A reminder of the Forum Rules

hermann

Dear Diamond.info Community Members,

Over the past few days/weeks there has been a significant amount of questionable activity on Diamond.info with regard to self-promotion. The rules have always been in place, but to be quite honest, I've been giving users the benefit of the doubt. Now that I have received several complaints from several valued members, I intend to begin enforcing these rules stringently.

There is a link on the top of the page labeled "Click here to read the FORUM RULES before posting". I suggest we all take a moment to read the rules. In particular, here are the rules regarding promotion:

Advertising & Promotion. Members are not permitted to post messages that contain blatant advertising or promotion (based on our sole discretion), whether or not related to the jewelry or wedding industry. With regard to this rule, messages posted by members of the jewelry trade will be held to a much higher standard than messages posted by consumers. Only consumers may mention vendors or products in the course of describing a personal experience with said vendors or products. Jewelers may not make such mentions unless asked by a consumer. Jewelers may not indiscriminately bash, condemn, or attack other members of the jewelry industry or their practices. Only consumers may post testimonials, and only on the "Purchase Experiences" Forum. No member may post any link or reference to any other jewelry information website.

In case you're wondering, the rule regarding the posting of other jewelry information websites is in place because a great number of websites out there (in fact, the vast majority) contain advice and suggestions that, while labeled as "unbiased information", are actually designed to make you purchase from specific vendors that then kick back money to the information website (ie hence "biased"!). I believe that to be a disservice to consumers, and don't want Diamond.info to have any part in sending unknowing consumers to those websites. The only exceptions I will consider are links/references to organizations such as GIA and AGS that are 1) well-known and respected in the jewelry trade, and 2) existed prior to 1995.

Effective immediately, any messages containing links or references to any information websites (other than the exceptions noted above) will be deleted immediately and without warning. Further, the continued posting of such messages will result in deletion/banning of users.

Just to be clear, as stated in the Forum Rules, jewelers and appraisers are and have always been permitted (and encouraged) to include a clean link to their business in their signature as long as it's not obscenely peppered with self-promotion.

Thank you very much for your cooperation, and for your continued use of Diamond.info!

Hermann

• 2 weeks later...
In case you're wondering, the rule regarding the posting of other jewelry information websites is in place because a great number of websites out there (in fact, the vast majority) contain advice and suggestions that, while labeled as "unbiased information", are actually designed to make you purchase from specific vendors that then kick back money to the information website (ie hence "biased"!). I believe that to be a disservice to consumers, and don't want Diamond.info to have any part in sending unknowing consumers to those websites. The only exceptions I will consider are links/references to organizations such as GIA and AGS that are 1) well-known and respected in the jewelry trade, and 2) existed prior to 1995.

Based on the above information and what I see on your homepage, doesnt this site send you to specific vendors that kick money back to you?

I mean if a user posts a site that is filled with great and factual information, wouldnt you want whoever is doing the research to benefit & learn from it?

From what I see this is pretty hyprocritical. You dont want users to go to information sites that send them to specific retailers because of the reasons listed above but yet you are doing the same thing. I see referral links over every retailer when I search for diamonds online.

Please explain.

There is a significant difference between the host of an informational site (these forums) offering advertising opportunitues and someone coming in to their house and doing the same..

I think that you will find that most websites have this or a similar rule in place to keep people from coming in to a website and trying to make money off of the effort done by others..

Please explain.

Read our FAQ (click on the link located at the bottom of every single page).

In our FAQ, we explain very clearly what we do, how we do it, and how we make money doing it. The information is laid open for everyone to see. Not everybody else does that, in fact most others do not. Rather than police other sites' disclosure practices, I just choose not to allow links to them unless they are already well known and recognized.

Thanks for the explanation.

I just think that if someone posts a link to a certain site that can give them the information they are looking for, it shouldn't be removed because it's your competition or it takes them away from your site. I can understand if its a site filled with popups or pop unders, those are quite annoying for all of us. I guess the bottom line is you're the owner and what you say goes. :(

Kevin, no doubt there are sites out there with great information, and I do very often bend the rules in the case of a site where I know there is good content and the intent of posting the link is not for self-promotion by the site owner. However, lately my willingness to be flexible has been somewhat abused, so I have no choice but to fall back on the Forum Rules.

As for "being the owner and what I say goes", that is actually not true. I try to manage the site based on my perceived needs of the Diamond Review community as a whole, because without our members, "what I say" is irrelevant.