Proposal Tips and Advice!

briankoz

Hello!

I just thought I'd write a little bit about some common "mistakes" I tend to see people do when planning a proposal.

One of the main things I see are guys doing simple and basic proposals. These aren't necessarily bad, but a few little things can make them a lot better. Tons of guys think that a nice restaurant and perhaps a nice hotel is the "perfect" proposal ... others think that throwing around $500 on a limo and a nice evening out is even better and more special. Now tell me, would you think more of someone who spent hours upon hours working on a special, unique, and creative proposal for you that you could brag about to everyone, or would you think more of someone who just forked over some money to a limo or restaurant and did everything in under a few minutes? Most of the best proposal ideas I've worked with can be easily done for free or at least under $50, and they'll stand out forever.

Simple things can make a huge difference. Are there things the two of you have in common? Do you have a special place? Perhaps a special inside joke or anything else? Try to incorporate as many things as possible into it.

One of my recent clients asked me if I thought dinner and a stay at the Hilton was a good idea because he was trying to one up his buddy's proposal. He was ready to fork over several hundred dollars, but after we worked out a plan, his new proposal idea would cost less than $20. His girlfriend worked at an apartment complex owned by her parents, which was a unique opportunity. I won't go into too much detail, but the end result was that when she had to make a bunch of scheduled stops at several apartments, he left little hints (but not too obvious) at each place of the two of them. Finally, in the last apartment, he had it all arranged with a nice dinner, candles, flowers, etc. as a surprise and she walked in to see all of this in total shock. There was a lot more to this one as well, but can you already see a huge improvement? Now tell me, which one will she remember more or think of how romantic you are???

Or how about thinking of all the past memories the two of you had together ... I'm sure you can be creative and incorporate all of this into something. Now that will stand WAY above any nice restaurant.

All I recommend first doing is just sitting down and really thinking of your girlfriend/boyfriend and what makes her/him/the two of you so special and how you can incorporate everything into one good idea. It will take you a long time -- possibly even longer than finding an engagement ring, but it will be something that will always be remembered!

If you need any help or have any questions, feel free to e-mail me!

Take care,

Brian

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I need help:) I'm planning on proposing Christmas eve or Christmas day. I'm in a wheelchair so I can't get on one knee. She has asked me to spend Christmas eve day with her at her moms house. I'm thinking sometime that day would be good. Or should I wait until Christmas day? Other than asking her I don't have any ideas. Please help:)

Thank you

I need help:) I'm planning on proposing Christmas eve or Christmas day. I'm in a wheelchair so I can't get on one knee. She has asked me to spend Christmas eve day with her at her moms house. I'm thinking sometime that day would be good. Or should I wait until Christmas day? Other than asking her I don't have any ideas. Please help:)

Thank you

Wait until after Christmas eve dinner... maybe after everyone else has gone to bed, and it's just the two of you enjoying a quiet Christmas moment later in the night, with all the twinkling Christmas lights behind you and all around you. And by all means, you definitely do not need to "get down on one knee" to propose. Do it whatever way works for you. Congratulations to you, and best of luck!

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thank you

Wait until after Christmas eve dinner... maybe after everyone else has gone to bed, and it's just the two of you enjoying a quiet Christmas moment later in the night, with all the twinkling Christmas lights behind you and all around you. And by all means, you definitely do not need to "get down on one knee" to propose. Do it whatever way works for you. Congratulations to you, and best of luck!

Yea, but at christmas everyone is so stressed out, I think I would wait until after the holidays

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Great ideas!

I'm planning on proposing to my girlfriend at the end of the month. I still don't know exactly how I'm going to do it but I know its going to be very intimate and romantic. I got her this amazing platinum ring and I have this great speech prepared. As much as I am excited to be engaged to her, I can't wait to see the look on her face when she sees the ring.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

Wonderful tips Brian. I am a professional Marriage Proposal Planner and that is some seriously good advice. I always tell my Clients, please do not Google a proposal and use it. The proposal needs to include private memories, the story of the relationship, and inside jokes. It has to be personalized to make an impact. Men spend thousands of dollars on an engagement ring but they don't want to seem to put the same investment in to a proposal. Some men certainly can plan their own proposals, but some men really need help. Proposal planners can be extremely affordable. Anyway, great advice again.

• 8 months later...

We met in the median of a major street of a major city. Can't say but I'll bet some of you have been there.

We live in that city and I want to propose in the middle of the median where we met and then head to dinner at the first plce we dined together which happens to be across the street from where we met (but we went there days after we met)

any thoughts?

Or should I propose in the restaurant? I am not big on making a scene.

• 2 years later...

Hello!

I just thought I'd write a little bit about some common "mistakes" I tend to see people do when planning a proposal.

One of the main things I see are guys doing simple and basic proposals. These aren't necessarily bad, but a few little things can make them a lot better. Tons of guys think that a nice restaurant and perhaps a nice hotel is the "perfect" proposal ... others think that throwing around $500 on a limo and a nice evening out is even better and more special. Now tell me, would you think more of someone who spent hours upon hours working on a special, unique, and creative proposal for you that you could brag about to everyone, or would you think more of someone who just forked over some money to a limo or restaurant and did everything in under a few minutes? Most of the best proposal ideas I've worked with can be easily done for free or at least under $50, and they'll stand out forever.

Simple things can make a huge difference. Are there things the two of you have in common? Do you have a special place? Perhaps a special inside joke or anything else? Try to incorporate as many things as possible into it.

One of my recent clients asked me if I thought dinner and a stay at the Hilton was a good idea because he was trying to one up his buddy's proposal. He was ready to fork over several hundred dollars, but after we worked out a plan, his new proposal idea would cost less than $20. His girlfriend worked at an apartment complex owned by her parents, which was a unique opportunity. I won't go into too much detail, but the end result was that when she had to make a bunch of scheduled stops at several apartments, he left little hints (but not too obvious) at each place of the two of them. Finally, in the last apartment, he had it all arranged with a nice dinner, candles, flowers, etc. as a surprise and she walked in to see all of this in total shock. There was a lot more to this one as well, but can you already see a huge improvement? Now tell me, which one will she remember more or think of how romantic you are???

Or how about thinking of all the past memories the two of you had together ... I'm sure you can be creative and incorporate all of this into something. Now that will stand WAY above any nice restaurant.

All I recommend first doing is just sitting down and really thinking of your girlfriend/boyfriend and what makes her/him/the two of you so special and how you can incorporate everything into one good idea. It will take you a long time -- possibly even longer than finding an engagement ring, but it will be something that will always be remembered!

If you need any help or have any questions, feel free to e-mail me!

Take care,

Brian

great info...

• 11 months later...

Agreed.  Think of something that is sentimental and romantic.  Put your own spin on it and be creative like Brian mentioned. 

I've heard of a couple who loved scuba diving and the guy proposed under water, I thought that was very cool!  (especially since I'm a diver)

Here's the link to the scuba diving proposal (along with a few others).  Maybe this will inspire someone!

http://www.titanium-jewelry.com/super-cool-proposal-stories.html