How much do you think I can get for this diamond?

PDigital

What should I expect to receive, if I try to sell this diamond to a jeweler, dealer or pawn shop?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The diamond is a GIA certified .35 carat, E/SI1, princess cut.

Measurements are 3.98 x 3.96 x 2.69

Depth 67.9%

Table 64%

Girdle Medium

Cutlet None

Polish Excellent

Symmetry Very Good

Characteristics Cloud, Crystal

Fluoroscence None

Also, when buying diamonds, what should I be looking for, and what should I stay away from, when it comes to:

Depth Table Girdle Cutlet Polish Symmetry Characteristics Fluoroscence

Thanks in advance for any insight you can provide.

That's really hard to say and it really depends on who buys it. Diamonds, like cars, you often have to sell for a lot less than what you buy it for. The diamond trade has done an excellent job of controlling the supply of diamonds (in fact, most of the mines are either directly or indirectly controlled by the same group of people -- they've had some problems in Australia with some separate companies going on their own over the past decade, which has created even more problems with reselling diamonds as more are out there) and making people think that a diamond is forever and that you shouldn't resell it (not only because they're not worth as much due to the vast amount of work that has to go in -- it's the work that costs a ton often).

Pawn shops and other jewelers often offer WAY lower prices than you'd be able to get just selling it in the classifieds. I'd try your local newspaper for a start, as buyers can actually see the diamond. If that doesn't work, I'm pretty sure this site here has a classifieds forum that you could try selling it in. If neither are successful, there's always ebay or going to your pawn shop as a last resort. :)

So to summarize this all up -- you probably won't be able to profit off of it too easily.

Take care,

Brian

brian@beforeproposing.com

It can vary quite a bit from stone to stone and dealer to dealer. Most professional buyers are happy to give you a free bid on what they will pay. If you've got an independent appraiser in your neighborhood they may be able to help but we're usually not free. Assuming that the stone is accurately graded and that there are no other problems with it, you should be able to get your money out of it and possibly even make a few bucks in the process.

Neil