which one is better?

mel18640

Personally, I'd go for the smaller diamond with the higher qualities. Even though the 1.4 carat one is a lot bigger, I-J (especially J) can look yellowish. As far as clarity goes, SI2 can sometimes be good if it's eye clean, but SI3 is basically an I1 (not many places recognize SI3) and doesn't always look the best.

Since with the larger diamond you're giving me rough characteristics, I'm guessing that this is coming from a company that has a bunch of preset diamonds and only gives a range, right? That's not always the safest of bets. The smaller one seems to be a sure thing. Do you know what the cuts are of the two?

If I were you, and if you wanted to stay in the same price range, I'd try to look for an eye clean SI1 or SI2 and then upgrade the color a bit to a D, E, or F. And then look for an ideal cut diamond. If you did that, at the very least you'd come out even with a better diamond, but I'm guessing that you might even be able to save a little too.

And don't worry about the size issues too much. A .82 is still a pretty big diamond. I'd take a smaller, higher quality diamond over a huge, lesser quality diamond any day! I know sometimes there's a lot of pressure to break the 1.0 mark, but after everything is said and done, it's not really an issue.

If you need any other help, just let me know!

Take care,

Brian

brian@beforeproposing.com

Check out the Cut Quality of the 1.40.

If it is a well-cut diamond, it will refract more light up through the Table and Crown and thus face up "whiter" and "cleaner" than a mediocre cut diamond of the same specs and also face up much better than the .82.

You make no mention of the .82's Cut Quality. Just because it's a H/VS-1 doesn't mean it will necessarily outperform the 1.40

Before we can make value judgements on 'better', 'lesser', 'best', or 'ideal', you and us need more information.

hi barry & brian, there's no mention of the cut quality. the rings in question are an engagement set and have side stones as well. here are the links:

Ring One:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...53595%26fvi%3D1

Ring Two:

http://item.express.ebay.com/2-52-Ct-Round...cmdZExpressItem

thanks for all your advice, really appreciate it.

mel

Picture quality is very poor.

No mention of diamond lab grading report which indicates in-house grading of color/clarity. Red flag.

Is it H or I color? No lab issues a split grade.

I'd pass.

I see no reason to believe the grading on either one. That’s not an absolute deal killer but it’s certainly a red flag. Both dealers have pretty good feedback ratios and both have relatively agreeable return programs. Your risk has to do with the cost of getting a real grading and appraisal (ignore the one they supply) and the possibility of having to pay for return shipping. Make sure to use a credit card, not the Paypal direct payment system so that you have the CC company as an ally in the case of a dispute.

By the way, lacking credible evidence to the contrary,

SI2-SI3 usually means I-1, sometimes I-2.

H-I (which is what the .82 says in the body of the ad) color usually means J, sometimes K.

No mention of cutting usually means poor to average.

Shop accordingly.

Neil

i love CHAUMET jewellry.,...

its outstanding design and rare material attract me!!

moveover, it ranks the KING grade among the luxury brands..

i think its quality speaks for the fame....

hey suzie...

actually i like the tiffany most...

but i don't make sense the meaning of KING grade.....

is it represent the quality or the design of the CHAUMET jewellry??

Susie,

That's a very interesting link. Thanks.

Brand development and protection is an issue of great concern for a lot of people but, I must confess, I don't see how it applies here. Are you recommending that the notoriety and ongoing success of the brand is an important issue for you as a consumer?

Neil

thanks Neil.. :)

Firstly, i think the brand development and protection is key issue in our life. lots of people neglects the brand development and protection, so the counterfeit emerges. in my view, it do harm to our consumers.

moreover, the notoriety and success of the brand predict its development and prosperity. as a consumer, i think the brand enjoys a good reputation is very important.....the ongoing success of brands strengthen the confidence of our confudence.

Branding has become an important issue among diamond manufacturers in the last decade or so with the ‘supplier of choice’ initiatives from DeBeers. The manufacturers are being pressured to promote their own brands instead of relying so heavily on the DeBeers industry promotions. A few recognized brands are starting to emerge, like Hearts on Fire, Canadamark and Leo, but there are none that enjoy anything like the long history and fame of most of the firms on the list you showed us. The makers of the list seem to put an emphasis on history and on European brands. For example, Nike and Levi, two of the strongest brands in the world do not make the top of the list while Dunhill does. Are you involved with this organization? Are you involved with a particular brand?

Neil

thanks Neil..you opinion will be appreciated! :)

i'm just a visitor of this website and a woman love luxury brands.. :lol:

personally, i think the World Luxury Association is a new organization that devoted itself to brand development and protection. According to the news on their website, i really appreciate their action. if all of us can work hand in hand, i think everythink will better.

Nike and Levi..why they are not make the top of the list..i think you can find the answer also on their website..the list is made according to the "degree assessment standard"...

oh my god.. you don't konw what's the KING grade mean?

KING grade is the highest grade among the world's famous luxury brand.

eg. LV is also rank the KING grade.

i think i cannot explain it in detail, maybe you can visit this website.

:)

HI Everyone!

The Luxuryfed site is simply an advertising service- there's nothing other than advertising implied. Prescence ( or lack thereof) on this list means nothing.

Furthermore- after seeing this type of thing tried so many tiems, I must admit- When companies try to pretend advertising is factually based material- it smacks of misrepresentation.

As far as eBay sellers here's some general rules:

1) VERY IMPORTANT- 98% feedback is COMPLETELY different that 100%. Here's a HUGE problem to watch out for- "Withdrawn Feedbacks"

Here's how they are created: A seller misrepresents, or does something else bad. The buyer wants to return the item, and leaves a negative feedback.

The seller then withoholds the refund till the buyer "Withdraws" the feedback.

The rings are not being sold "cheap"..... trying to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear is a favorite pastime of some sellers......

( This ring appraises for 18gazillion dollars- we'll sacrifice and sell it today for $500- but you HAVE to buy right now!!!)

2) what the heck is "King Grade"????

David,

I was trying to deconstruct the luxuryfed thing and I don’t think it’s a simple link farm. It looks to me like a trade organization for promoting the concept of branding. That’s why I thought it was interesting. Someone devoted quite a bit of effort to this and I don’t see anything at all being sold, not even the magazines. I agree that the grading scale seems to be a bit odd and it’s not at all clear what they are ranking it seems to be the merits of the brand, not the merits of the products. Maybe not, maybe it’s just a load of bull, but it seems like an awful lot of work for no obvious gain if it is.

I’m curious about your thoughts on the ebay feedback system since I know you sell there regularly. I agree that it’s an area of trouble but the shenanegans seems to cut both ways. An unreasonable customer can extort an otherwise excellent seller with the threat of a negative feedback while the threat of retaliation from the seller is meaningless. A disgruntled former employee, a competitor, or just a vandal can do a huge amount of damage to an otherwise reputable company this way if the standard is 100% or nothing.

If a buyer posts an unsupported comment (like “very mean on the phone” or “Bad grading, getting a refund was like pulling teeth”), what’s a reputable seller to do to preserve their precious reputation?

Neil

Hi Neil,

Feedback: One may only leave a feedback for a company, or individual they've completed a sale on eBay with.

The only way for a consumer to leave a negative feedback would be to actually purchase something.

Therefore, the feedback does give the buyer leveridge.

Buyers: Don't leave feedback till you've recieved the item, and made sure you are completely happy.

I suppose feedback could even be used if the item was 90% what the buyer expected.

For this example, let's use an item the buyer wanted to keep, but they felt the seller overstated the description.

The buyer might suggest a compromise where the seller makes a price consession in return for a positive feedback.

One time about 5 years back I purchased a guitar ( 1957 Les Paul JR.) on eBay.

When I got it, the finish was much worse than you could see in the pictures.

I called the seller and we came to a compromise- he sent back $300. In return I left a glowing feedback ( of course after the check had cleared)

The funny part about this story is that I paid ( after "rebate") $1200 about 5 years ago- today, because if eBay, I could easily get $3500- or more- even with the crackly finish

post-2-1154988994.jpg

I’ve bought quite a few things on ebay and have, for the most part, been quite happy. I've never needed to do a return. If someone buys something and then returns it, are they still entitled to leave feedback? When I read feedbacks, it seem like they are. If so, and assuming I wanted to damage a seller, I could buy something, return it, get my refund or complain to the credit card company and still leave a negative feedback, no matter how reasonable the seller has been and no matter how unreasonable my complaint. It will have cost me nothing other than possibly shipping charges and it will have done irreparable harm to the seller. Presumably it's possible to get ebay to erase it if it contains obvious factual error, like a claim of slow shipping when you can prove otherwise, but they can't do much about a claim of misgrading or that you've been mean on the phone.

A seller who has worked for years to develop a 100% feedback with a few hundred items could be severely and permanently wounded by just a couple of this sort of thing. It makes me very nervous when I try to read between the lines of the feedbacks to decide if it's the seller or the buyer who acted badly. When they respond, the sellers ALWAYS say it was the buyers fault. It must occasionally be the truth. No?

If there's an obvious pattern it's pretty easy but a 1% problem for a seller with 100 feedback is a single customer after all. Ebay is anonymous enough that a single individual could be using several pseudonyms so a seller with a few hundred could be dropped to that 98% zone by one crackpot with an agenda.

Neil

As someone who has used ebay quite often, I've noticed that most buyers (and sellers) are happy to leave positive feedback and if they run into any problems, they'll typically contact the seller first to try to resolve it before leaving negative feedback. But I do agree that there's a huge difference between a 98% positive feedback and a 100% positive feedback (as well as some people who have a lot of withdrawals, which you can check for).

Most of the negative feedback comes from people who buy things from very shady dealers offering deals that are too good to be true. I have, however, witnessed a few competitors of some products (never happened to me, though) who sign in under a different name and then win one auction just to leave a horrible negative feedback. Usually, these can be seen and Ebay will try to deal with them. People with multiple accounts can be caught in several different ways.

I'd say that if you're a respectable dealer (jewelry or otherwise) and make everything clearly known in the auction, you're probably sure to get positive feedback and no competitors trying to screw you over. I've mainly seen this happen with smaller end auctions like individuals selling the same old "get rich quick" ebooks or "free plane tickets anywhere" where several people are selling the same products.

And even if you get some horrible buyer who is just trying to be an *ss, if you sell enough, your positive feedbacks will more than make up for it. There's a difference between a positive feedback that says "great ebayer" and one that says "great product, a really good deal!"

So to sum up this ramble, don't be too afraid if you're an honest seller.

Brian