GIA Rating question

liuk3

I am shopping for an engagement ring stone. Is there a problem with purchasing a stone with a March 2004 GIA rating report? It seems like the older reports do not contain as much information. Perhaps it there is something wrong with stone and that's why it hasn't been bought yet? I am a complete noob with regard to this diamond purchasing area.

Not at all purple. Diamonds are not produce and don't spoil on the shelf. Every diamond has it's time.

GIA will first recommend verification on diamonds with lab reports out to 6-7 years.

Purple,

Diamond dealers, epecially wholesalers, tend not to view their inventory in the same way that most other merchants do. It’s a delicate balancing act of finding good stones and finding customers who are willing to pay prices that allow you to replace what you’ve sold and still have some money left in your pocket. Waiting a year, 2, or even 10 to do this flip can cause cash flow problems but there’s very little other downside. In general, the value appreciation of diamond inventory for the last few decades has been better than if they kept the money in the bank so even slow moving goods have treated them fairly well if they bought right in the first place. A bigger inventory increases the chances of actually having what a particular customer wants, which increases sales. If you can stand the nasty cash flow and you can continue to buy right, it’s sort of a no lose deal. This means it’s far easier for diamond dealers to view their inventory as something of a bank account than it would be for a grocer, a car dealer or a clothing store. One of the curious dichotomies of the world is that most diamond dealers, even the ones who make pretty good money, live very frugal lifestyles because of this. They need to be prepared to invest in inventory whenever they can and whenever the right opportunity comes along. Inventory growth is how they measure success. In almost every other business, it's a sign of trouble.

Neil

Thank you gentlemen for your positive responses.

I ended up purchasing the stone with the GIA report dated 2004.

It was the best stone I could find within my budget. He did have an F colored stone for only a few grand more, but I had to finally cap my budget. Already, I went about $10k over my original budget. doh!

wt: 2.10 carat

depth: 58.7%

table: 56%

girdle: medium

culet: none

polish: very good

symmetry: excellent

clarity: vs2

color: G

fluorescence: None

heart and arrow cut.

i just got engaged last night. i believe she is happy with the purchase. the reality is that due to my inexperience, i bought on statistics. they could have swapped a cz stone in there i probably wouldn't know. lol! the seller was the cousin of one of my very close friends, so that helped in my peace of mind versus stones from all other sellers.