Once again, Diamonds fake or real?

HOTLTN

Long time ago, I found a ring with what appers to be a diamond set in 4 prongs, so I went to local pawn shop to see if they can tell me, but they just test the gold, (which was 18k), but they didn't have the tools to test the diamond. The owner jump to conclusion and told me that probably was a CZ, but me been skeptical I went to a jewlery(Zales) and talk to the salesperson. She brought a handheld tester and place the tip on the rock. To my surprise and her also, aparently was a diamond. She explain me that the tester mesure the temperature and a green light indicates that indeed is a diamond. Me been skeptical, went to another jewlery(Gordon's), ask for the same test and it passed. Now I went to another jewlery and an appraiser was there and told me the those tester are not accurate. Who do I belive. The appraiser told me that he can tell me for a $50 fee, which I refuse to pay. So now I confused. Are the tester accurate or not. THANK'S IN ADVANCE. HOTLTN..(ps. Can you also tell me if a diamond can be scratch?, some people say yes, some no; I would like to know the facts).

The thermal testers are good at sorting out most non-diamond simulants but the big exception is synthetic moissonite. These will test positive with the thermal testers.

You mentioned that you found this stone 'a long time ago'. Depending on your time frame, this may be the secret. Moissonite was not commercially available before 1998. There are other varieties of testers available for detecting it and it's quite common for pawn shops to buy this equipment.

Neil

Scratching is not a reasonable test. The problem is that although they don't scratch with other materials, you can easily chip them. It's also possible to leave a residue of the other material on the stone that looks a lot like a scratch but isn't really. You CAN scratch a diamond with another diamond, and you can severly damage both in the process.

Neil

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!, That clears a lot of doubts. Today I'm gonna have two gemologist coming to where I'm at to see my 11.80ct (center piece), diamond ring. Blind offer, $85000, they are from a place call The Diamond Traders USA, in Maryland. The said that they been in business for more than 40 years. Wish me luck. Thank you NEIL. HOTLTN.

Good luck with your meeting. Let us know how it goes.

Be careful about your personal security. That's a very expensive piece of property and you are doing business with strangers. You may be entering into a dangerous situation and not everyone has your best interests at heart. If you can, do this inspection somewhere other than at your home and arrange to have someone else present. Many banks have rooms that they will allow you to use for this sort of purpose if you are a client.

If they are coming over to inspect the piece, it’s hardly a blind offer, at least not from their side. The only one who is going into this deal blind is you. This situation is not is your best interest.

Note to readers. We’re talking about a ring that Hotltn listed in the jewelry classified section here.

Neil

My heart is broken. After the inspected the main rock, they conclude that is a moissonte. They said that is the biggest one they seen, but still a man made rock. The said that the rock has a double "fracture" inside. is not a phisical fracture, is refraction of the light, also the gridle seems to be too smooth. The only tool used were a X10 magnifier, but they had the fluorescent light and a hand held tester that detect moissonite. What should I do ? A second opinion? THANK"S, HOTLTN. ps. Thank you Neil for the advice on doing safe business. I am right now in a facility call Paul Hall school of seamanship, In Maryland, quite safe.

Bummer that it's not a diamond.

Moissonate is fairly expensive on it's own. An 11 carat stone might bring quite a bit. Check out the prices being asked on ebay.

Of course a written report would probably be necessary and this puts you back in the position of actually paying an appraiser, which is where this started, but it's still a pretty exciting ride. For whatever it's worth, $50 is cheap for a competent appraisal.

Neil

Thank again for your support Neil. I went to ebay, but there is no a single moissonite available to compare. Also I went to different web sites specializing on selling moissonite, but the biggest one I saw was 12mm, equivalent to 7.00ct, mine is 15.00mm, equivalent to 11.80ct. I'm still heart broken, but I will survive. If by any chance you have any info on moissonite,( prices, durability, etc...), please let me know. THANK YOU AGAIN...........HOTLTN.....(ps. the 7.00ct moissonite retail for $11000, not bad?)

Check your spelling. It's 'moissanite'. I see quite a few currently for sale. It's worth noting that asking $11,000 is not the same as getting it. You learn more by paying attention to the auctions that have actual bids and the completed auctions under 'advanced search' but this isn't as solid a source of information as it at first seems. You're quite right that bigger stones don't sell as well as smaller ones and you will have to give a per carat discount because of this. Bigger isn't always better.

Here's a 5.6ct that sold about a month ago for $810.

Charles & Covald is the manufactuer. They have quite a bit of information about their products on their site.

You're pinching your pennies and not your dollars. Get it appraised, in writing, by a competent appraiser.

Neil