The cut that gives the most fire...

jdvivre

There are so many different suggested "ideal" cuts on the web that I wonder which cut really gives out the most fire?

Some "expert" friend of mine said the most important numbers are 61% depth and 57% table. The more deviation from these numbers the less fire. Is this correct?

Thanks.

Unfortunately it's considerably more complicated than that.

For round brilliant cut diamonds, the classic definition of 'ideal' is from AGS and involves 7 different parameters instead of the two that your friend suggests. AGS has recently decided that this was not sufficient and the current definition involves 11 parameters that relate to one another in a decidedly complicated fashion. In both cases total depth is not one of the numbers considered.

GIA has also started to do this although they call their top grade 'Excellent'. They have a slightly different list with 11 items, including total depth and they have different rules about how the variables relate to one another.

Some stones score well in one system and not the other while some stones will score well in both or neither. It's a battle between two big labs for the hearts and minds of the American public and there is significant debate about which of these is the most appropriate system for describing diamonds. Neither one claims to be the definition of the most beautiful stone. This is rightly left to the taste of the customer. Diamonds are like women, they're all beautiful, and the best are not necessarily the most popular (and visa versa).

You can read more about these two systems at www.ags.org and www.gia.edu

Neil

Hey Neil!

How ya been man?

Howdy jd,

I'd ditto Neil and add the following...

Fire is a hot topic :P (pun intended) and different facet structures can alter the way it appears when bringing diamonds into spot lighting environments. There are some diamonds that emphasize a broad flash fire, some pin flash fire and other diamonds a mix of the 2. I've recently published a video on the subject but I'm not sure if I can link you via this forum. Haven't been here for a while so I'm going to have to read up on the rules to make sure before I do.

At the very least, to ensure that you get an excellent display of fire, your first steps would be to make sure you're looking at top grade AGS or GIA diamonds. Altering facet measurements on these will also alter the way that fire is displayed to the eyes.

There are lots of different proportion combinations that will accomplish this so first rule of thumb is to, at the very least get a Sarin report showing the proportions of the diamond you're considering. On most new GIA and AGS Reports they do provide at the very least, the basic proportions.

Regards,

Jonathan

I also have a question on this topic...taking the advice of some of the very freqent posters... (thanks very much!)- I checked out Exceldiamons and was thrilled with the amount of knowledge and level of customer care.....from both Barry and Judah.

I purchased a Superbcut round .4 ct G VVS1 set in a classic 6 prong and want to to know if the superbcut really does make that much a difference in the 'fire' and shine.....or is the 'ideal' cut everyone else offers just as good....the pictures they offer really make it shine and I just want to know if you think the same lighting can do that to any diamond as well...

Dave

Congratulations!

Excel sells some wonderful stones. There are other people who also sell wonderful stones. Pretty much everybody calls at least some of their stones ‘ideal’ and no, they’re not all the same. There’s no way to give a straight answer without seeing the stones you are considering and even then it’s tough when you try to label one as ‘better’ than the other without carefully defining what you mean by ‘better’. My guess is that you did just fine. Excel is a superb company. I’ve never seen a stone from them that wasn’t exactly as represented but if you’re in doubt, get an appraisal while you’re still within their return period.

It certainly helps to have a good subject but good lighting, good equipment, good photography skills, and photoshop go a long way towards producing good looking images. Your comments about their customer care strikes me as better evidence that you will end up happy than the fact that they can take good pictures. If you are comparing images and you don’t know and trust the source of a particular image, take it with a grain of salt.

Neil

David2350;

Thanks very much for your kind words. Our pleasure speaking to you.

We will be in touch soon with details.

It would be so easy to say that a stone will look nice using a couple of average numbers, however there are many different combinations of numbers that will yield a beautiful diamond. You need to see the stones in person and compare.

I see stones all the time that break the numbers rules, that are gorgeous. In fact we had one a while back that I think was an experiement. This particular stone, if going to the AGS lab would have been a 10 cut grade based on the crown height and angles, however it was a very brilliant diamond. I think we did a post on that complete with pictures. :)