Need help ASAP

hakechrr

There is not a report on this diamond, although I can get one. However, I am in a time crunch for several reasons. When I say great value, I am talking about the price of the stone considering the size. I am not an expert, that is why I need some help here. Thanks a ton.!!!

I understand.

OK, so it’s dealer supplied grading. I’m sure you realize this is reason for concern. It’s not necessarily a deal killer so let’s move on.

The question about ‘great deal’ is a comparative issue and it depends on what else you are considering. This is not the lowest price you will find on a stone that someone is willing to claim is an 1.22 / J / I-1 princess but I have no way to know if it’s the best diamond. They are not all the same.

Even if you have no intention to buy from an online dealer, do a quick search at the top of the page under ‘find online jeweler’ for 1.20-1.50cts, J-K, I-1 princesses. I see 8 offers for 7 stones in that range from $1415 - $3237 from several different dealers. Is the one you’ve got a better deal? Maybe. That seems to be the heart of your question. The difference is going to be in the reliability of the grading, the cutting and the value-added features of the dealers like tradeup programs, speed and shopping convenience. Assuming that grading is reasonably close to accurate and you’re happy with the look of it, yours is nicely in that range.

I’m presuming by your comment about nothing being eye visible that you’ve seen the stone. Do you like it?

Neil

I will be going to the jeweler today to see the stone. Thus far, everything stated is from what I have been told. Could you please provide me with a list of questions I should ask? I have done some research on the topic, but am not a pro by any means. Thanks a ton!!!

Here's a couple.

1) Speed is an important concern for me. How long will it take you to get the promised GIA documentation on this stone? Can you show me stones that already have this detail taken care of.

2) I'm concerned about the grading on this stone and would like to show it to my chosen expert prior to comitting to the purchase. How can we arrange this?

Neil

There’s nothing that’s going answer directly your question about whether this is a great deal on the most fabulous diamond for you. It’s all a matter of collecting clues. What you’re trying to divine is whether you should buy this stone, a different stone from him or something else entirely from one of his competitors, right? If he hasn’t already volunteered this to your satisfaction, try asking that.

The issues are likely to be:

Your taste. Not everyone is looking for the same things. What do YOU like better?

Grading accuracy of what’s been presented so far.

Additional grading type information, especially cutting, ight behavior and durability.

Value added services being offered by the dealer.

Select questions that provide useful answers on these topics.

Neil