

Brian

brian@beforeproposing.com

I'd expect that you could find some good deals for around $5,000 for ones that are ideally cut.

Brian

Nonsense!

A correctly graded, 0.99ct., ideal cut, VS1/H with GIA paper is a nearly impossible call and, if by some stroke of luck you find one, there is no way it will be available for $5000 in ANY reasonably likely marketplace. There are plenty of circumstances where it will cost twice that.

Brian, you are a fool and your advice is destructive. Almass asked a common, if incomplete, question about a stone being considered and you gave an answer that has a 99% chance of being wildly misleading and there is no clue if the other 1% applies. This is not the first time I’ve needed to correct a grossly misleading statement by you and I’m not the only one who has done so. It’s getting tiresome.

Neil

Almass,

It’s correct that diamond prices generally go up as a function of weight and that there are certain steps where they tend to jump. 1.00 carat is just such a step because some people like the idea of a full carat and are willing to pay extra to get it. Others want visual size, brilliance, price, or some combination of these. A single point has no significant visual affect, two points has twice as much, etc. When does it become significant? Whether you are willing to pay extra to be over certain benchmarks of weight is up to you but small changes won’t generally affect anything visually and yes, it does sometimes cost extra.

There’s another wrinkle to this issue that is based on the fact that cutters are well aware of the situation. Cutting a 1 carat stone often produces more money than a lighter one and the cutters will regularly push the borders of bad cutting in order to get to that extra point or three. Stones at 1.00 will often have dreadful cuts for that reason. Why would anyone cut a 0.99? Two reasons: #1, the stone was cut to something over a carat, it got damaged and the repaired stone was just under and #2 somebody screwed up. That’s the reason a 0.99 ideal is nearly impossible to find.

To decide if you’re being offered a fair price, compare the stone to others that are similar in a similar marketplace. If we’re talking about internet purchases, you can look up lists of advertisements in quite a few sites, including this one. Check at the top of the page under ‘find online jeweler’. In the stores, you generally have to go in and talk to them. If you’ve actually seen this stone, you have an advantage. Do you like it? Do you love it? Your description is missing quite a bit of information for us to give you useful pricing information, especially the info about the cutting. This can make a factor of two difference in the final price and it can make the difference between a knockout stone and a dog so it’s not a tiny detail. Talk to your dealer and read up on the tutorials about cutting. It’ll be worth your trouble.

Neil

My 'guess' is that he got the "price" by looking at his affilliate at Blue Nile and saw that .94ct in similar descriptions was going for around $5000..

Again, Brian, I humbly suggest that before you go around offering professional advice to people you get some real training and learn a bit about what you are trying to do..

Hmm ... don't jump the gun on anything. I did a quick search through my database and found only three diamonds that matched that within 0.02 carats around that price. One was exactly 0.99, though. One of the three also had better color. All were graded by GIA. And yes, you can get it for about $5,000. I did, however, see several for over $6,000. I have no clue why they kept that one at 0.99 carats, as this isn't too common, but the cut and stats were good.

Take care,

Brian

Here are a few links. See my notes to each one. One that I liked is now gone or on hold (an ideal, .98, G color for just over $5,000 before any promo -- even though it's .01 less than the .99, the color upgrade is far better than the .01 difference in carat size), but one or two more popped up that were similar. All are graded by the GIA except one that I pointed out. All are also VS1 except for one that I pointed out as well (a VS2; it was very nice, though). Some are .99 carats, while two are 1.0 and 1.02. There were actually several more .99 carat diamonds with H color or better that were good deals, but they weren't GIA graded. So to make it easy, see a sample below with notes. I spoke to people on a few of these stones to check them out.

There are also tons of good deals on similar ones at 1.0 and a bit larger, but I only had time to check up on a few here below.

I can sometimes get some extra money off (besides the normal promos that several have), but that really varies from company to company.

http://www.abazias.com/database/NewDiamond...4144010&flag=dr

The table here is slightly off for ideal/excellent, so it's a premium cut, but every other stat is the same for about $5000 if wired.

http://search.virtcert.com/cgi/u/1041/v.cg..._fs=1&prestock=

Another premium cut for $4770, but jeweler said it looked nicer than several excellent/ideal cuts she has seen, so I posted it here (it's odd how this works out, but some people who see certain premium or very good cuts think that they actually look nicer than some ideal/excellent cuts).

http://www.abazias.com/database/NewDiamond...?stock=26101270

Excellent cut for $4460; .99 carats but VS2. Other stones have some better stats (as far as symmetry, polish, etc.), though.

http://www.bluenile.com/diamonds_details.a...=1&sortby=price

An 1.02 Ideal/Excellent cut. Is $5600 if wired, but you can knock off an immediate $150 with a promotion I have (for $5450) and I can sometimes get an extra $100 to $200 off as well for $5250 to $5350. A great diamond that breaks the 1.0 mark.

http://www.bluenile.com/diamonds_details.a...=1&sortby=price

1.0 Ideal/Excellent. Is $5591 if wired, then –$150 for $5441 and possibly an extra 100 to 200 too (although AGSL and not GIA) for $5241 to $5341.

I found a few in the $5500 to $5700 range that I would actually recommend a bit more, though (1.0 to 1.03 carat, most better than the H color he wanted, ideal cuts, great stats, etc.).

Take care,

Brian

Briankoz,

You are calling the diamond below an ideal cut?

Shape: Round

Cut Grade: Excellent

Carat weight: 0.99

Color: H

Clarity: VS2

Depth %: 57.5

Table %: 62

Symmetry: Fair

Polish: Good

Girdle: XTN-VTK

Culet: V

Fluorescence: N

Measurements: 6.58-6.64-3.8

If so, that is some pretty serious mis-information

An observation and a question.

I have not been around here much lately, but from what I've seen on this thread you seem to have two well respected professionals rather exasperated with your less than altruistic "help"

Since I have only seen Neil & Steve's online behavior as being very kind, patient, helpful and reserved, you must really be a pill!

Do you disclose to everyone you offer advice that you stand to make money from them if they follow your advice?

Brian Knox

The Abbias site listed it as an excellent cut and certified by GIA. I usually don't go with Abbias and Adol for several reasons. You can see them using this forum site's diamond search, though, if you want to see some more around that range.

That specific diamond that you mentioned I would not recommend myself, which you can see from my original note on it saying how the other diamonds had better stats. The search was looking for a specific diamond and a price range.

The diamonds around the targeted specifics (well, a bit better) that I'd recommend are the ones that would cost $5,200 to $5,700 roughly. These would be nice diamonds and a very good price for a 1 carat of that quality (although you can easily get some 1 carats at well over $6,000).

And yes, everyone that goes through me I tell that several of the diamonds I get a commission for (some I don't, though), and that this commission can vary greatly depending on the site. 99% of the time I go with the lower commission ones, because 99% of the time they have the better deals. If I didn't, it would be a pointless search.

The question here was just looking for a rough price -- not looking for anything else.

Brian

The first 2 links you posted are the same stone and is actually owned by a wholesaler in California so I'm not sure how anyone can say that it "looks" great.. Which brings us back to the whole virtual diamond discussion and not really knowing what you are buying in many cases..

As for some of the others, a 10% to 15%+ increase in budget for the stone is hardly a negligable fact for the 'slightly' larger stones..

Post a link to that ideal cut, 0.99ct., GIA graded, VS1 H (or better) for $5000 please.

Stone #1 by Abazias. Listed as ‘premium cut’, a term not used by GIA. GIA calls the symmetry good, a condition that is not available on stones with a final cut grade of ‘excellent’.

Stone #2 by Verticert. Same stone. Same problems only they don't try to call it 'premium'.

Stone #3 by Abazias. Symmetry Fair. Polish Good. Girdle XTN-VTK. All conditions that eliminate it from consideration as excellent grade from GIA.

Stone #4. Over 1ct. Over $5000.

Stone #5. Over 1ct. Over $5000. Not GIA graded.

Unfortunately none of these meet the specs given. I wish I could say I was surprised. The question here was not looking for a rough price as you said in your last post. It was looking for a stone that met some reasonably exact requirments. Requirements that came from YOUR post and that YOU said YOU could produce several examples of. Would you like to keep trying?

BrianKnox,

Here's a discussion that insued from Briankoz's very first post. Here's another one. I really do try to be polite, even when I'm speaking with people I disagree with and I apologize that my irritation is becoming so clear.

Neil

The few hundred more for the others brings in not only a few extra points for the carat weight (which indeed is NOT a big deal that can easily be seen), but the overall stats are better. The ones around the $5500 price (which I didn't post because it wasn't the targeted stones) have even better stats overall (color, polish, symmetry, etc.) and are from sites that I trust more. If I were personally choosing a diamond, though, I would generally go for a lower clarity, but still eye clean, and up all the other stats to end up with a cheaper diamond that probably looks a bit better. This can save a ton more, but that's just my personal preference.

Brian

I'm going from a customer's perspective and not a jeweler's. If a guy is curious about a 0.99 carat diamond, I can assume that he'd be interested in a 0.98 to 1.02 carat diamond. If most people say $5,000 is low (you seemed to think that was impossible for an ideal cut, H color, VS1 diamond), then we can assume that upping it a few hundred AND raising the carat level and stats is great. It does not "disqualify" anything. After the promo and deals, spending one to two hundred more than $5,000 should be a steal if you think that price is impossible. And those diamonds that you disqualified for being "over $5,000," you never mentioned anything about their stats because they are great diamonds for the price. If you think otherwise, please say so.

The other sites are not the most reliable and often seem to post higher quality diamonds than they really are (I don't know the site too well, and I'm sure they have some great deals, but I'm speaking from my past experiences with them). This is why I recommended the ones for a bit over $5,000.

Brian

BrianKnox,

Here's a discussion that insued from Briankoz's very first post.  Here's another one. I really do try to be polite, even when I'm speaking with people I disagree with and I apologize that my irritation is becoming so clear.

Neil

Hi Neil,

After being outed as an image thief and a misinformation dispensing shill, I don't know if this is a case of extreme chutzpah or pathological tendencies.

For sure, Hermann was being kind when he changed the name of the thread to Brian's thread.

But keeping the thread means it will eventually google, etc. which is a good idea.

Brian Knox

Around $5000 is still a price that you can find it around if you look hard enough. Even one carats with the same stats (or better in several cases) are available around that range. You made it seem as though $5000 was ridiculous (by saying you couldn't get that in any available market) and double that is common. $5000 is more on the low end for those stats, $5100 to $5300 is more of the norm. I've seen several stores with the same diamonds for well over $6,000 or even $7,000, but that doesn't mean you can't find some steals at closer to $5,000. And this is from the top notch diamonds (not the ones listed in the mid to high 4 grand from those other two places which seem a bit more shady).

Brian

I appreciate that you feel $500 isn't that big of a deal.. It is to me.. And it's a long way from the around $5000 for and "ideal cut" and leagues away from the $4500 to $4700 for a lesser cut, which these happen to be..

Here is the issue beyond this specific post, and approaching the more general issue..

You are a paid consultant in the purchasing of diamonds.. Not all of your "customers" pay for your service, but quite a few of them do according to you.. As a paid diamond consultant you need FAR more experience and trianing than you have repeatedly shown here.. You make broad generalities in regards to specific issues and tend to seep many of the discrepancies aside as not that big of a deal..

In a previous post you had referred to the 'bad' reputation that the jewelry industry has gained over the years.. I present the argument here and now that the bad reputation has been developed by people just like you who either through ignorance or malicious intent give bad advice while helping sell diamonds.. People who have dedicated entire careers, decades of study, are then put in the position of trying to provide more clear and valuable information to counter the misinformation posted by many..

And this leads to even more confusion for people who simply are looking to buy a nice diamond (or anything for that matter) and see what they consider to be several professionals (again, you are a PAID consultant making you a professional in the industry) disagreeing on many points.. How does this help them??

Again, I have no doubt that you have no ill intent in your posts.. I just think that your expertise is lacking.. And that puts you in to one of several categories.. Personally I'd like to see you get some real training and expertise in the industry since you seem to want to help people trying to buy.. But lacking that training you become one of the things that you claimed we are the cause of.. You become a dangerous shill for diamonds you never see giving potentially bad advice to people that are really only looking for some help..

And, while Neil can certainly defend himself, you need to look at what he wrote again..

A correctly graded, 0.99ct., ideal cut, VS1/H with GIA paper is a nearly impossible call and, if by some stroke of luck you find one, there is no way it will be available for $5000 in ANY reasonably likely marketplace.

Emphasis mine..

He says this because corredctly graded, "ideal cut" VS1/H 99 pointers simply don't exist.. At any price..

First, as far as the price goes, the original poster NEVER gave his budget or his expected price. The diamonds that I recommended (the last two for a bit over $5000) are great, and could be had for most likely around $5200 to $5300 for those stats. I'd personally recommend knocking down on the clarity a bit and making the color nicer, which would bring it well below the $5,000 level. Even if you went with the original route, spending $200 to $300 more for a bigger and better diamond is probably a good deal in many eyes (if you really wanted to stick to those stats, which again, I personally wouldn't if money was an issue). There was no original budget or price given, all I said is that around $5,000 is the low end ball park.

And the diamonds that I recommended no one has said are bad because they are great diamonds. If you're saying $5,200 to $5,300 for a bigger and better diamond is bad, then please post so. My recommendations of those two have not been touched on. If you disagree with those as being great diamonds for the price around the 1 carat mark and the same stats of VS1 (which again I don't think is necessary, but that's what was searched for) and H or better in color, then please say so.

Otherwise, feel free to e-mail me if you want to bash anything.

Brian

I get the impression that you really aren't grasping the fundamentals here..

1st, you said around $5000 the stone originally discussed.. Now you are showing stones in that actualy quality with prices at

Bank wire price:  $5,591

More than 10% higher in cost.. You didn't find one for $5000.. And those that you found for less are not the same quality.. No, we don't know the budget involved.. We are discussing the budget you stated as a possible price.. But even after you stated the price you didn't find a stone for that price in that quality level..

As for the diamonds you recommend.. How can you possibly "know" that they are great without ever seeing them?? A lack of complaints from people that may or may not know a good diamond when they see it is hardly a glowing recommendation..

BTW, are you the same Briankoz on eBay selling a wide variety of items??

That price was before all the promo's and possible other deductions. The promo alone knocks off $150 (some sites have it at 10% off, so $500, but their prices were a bit more anyway) for that specific diamond, and I can sometimes get sites to take off an extra $100 to $200. But outside of the extra 1 to 2 hundred, the $150 alone is a guarantee. And I said that $5,000 was the low end -- it can be higher. I still stand by this as I've shown. A ballpark off $200 to $300 off I don't view as being high, especially when others made the statement that it should be a lot more and no reasonable market can do that. It's simply not true.

And no, I'm not briankoz on ebay.

Brian

What type of cut is it?  What shape is it (round, princess, etc.)?  I'd expect that you could find some good deals for around $5,000 for ones that are ideally cut.  For a lesser cut, you could probably find one for $4,500 to $4,700.

Take care,

Brian

Where's the part about $5000 being the 'low end'?

Neil

briankoz,

briankoz phony ? shill ? fraud ? scam ?

brian koz phony ? shill ? fraud ? scam ?

I think Neil & Steve were being way too nice with you.

You have a lot of nerve to come on this forum badmouthing B&M's and the industry out of one side of your mouth and then out of the other side spout your mis-informed dribble and BS, all contrived to make you a dollar at some innocent consumers expense.

I'm going to keep adding to and bumping this thread to hopefully help the thread become indexed highly for anyone googling you to see.

The best thing you could do for yourself is just go away, far away.

Brian Knox