light yellow diamond

saraelong

Hi. I have a beautiful necklace with a diamond over 1 carat. It is from NY and Co., probably from the 60's or so. The diamond is a very light yellow. It almost looks clear the yellow is so light. It is flawless. I have gotten different opinions from different people and I was wondering if you could give me some kind of an estimate of how much it is worth. Or if you have any useful info about that kind of diamond that would be great. I cannot find any jewelery from NY and Co. online either. Also, where could I sell this at?

HI,

Ive never heard of "NY and company"

What would give you the impression it's a "flawless"? If there's no GIA report, it's not right calling it flawless- there's simply no proof.

We offer well cut very faint yellow diamonds just over one carat at about $3000- Hopefully this will give you some useful info

Get it appraised.

If you’re looking for an estimation of what you could reasonably expect to sell it for, make sure you’re asking the right question of the right people. Asking an employee at a jewelry store for a casual guess of ‘What is this worth?” is simply not sufficient to expect a meaningful answer. Your grading source is highly suspect and this grading is likely to be an important concern for anyone who is considering buying it from you. It’s not just the clarity that matters. The difference between ‘Fancy Light Yellow’ and ‘P’ is extremely important to most buyers. Is your estimation of the weight from the same source as the flawless clarity grading?

Neil

Cool Sara,

I did not mean to imply you were doing anything wrong.

Neil's point is spot on.

Asking someone in a jewelry store "What's it worth" is likely NOT to get you the correct answer. Proof being the difference between the two "estimates" you got.

I guess it's a pet peeve of mine when someone ( other than GIA) calls a diamond Flawless.

Especially if the diamond was set when they examined it!

I'm sure Neil will be glad to refer you to a competant appraiser, if you're not close enough to visit him personally.

I know it's over a carat because they weighed it in front of me, I can't remember if it was 1.05 or 1.10 though. It is set, so maybe it is not flawless. They did look at it through their jewelry equipment for scratches, ect.

I usually stay out of these postings but now I have to know how they weighed a mounted stone without removing it from the setting??