Size or Quality?

pamiewamie

I am having a hard time trying to decide between two rings. One is a 1.55 princess cute diamond. It is I 1 clarity with H color. BIG but not the best of clarity.

The other is 75pt emerald cut. GIA certified, SI 1 clarity and with J color. Can anyonw give me suggestions. Also...Which one would be the most expensive stone? Or maybe i should say which would would normally be worth the most?

thanks Pamie

Pamie,

You can get a decent feel for relative prices by using the ‘find online jeweler’ link at the top of the page and looking for similar stones to what you have in mind. Even if you have no intention of buying anything online, this will produce a pretty good benchmark for what superficially similar stones cost in a highly competitive marketplace.

Both princess and emerald cuts are incredibly difficult to buy without looking at them. Cutting makes a HUGE difference to both the look and the price. I-1 covers a lot of ground and it can include some pretty nice looking stones with attractive price points along with some real dogs. Naturally, they are all reported by the selling dealer to be wonderful. These are pretty different stones. Have you seen either one? What was your impression?

Neil

You're operating in two different time zones. Two completely different looks.

You need to see them and determine which look you like best.

Thanks for the help. I have not seen either stone in person. Just pictures. I have large hands and naturally i want a bigger stone BUT i dont want a ugly one either haha. I pretty much have to shop online...husband is disabled and i dont get to go off to bigger towns much. We have no jewelry stores near us. Its hard buying with just a picture to view.

Does it mean alot to have an GIA appraisal?

Pamie,

I think you’re starting out backwards. Which stone is the best ‘deal’ isn’t the right question to be asking. A great price on the wrong stone is no bargain. Start by getting a feel for what you like.

Look at ring designs. Internet pictures and even the TV people do a pretty good job of showing what things look like of different hands. Do you like complex designs or do you prefer a more tailored look? Do you prefer the designs with a lot of metal? A lot of stones? Delicate lace work? Do you like designs where the ring is the center of attention and the diamond is a highlight or do you prefer the ones that feature a single awesome gem with perhaps a few things around it?

When you say you have large hands, can you elaborate a little bit? (We’re all friends here). Are we talking about a size 8 or an 18? As you’ve observed, it does have an affect on the design choices.

Neil

Hi , I wear a 9 - 9 1/2. I prefer large stones..and i am not too wild about any kind of colored stone. I prefer a larger center with smaller diamonds accents. I am not to much on lots of gold. There is so much out there to look at and when your so limited financially as i am it makes it pretty hard.

Pamie,

Your fingers are a bit bigger than average but not by all that much. The way to get a bigger look without breaking the bank is to use a lot of metal. If you’re not into the ‘clunky’ look, still use some metal but include some open spaces and set enough little stones around the piece that they all tend to merge together and just become a field of sparkly. Do you like two tone metals? It’s a really good way to accent a single larger center stone.

Here's a local guy (to me) that makes some bigger designs using not-so-huge stones that are popular on bigger hands.

(By the way, what a terrible web design ;) , and I'll bet it was expensive)

Neil