duchess cut diamond

Guest tdtidwell

Guest tdtidwell

My husband recently bought me a duchess cut diamond ring. I have never heard of this cut, I was wondering if there was any way I could get information on this cut. I went to a jewelry store near my home and they told me that this cut was hard to get, is this so. I would like some information on this diamond. Thank You.

It is indeed a rare cut to find at most jewelers. I don't believe that many do that cut any more. They tend to make less of a diamond look like more (by being thinner and shallower).

I also believe that the cut was named after the Royal Family. Decades and decades ago, royalty tended to wear other types of gems. However, the British, as well as others, had much economic interests in diamonds when they were first becoming widely popular and a campaign was started where the royal family would use more diamonds in their everyday jewelry. Kind of like modern day advertising to show it off more. Around that time, some styles and cuts were named after them. I don't know too much about the duchess cut, but I do know that it was more popular back in the day and is hard to find now.

If I had one, I'd sure feel special. :) You should ask your husband where he got it. I actually have known one or two people in the past who have tried to find one.

Take care,

Brian

brian@beforeproposing.com

www.beforeproposing.com

I just wanted to clarify something with the "less is more" statement I made about that cut. Even though a smaller diamond can look larger (which is one of the things that they intended with this cut), this definitely does not mean that their value is less (in several cases, it's actually more).

Brian

brian@beforeproposing.com

www.beforeproposing.com