Got Diamond Questions?
Our community of diamond experts are here to provide answers
Sign in to follow this  
blindspy

can i see the laser inscription with a 10x loupe

Tough question. I can see an inscription with a 10x loupe but it's damn difficult and most people can't do it. This has more to do with your eyes, technique and the lighting than it does with anything else.

Can diamonds get sold with the wrong documents? Sure. It happens all the time. That's what the inscription is there for. Most jewelers and appraisers have a microscope that makes it much easier. When you get it appraised (You are going to get it appraised aren't you?), your appraiser should have no trouble telling if you've got the right paperwork.

Neil

Neil Beaty

GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA

There's never a crowd when you go that extra mile.

Professional Appraisals in Denver

:) wow! so you can get the wrong cer. that's scary unless you got a diamond that is worth alot but paid that priced of one that is not worth lalot .....lol. yas i do plan on getting it appraised. thae reason i ask is because i brought a diamond that is o.38 ct color f clarity i1 ( but cant see any inclusions with the naked eye) good polish and symmetry...don't know what the cut garde is, it does not say on the cert. the reason i ask is because the diamond is truely beautiful it looks so clean and white and gives alot of brilliance and fire. i get alot of compliments on it, but i wanted to change it for a higher grading one but don't know if i should.

"...the diamond is truely beautiful it looks so clean and white and gives alot of brilliance and fire..."

What are you hoping to improve upon by chainging?

Neil

Neil Beaty

GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA

lol i guess the cert. is it possiable to have a diamond recertified? or maybe i can get a 10x loupe and find out if i got the right papers for it. or maybe an appraiser would be able to tell me if the certificate i got with it is the right one for it. it's weird... it almost feels like you have to be an expert in order to buy a diamond :)

You can get some I1's that still look very nice. I normally wouldn't recommend any clarity range in the I's, but I have seen a few very nice ones. Sometimes a jeweler can have the setting "cover up" a small noticeable inclusion to make it even less noticeable.

This is what's tricky about grading clarity... Some diamonds can have the same clarity, graded by the same report, yet still one might look a lot worse than the other as far as the inclusions go. I'm guessing that it was probably graded or appraised right, but you maybe ended up with one of the few very good I1's. If it looks nice and you're pleased with it, no one is probably going to check the paperwork on it -- especially your girlfriend/wife or whoever it is intended for.

Congrats on the find!

Brian

brian@beforeproposing.com

Yes, it is possible to get a stone regraded. No, it’s not necessary.

Yes, the appraiser can and should tell you if it’s the correct stone for the paperwork. It almost certainly is by the way.

A loupe is a handy thing to have, but this isn’t the reason to get one. Reading a girdle inscription with a loupe is hard without quite a bit of practice. It’s fun to try, but don’t get worried if you can’t do it. Most people can’t. We appraisers usually cheat and use a 60x binocular microscope.

The paper is just that, paper. Don’t get hung up on it. I say this in all sincerity as a guy who makes a living out of selling paper. You’re driving yourself crazy over an issue of what someone you will never meet thinks of your diamond. What you want, and what you’ve got, is a beautiful diamond. The rest is details.

Neil

Neil Beaty

GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA