Tiffiny & Co diamonds

gdave

I'm new to the diamond buying game and would like to purchase my future fiance a quality ring. The first jewelery store I visited was Tiffiny & Company. The diamonds I viewed were very nice and the prices certainly reflected that. Is the price you pay for a Tiffiny diamond worth it?

The main thing Tiffany's prices reflect, in my opinion, is their name and their little blue box. While they do follow quality guidelines for color and clarity... you can find equivalent and better quality (cut) diamonds at significant savings buying elsewhere. Depending on where you go, you can most likely also get much more information on the diamond than Tiffany's might provide. For example, pictures, light analysis and cut analysis.

• 2 weeks later...

So I see you shilling this group again and I find I needed to take a gander at them..

First, a "D" grade that you frown at is just one level below the "K" grade.. Duke then King.. Ok, maybe I buy that.. No worries there..

But then I do some looking at the behind the scenes aspects of Luxuryfed.Com.. A quick check at whois shows that the website was created on April 18, 2006.. Not much of a history there don't you think??

So I went to look at the chinese versions of this site.. Created 30-oct-2005.. A bit older, but still not a lot of history for an Association that has declared itself an organization to regulate the international luxury market.. They have another site that was registered on 07-jun-2006.. Not terribly impressive.. I stopped after this.. But there is plenty more..

Steve,

Good investigation! I’m curious about the process of digging into this sort of nonsense. I did (and do) find this site to be pretty curious and I poked around a bit trying to understand what was going on. It looks like it was quite a bit of work to assemble, even if the material is stolen unless that whole database was snagged from somewhere, including the silly grading scale and I don’t see the point. A fake trade association for brand development? Where’s the profit in this? I’m confident that you’re on track here but why would anyone go through the trouble to do this, much less to promote it through shilling on the forums? Also, how did you find the Chinese language version?

Neil

The very quick basics of this stuff..

1. www.internic.net : Do a whois search on any domain and it will give you a date created at the very least, tell you who registered it at most.. There are other sites with more detail, but none that have more domains..

2. To find the other sites listed when you do a search.. I searched for "world luxury association" using the quotes to limit the searches to just that name.. It came back with about 115 results but only shows you about 13 of them.. At the bottom of the page is usually a link called "repeat the search with the omitted results included." Click that to get the whole list.. From there you can see all the places WLA is mentioned.. Barring a couple of first posts by people talking about how good the site is in random forums, all you get is that site over and over again on different domains..

Then there are other 'issues' I have with the site itself.. Reading the blurb about the "new" chairman (promoted in 2003) it discusses how he has been with WLA for 26 years, yet there is NO other information on the internet about this company that I can find other than it's own sites.. It also states things like "Early in 1966, Aubrey Smith took the research of world luxury brands as his research course in the university. .. What university?? What degree program?? 1966??

I can overlook the stilted english since I'm assuming that the publisher is from China, or at least somewhere in Aisa.. But it declares it's headquarters in America.. There are just way too many inconsistencies for me on this site.. It has a stated goal and constitution, but no way for you to intereact with them or to find out 'exactly' what they have done for anyone.. I'm just not "getting it" when it comes to exactly what is going on here..

But the biggest red flag to me is that claimed 26+ years in the 'industry' with no history of it to be found anywhere and a new creation date of April 2006 for the domain.. Or 2005 is you look at some of the .cn domains.. As a luxury specific site I would have expected them to be on board far longer than that..

And now that I have completly trampled the Tiffany thread, I must apologize to the OP.. Tiffany does have very nice goods.. But that isn't what you pay for there.. You are buying the name and the branding.. There is absolutley nothing wrong with this.. But if cost is more important than than brand you can do better for the same quality in many places..

• 2 weeks later...

You're paying for the name and the box. For the same amount of money you're spending for a few letters and blue box, you can get a larger diamond and probably of the same specs. I would shop around first. Check online and local retailers. Tiffany's has a pretty huge markup, I mean look at their stores and locations, its not cheap! Something has to be paying for the rent and overhead.

My 2 cents. :(