Can diamonds change color and size over time?

kdrrc

The options here are:

1)One of the appraisers is wrong.

2) Both appraisers are wrong.

3) The stone currently being examined isn’t the same stone as the one examined 17 years ago.

4) The stone may be damaged, which can reduce the clarity and value significantly.

5) Several of these things.

Ask your appraiser if they are confident that it’s not simply a typing or measuring error. Show them the prior appraisal and ask them why there is a discrepancy in the description. Are the size and color differences considerable?

Neil

I'll also add that I think a color difference of one color grade is acceptable, especially if the diamond is being color graded in a setting rather than loose. This may also account for a small size discrepancy. If the diamond is set it only be measured with an approximate carat weight based on the proportions of the stone. This is of course the discrepancy is small.

Either way, the extremely lower value seems kind of strange.

I'll also add that I think a color difference of one color grade is acceptable, especially if the diamond is being color graded in a setting rather than loose. This may also account for a small size discrepancy. If the diamond is set it only be measured with an approximate carat weight based on the proportions of the stone. This is of course the discrepancy is small.

Either way, the extremely lower value seems kind of strange.

Good point Megan,

'Wrong' was probably too strong a word to use. Experts often disagree by a grade or even two, expecially if either or both don't have optimum grading conditions.

Neil

I have a 3.5 c diamond apprased at K 17 years ago..now reappraised by a different jewlrey person at k... saying the color changed and the size is smaller. ?????????????????? can this be??????

A 3.5carat diamond appraised for 4K????

Either the diamond is alomst coal, or someone is trying to rip someone off.

David,

The 3.5c may be the root of the problem. For all we know, that was the temperature. ;) A reasonably likely explanation, for example, would be that the ring is 3.5ctw., not 3.5ct. Something is definitely is not right here, but it may not be the second appraiser (it might be, we just don't know). Since the first appraiser probably isn't available, it falls the second to try to explain it.

Neil