GIA IF,D, Ex,Ex,Ex, Rarity

Steve in Arizona

I just purchased the following diamond and am wondering just how rare a stone with this GIA certification is. I would really like to know something quantitative. Reading other postings on this and other forums, I have the opinion that GIA is a better grading than AGS. I am also skeptical that H&A, Eight Star, Supercert, etc. really are superior to the best GIA certified stones. I am certainly a diamond neophyte, so please believe me that these opinions are more impressions than fact-based certainties. Thank you for any illuminating factual comments you may have.

Round Brilliant

5.99 – 6.03 x 3.69 mm

0.81 carat

Color - D

Clarity - IF

Cut - Excellent

Clarity Characteristics – None

Polish – Excellent

Symmetry – Excellent

Fluorescence – Medium Blue

Comments – Minor details of polish are present.

Thanks for anything you can tell me, Steve

GIA is a fine lab. I wouldn’t go so far as to say they are ‘better’ than AGS and I wouldn’t describe either one as resulting in a stone being certified, but you can certainly be proud of a D-IF-X graded by GIA. The branded stones that you list are primarily selling their quality of cutting and will offer grading reports issued by one or more of the major labs, including GIA, in order to defend their grading so I’m not sure that your comparison is fair. It's not an either/or proposition. This is especially true for stones with such exacting specs.

Neil

There are some other sized available in the D IF range that are Ex EX EX's.

IF you are going to go with a D IF I'm surprised that you would take a medium blue fluoresence Not that you will see a difference but a stone of that color and clarity, most on the web want none.

Jan,

After reading about blue fluorecence in a GIA study and elsewhere I actually wanted to have it but would have settled for none. My diamond does not exhibit a milky/cloudy/oily appearance when in direct sunlight. I think the fluorescence may actually improve the appearance of my diamond. There must be a reason why the term "blue-white" was once so popular. I hope someone has some statistics on availabilty of high quality diamonds.

Actually Steve, blue white was a term used on diamonds that were about j-k color that had fluorescence.

You probably won't notice anything in a medium fluorescence at all, but generally there is a discount in the higher color grades for fluorescence.

Jan,

You may be right about not noticing anything in normal light. I suppose I would have to do a side by side comparison with a similar stone without any fluorescence. However, sunlight and some indoor lighting does contain ultraviolet light, so I can't help but think there must be some difference in appearance even if it is only a very slight blue-ish tint. After reading everything I can get my hands on concerning fluorecence, I think discounting for it is only rational if people irrationally belive it is detrimental to the appearance of higher quality stones. I don't know if discounting saved me any money, but if it did, so much the better. I have read that some dealers have discontinued discounting because they don't like to perpetuate an irrational belief that when discovered by the customer leads to distrust about other "facts" about diamonds. Apparently some this is due to the guy hawking a book on the internet that claims 2 out of 3 diamonds with fluorecence have a milky white appearance!