minimum quality of stone to buy? what setting?

rlfowler

Im looking to buy a loose emerald cut stone on the internet. I want a large stone. I am considering spending somewhere in the region of $10,000 - $15,000. I have seen a few stones of about 3.18 and 3.4 carat which are about the size she would like, however they seem to be J colour, SI2 and good cut. I do not want any inclusions visible to the unaided eye and do not want the stone to be yellow at all.

I would like to know if I would be disappointed with the above quality. (I know thats subjective). If the colour and imperfections on a stone of this quality are negligible to an amateur then we would be happy to proceed. Would there be much quality difference between the above and say an I colour with very good cut and SI1? Basically whats the minimum standard stone I should buy?

Also in relation to settings, Im after 4 prongs but want the setting to be very delicate and taper in towards the ring. Is there a name for this? is it suitable for that sort of stone? would it be better to take the stone and have this done at a local jewellers?

Thanks a lot for all of your help

R

Emerald cuts tend to show both color and clarity features. An SI2 in that size will almost certainly be eye visible if you look carefully. Whether this is distracting for you will depend on what it is that made it an SI2 and how you tend to look at things. It probably will not be distracting will a casul examination, especially by people who don't know what to look for.

The same issue is true with color. A 3 carat J will show some warmth but it's unlikely to be percieved as a yellow stone. Some people will dislike this while others won't mind. This is a matter of taste.

Obviously you're pushing all of the limits at once. You surely already know this. What you want is a premium cut VS1-F and you want to get it for the price of an I1-L brick. I'll be very surprised if you can find a correctly graded 3.4 SI2 J for $10k (or anywhere near it) and that's even before you get in to cut quality issues. Pushing the point is ok, but don't be surprised if this turns out to be more effort than you expect in the form of shipping in stones, examining them and getting them appraised and returning them because they don't meet your expectations. Needless to say, read the dealers' return policies carefully.

Neil Beaty

GG(GIA) ISA NAJA