Return my Yehuda!

AmyRey

I have Yehuda diamond for which I thought was a good deal ( I didn't do my research). I am going back to the store to upgrade to a "real diamond". Do I tell them I am unhappy with the original purchase or do I just go in and exchange the diamond. The reason this was all brought about was I had my ring appraised at an independent jeweler and it was appraised at $1000 less than what the original store appraised it at. Clarity and color were less as well. I was just wondering what the best approach would be? Thanks for any advice.

They do have an upgrade policy so that was what I was going to use to get a different diamond. I called them and even $5.00 is considered an upgrade so I am okay in that aspect. I just wasn't sure if I should explain the situation with the appraisals or just go in and upgrade.

AmyRev,

By all means, if you’re unhappy, go for the upgrade. The issue is your unhappiness, not the reasons behind it. If you feel uncomfortable explaining it, you are under no obligation to do so.

Be careful about relying on appraisers and what a stone ‘appraised for’. Not every appraisal is describing the same things and in the case of clarity enhanced goods, there is not a standardized grading scale so one graders idea of an SI2 may not be the same as another. This is why GIA won't do them. This can lead to some pretty drastic differences between graders. Yehuda is a fine company and they make fine products but appraising them is not the same as appraising untreated natural stones. Not every appraiser has experience with it and estimating the ‘replacement’ value is not the same as estimating what you should expect to pay, what you would get if you sold it or any of an assortment of other valuation approaches. Lastly, not all ‘independent’ jewelers are all that independent. Appraise the appraiser before relying on their opinion.

An open ended offer of 100% credit towards an upgrade to any non-treated stone in the store is entirely reasonable and is a good sign about the dealer. There may be other traps but so far they are to be commended.

Neil Beaty

GG(GIA) ISA NAJA

Neil- due respect- you know I love'ya.

But why commend a seller who:

1) Sold a CE diamond without really making sure the buyer knew what they were getting- and if the buyer stays with this seller, take pains to make absolutely SURE not to buy another filled diamond ( if the buyer wants a natural).

2) sold a diamond which underappraised.

Of course the appraisal may be off the wall, but I think, where there's someke, there's fire.

Neil- due respect- you know I love'ya.

But why commend a seller who:

1) Sold a CE diamond without really making sure the buyer knew what they were getting- and if the buyer stays with this seller, take pains to make absolutely SURE not to buy another filled diamond ( if the buyer wants a natural).

2) sold a diamond which underappraised.

Of course the appraisal may be off the wall, but I think, where there's someke, there's fire.

Never did AmyRey say that the stone was misrepresented or that she didn't know what she was getting when it was originally purchased. The fact that she knew the brand name is actually a sign that it was promoted as a feature. After the purchase she decided that she want's something different and the store has agreed to give it to her, no questions asked, forever. That's a pretty strong offer that few dealers will make. Will you?

She didn't say it appraised at less than it cost, she said it appraised for less than the original store appraised it for. You well know that these can be, and often are, wildly different numbers. We know nothing about either appraiser, either appraisal, the diamond, the transaction, or the other stones being offered as alternatives. How can you say with such certainty that the second appraisal is right, the first is wrong and that the transaction was based on pack of lies?

but thanks for the love. :)

Neil

Hi Neil,

You are totally correct about the appraisal- I read quickly- originally I thought it apprasied $1000 less than she paid- my apologies.

As a matter of fact we do offer a lifetime trade-up policy.

I also can see your point about using the term Yehuda- but it still seems that the buyer was not completely informed about what she was buying.

Why change her mind after learing more from other sources?

To me this implies she wasn't neccesarily told all that "Yehuda" entailed.

I'll also admit that I don't feel most sellers of high quality diamonds would even be offering CE diamonds. IF a seller does offer them, they should really make sure the buyer knows what they are getting- which didn't seem to happen here.

That's why I would hesitate to commend the seller.

Unless I'm completely off base again. Of course it would not be the first time......:)

David,

Not to pick on you because I think you too are a commendable dealer. It’s much easier to look into your policies but I think your distaste for CE diamonds is coloring your judgment. Your trade up policy, although entirely reasonable, is considerably less generous than what’s being described here.

Do you sell heated, treated, or ‘healed’ sapphires & rubies? I can easily imagine this same scenario being discussed over those by a simple search/replace for the word Yehuda in the original post. People buy treated stones because they’re less expensive and they trade up as their tastes and/or budgets change. There’s nothing wrong with this. ‘Real sapphire’, meaning untreated natural stones, are a fair amount more money and not everyone wants to spring for the budget. This does not make the buyers fools for considering them and selling them does not, by itself, make the dealers cheats.

Neil

Neil, Our policy regarding a trade within one week of purchase is unrestricted- someone buys something, they can either get a refund, OR exchange for any other item we carry- no restriction.

If you'd have asked we'd have explained this- yet we know absolutely NOTHING about whoever the poster is talking about.

How in the world would you assume our policy is better, worse, or the same??

For those who do not know our trade up policy ( after 7 days):

Buyers may trade their diamond towards one of double the value, and we'll allow them 100% of the purchase price paid for the original diamond.

Secondly, if you are so in favor of diamonds filled with silicon, that's your own opinion. I don't like them for many reasons.

Emotional?

Yes, I feel a diamond should be pure.

Asthetic?

I've seen filled stones, and did not like the oily rainbow effect.

Prcatical?

Filled stones need to be treated with special care during bench work- and may loose their filling if even a little heat is applied.

So, no, I do not like filled diamonds, NOR do we reccomend them to our friends.

I also spent over 20 years traveling all over this country- and the world- selling diamonds to retail sellers. NEVER did I find a high quality operation offering filled diamonds. Either at wholesale, or retail levels. All due respect to the companies offering these "filled"stones- but they are NOT in the same category as fine diamond houses.

Can you name a well thought of seller offering stones filled with silicon?

We sell sapphires rubies and emeralds which have been heated during the cutting process, as well as Sapphites with AGTA reports verifying there were NOT heated.

In my opinion heating a stone during the cutting process is NOTHING like injecting plastic into it.

We make DAMN sure buyers understand the difference. Ain't NOBODY buying a colored stone from us that gets the kind of surprise this buyer got.

I read your upgrade policy as listed on your site before I wrote that last post. Don't misunderstand, I have no problems with it and I agree that we don't know if the dealer at hand is being correctly quoted. The devil is in the details. AmyRey's understanding seems to be that it's a 100% credit for anything in the store forever. It that's correct, those are pretty good terms. I suppose we'll find out when she gets her upgrade.

I think where we differ is that I have seen good dealers selling Yehuda products, with full disclosure and for reasonable prices and I've seen customers who are thrilled with their purchase. I also don't see anything in the original question that suggests that the Yehudaness came as a surprise, only that she changed her mind about wanting one. This happens all the time about all sorts of purchases. It's human nature to second guess your purchases.

I'm with you that I wouldn't buy one but people buy all kinds of things that I wouldn't want. This doesn't make them wrong for wanthing them and it doesn't mean that the dealer is cheating them.

Neil

The way I read it Amy did come here to post because she had some sort of problem.

I'm sure there have been satisifed buyers of CE diamonds, and that there are sellers that properly disclose the facts.

Still, I'd also be curious to know which dealers of high quality diamonds also sell CE diamonds.

I stand by my statement that, in general, sellers of CE diamonds are NOT sellers of high quality diamonds.

That could lead to less than full disclosure- which quite frankly, seems to be the reason Amy is posting here.

Then we would have to be a somewhat unique seller..

We sell what the customer wants.. We sell from top of the line 10+ct IF D Emerald cut diamonds (as an example of a recent sale) - to massive burmese rubies and other color - to clarity enhanced, CZs and synthetic / lab grown stones.. If the customer wants a top of the line diamond, we sell that.. If they want a CZ mounted in platinum, we'll sell that too..

There is nothing wrong with selling enhanced stones, they fill a niche in the market.. To imply that people selling at all ends of the spectrum can somehow be less than ethical based on just that fact is not something I would have expected from you David..

It would be like me saying, In General, people that sell jewelry on eBay tend to be scam artists.. It's unfair to you and all the other very upstanding sellers on eBay..

Isn't it fun when questions turn into trade arguments :ph34r:

I guess then it's my turn to apologize.

Maybe some of the stores I sold to carried filled stones, and it simply never came up because I worked for companies that did not carry "yehuda" type diamonds.

Anyway- I apologize for lumping together things which are not necessarily related.

And to Neil......

Yes, internet forums can get quite.....heated.

Thanks Steve.