Clarity verse Size of diamond

pamiewamie

I am wanting a large diamond. I cant afford a large flawless diamond by no means. I have found a 2 carat diamond that is included but its VERY sparkly and full of fire. The clarity is stated at I2. The inclusions are like feathers...only 1 carbon speck on the far side. Can anyone tell me what would be a decent price for a stone of this clarity and size? Thanks Pam

Pam,

You point out a good scenario that many people have when wanting to buy a large diamond with a budget.

Ideally, we all want to buy larger diamonds at fairly inexpensive prices. However, how much would one be willing to sacrifice quality for quatity?

An I2 clarity grade is very low on the clarity grade scale. Feathers near the diamond's surface can be detrimental if it breaks through the surface, so I would assume that this diamond has this characteristic. In addition, seeing carbon inclusions in a diamond is a highly undesirable trait.

You might be better off going with a lower carat weight with a higher clarity like an SI2 clarity grade at worse. Carat weight is not always indicative of its size as you have to see the actual measurements between diamonds to see if there is a true difference.

Assuming it's a round cut diamond and no knowledge of the color grade, I would see the diamond being $7-$9K. Very difficult to tell with not enough detail on the diamond.

There is carbon when you look through a loupe. However the color of the diamond is E-F..VERY BEAUTIFUL sparkle. THere are no inclusions that break the surface or anything..the diamond is not enhanced in anyway. Not sure what the "rap sheet" means. The price on that is 7,000.00 .

If it looks beautiful to you and there aren't any inclusions visible to the naked eye. Then, it would be a good diamond as long as YOU are happy with it. That's the most important issue when purchasing the diamond is that one likes the way it looks.

Is this a GIA or AGS graded diamond? The certification is also important on the pricing of a diamond.

Hi Pam,

On a $7000 2 carat diamond, it's liklely there will be no GIA report.

In general, we advise folks to only buy major diamonds with GIA rpeorts- but at $7k for a 2 carat, the rules are different.

Is this a retail seller- a walk in store?

Will they give you a money back guarantee?

the "rap sheet" is an industry price sheet- not especially useful for consumers- especially in a case like this.

David,

This diamond is from a individual that buys jewlery in the diamond district in California. She gets very good buys and she has let me have several rings at what she payed for them.

I gotta tell ya..this 2.00 is like i had mentioned...I2 clarity but very good color of E-F. I have saw it in person. She sent it to me to view before i make a decision. I didnt get to take it to a jewelery store since i live WAY in the country and there is no jewelery store within several hours of me. She is selling me this ring for 1300.00. NO cracks, NO enhancements, beautiful sparkle but it does have visiable inclusions...but from a foot away its gorgeous.

Pammie.

David's right, Rap is irrelevant. He's also right that $1,300 is really really cheap. There's more to this story.

I'm curious about your color and clarity grading as well as the determination that there are no enhancements of any kind. Is this based on your own grading expertise or is it something that the seller has told you?

Neil

The diamond has been checked..NOT ENHANCED, NO INCLUSIONS THAT COME TO THE SURFACE. Its a round stone. 2 full carats!! Im gonna go for it. I dont think i can go wrong for the price. The lady assured me she will NEVER be able to find another diamond anywhere near the size and sparkle of this one for ANYWHERE near what she payed for this one. Thanks, Pam

p.s. The color grade and clarity were given verbally by a jeweler. However i have been a diamond lover long enough to know about color and clarity. This was just such an awsome deal i couldnt believe it.