Got Diamond Questions?
Our community of diamond experts are here to provide answers
Sign in to follow this  
klmille7

Helzberg Ring and Negotiating

Does anyone have any advice on buying from helzberg jewelers. I found a ring that I really like and wouldn't mind opinions on whether or not it is a good deal. If anyone has bought from them before I would really appreciate your feedback on your buying experience with them. Also does anyone know if you can actually negotiate with them since they are such a big retail chain???

Here is the one I'm looking at if you want to see it.

Its Item # 1624665 from the helzberg.com website, the link is below.

http://www.helzberg.com/hdsim/jsp/catalog....&programId=9443

Thanks.

You can negotiate with anyone.. It's just that sometimes they say no :(

It never hurts to ask..

Steve

Gear Head - Designer - Bench Jeweler - Artist - Web Developer

AnimalCharms.Net

I was just wondering if they would be willing to shave maybe a few hundred dollars off. It says it costs $3,000 and just wanted to get it to like $2,800 or something like that, which is about as much as the taxes cost on the expensive thing.

I am in the same boat... what Helzberg is asking is not even in the same ballpark as other online vendors and local retailors.

However my soon to be fiancee loves this ring.

Here is the ring:

Link to Ring

They are asking $2,100.

It is a total carat weight of .75, .30 in the center. I and SL2, Excellent Cut.

A local retailer is selling a similar ring, two bands, same amount of diamonds. 14K White Gold... .90 total carat weight. .40 in the center. H and VS-2, Very Good Cut. All for $1,595!

She wants to stay small since her finger size is 3.5.

I am debating on just getting the other ring... more carat weight... better diamonds. Allthough my soon to be fiancee LOVES this Helzberg ring.

Helzberg Diamonds is a bit overpriced compared to other places, and I have personally shopped there before (not for an engagement ring, but for a nice $300 dollar piece of jewelry -- I really liked a style they had) and had a good buying experience (although one of the jewelers there didn't know what he was talking about). I've known a few people who have actually fell in love with a particular style there and didn't mind the price hike.

I would just be sure to compare prices a bit more and make sure that the quality is still good for the price. I have seen some very poor diamonds there that some jewelers wouldn't even keep in their collection (but I have also seen a few nice ones there).

And just an idea ... if you want to save a bit on taxes, you could always purchase that ring online from their website. You'd have to check with them, but I believe that you could probably return it to their store if you didn't like it (but check to make sure).

And lastly, I have known people to negotiate their price down a bit, but I don't think you'd get too much of a steal there.

Take care,

Brian

brian@beforeproposing.com

Thanks for the reply!

Well got off of the phone a few minutes ago with the salesman from Helzberg.

They can't go down in price.

The guy is an older gentleman and he is just too nice!

I told him the specs on what another local retailer was selling a similiar style ring for with more carat weight and better clarity/color.

He told me it sounded like a great deal... again the guy is too nice; it kills me.

He thanked me for being honest and told me that he really appreciated me calling back and asking about discounts before buying another ring.

They wont sell the setting separately either!

I am going around to a few other places to check around... worst case scenario is I buy the other ring and propose. If she does not like it compared to the Helzberg ring I can always get a refund and buy her exactly what she wants. Even though I dont think it is a great paper deal.

What really counts is if she is happy... I am not really buying this as an ivestment and the dollars spent really are not that drastically different.

BTW the first ring she liked at Helzberg was $350!!! It was a .25 total CW ring... I should have stopped shopping there and left the store!!! :D

Well good luck with that! I know someone in the exact same spot you are right now with Helzberg ... his girlfriend loves a particular ring there, but it was overpriced and a lesser quality compared to others. But I guess if she likes it, that's what matters most!

You could also always drop little hints to see if she likes other rings/diamonds?

Brian

brian@beforeproposing.com

Gah!!!

Buying online does NOT excuse you from paying taxes.. If you live in a state that collects sales tax you are required to report that purchase and pay that tax.. It's usually called a use tax.. Many states like California are now actively pursuing people that are buying online and not paying the sales tax..

Never, ever, assume that you do not have to pay the sales tax just because you bought it online.. Now, the odds of getting caught may not be that great, but you need to be aware that not paying sales or use is tax evasion and you may be subject to some pretty hefty fines if caught..

I just have so much trouble with some of your advice Brian.. Now you are suggesting that people may possibly break the law.. When will it end??

And a bit of advice from someone that's been around a bit.. If your girlfriend points to a ring and says "this is the one I want", and you can afford it, buy it.. If you don't she may never say anything to you, but she will always hav a spot in her heart where she wishes she had gotten what she wanted.. I've seen it far too many times to suggest otherwise..

Oh, and for the record, Helzberg does not employ jewelers, they employ sales people.. There is a big difference between the two..

Steve

AnimalCharms.Net

You DO have to pay sales tax for online places in the same state as you. You don't for places outside of your state. If you check each individual website when you pay them / checkout, you'll see something that says (for example) "Florida residents add 6% sales tax." Since the majority of online websites are most likely based in other states, you can save.

Brian

Brian, you are flat out wrong.. This is a very common misconception by a lot of people.. But it's simply not true..

Many states, California, Indiana, etc etc have lines in their annual income tax forms that require you to declare all untaxed purchases and pay the state sales tax on them.. Failure to do so is tax fraud and can lead to serious penalties..

As I said before though, being caught isn't all that common in the grand scheme of things, but many states are putting together new task forces to do just this very thing..

Steve

AnimalCharms.Net

Oh, and since you chose Florida as an example, read their rules here..

http://www.myflorida.com/dor/consumer/

Quoting them -

Florida law imposes a 6% use tax on out-of-state purchases if sales tax was not paid at the time of purchase. The use tax normally applies to items purchased outside Florida, including another country, which are brought or delivered into this state and would have been taxed if purchased in Florida.

Examples include:

* Purchases made through the Internet.

* Mail-order catalog purchases.

* Purchases made in another country.

* Furniture purchased from dealers located in another state.

* Computer equipment ordered from out-of-state vendors advertising in magazines.

If an out-of-state seller fails to collect sales tax, the burden to voluntarily comply with Florida law is yours. You must submit payment directly to the Florida Department of Revenue. This payment is required by section 212.06(8), Florida Statutes.

Please, stop giving advice on things that you know nothing about.. You continue to show your lack of knowledge in many areas where you offer advice and it does nothing to help anyone..

I'm sure that your intentions are nobel, but get some training before someone is damaged by your advice..

Steve

AnimalCharms.Net

I'd be curious to know which states this applies to and how new this is then. All the states around me don't have this rule and keep the online tax free still (provided the office isn't in your state). If you check the checkout forms on a lot of online stores, you'll often see exceptions at the end. Sometimes there are more than one state in this exception -- perhaps those are some of the states? But either way, for the most part in most states then, most states do not tax.

I would check into this to make sure your state is one of those, but thanks for the clarification!

Brian

Again, Brian you are wrong..

http://www.dor.state.wi.us/faqs/ise/usetax.html

4. What must I do if I buy taxable goods or services from an out-of-state mail-order company, television shopping channel, Internet seller, or Internet auction service and no Wisconsin tax is charged by the vendor?

If you buy the goods or services for use in Wisconsin, you must report and pay the use tax as explained in Question 9 below.

9. On what amount should the use tax be calculated?

Calculate the use tax by multiplying the total cost of the taxable goods or services purchased, including separately stated charges such as shipping and handling, by the tax rate.

Nearly every single state that charges sales tax has this or similar laws in place..

Steve

AnimalCharms.Net

Nearly every single state that charges sales tax has this or similar laws in place..

EVERY state with a sales tax also has a use tax. (There are a few states with no sales tax).

Anyone who wants to can look up their own state rules on the state's department of revenue website.

Neil

Neil Beaty

GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA

There's never a crowd when you go that extra mile.

Professional Appraisals in Denver

I didn't know that, so thanks for the clarification. I've heard of some debates in legislation awhile ago about internet sales, though.

But still, if you wanted to save $100 to $300 or so (depending on the tax) immediately, you could always buy online and then worry about it tax time and see how it plays off with your refunds and deductibles.

Thanks for the clarifications again.

Brian

The debate you heard about regarding internet sales tax referred to the taxation of software downloads (music / movies / etc) being taxed as if it were a physical product like jewelry..

Steve

AnimalCharms.Net