Find Online Jeweler

denverappraiser

Hermann,

I have a suggestion and I’d love to hear what you and others think. We get lots of questions about whether stone xyz is priced properly and there is a canned answer of ‘use the find online jeweler’ link to look up some similar offers. The problem seems to be that often people aren’t really looking for an online jeweler so they don't think to look there. What they want is some sort of benchmark to know if an offer that they've been presented is reasonable. Actually, several of the dealers who participate wouldn’t describe themselves that way anyway. They are jewelers who sell online. I suggest several modifications to the site:

1) Change the name of ‘find online jeweler’ to ‘find diamond offers’

2) Add a button for ‘find online jeweler’ that allows shoppers to compare the various vendors based on the attributes of the vendor like return period, shipping policy, methods of payment, kinds of information available, location, etc.

3) I think your retailer advertisers would get better results if users could pull up a referral to a local supporting jeweler during the users session. I think the current system of providing you with contact information and a jeweler will email back with an offer causes a vast majority of shoppers to turn back.

4) It would be awesome, but probably difficult, to make a way that individuals in the classified sections had a way to get their advertising to turn up in the ‘find diamond offers’ database. Failing that, at least give them a form to fill out that guides them through providing the best information that they have.

Neil

Hi Neil,

Thanks for the suggestions!

There are changes on the way that will address items #1-#3; look for those right around JCK. When the button label is changed, I will also do a massive 'search & replace' on the forum to update all messages that refer to that button.

As for #4, even if their information turned up on the database (which is difficult as you stated), it would be buried as there are 300,000+ other listings there. Therefore, I do think it's best to keep that separate. I think the best we can do there is offer guidelines on how to post a compelling offer, and let them choose to follow those guidelines or not.

Hermann

When the button label is changed, I will also do a massive 'search & replace' on the forum to update all messages that refer to that button.

Hermann.

Please do not do this. It may seem like a tiny thing but I, for one, am very uncomfortable with you editing my words, even for a good reason like this. As an alternative an you arrange to automatically add some sort of admin footnote at the bottom that instructs readers of the changes while clearly identifying this as being inserted by you and not the original words of the author?

Neil

It may seem like a tiny thing but I, for one, am very uncomfortable with you editing my words, even for a good reason like this.

A very fair request. I was going to read each message to be modified prior to making any changes, just to make sure all original context was kept, but I do think an administrative note in a different color and clearly being different from the original text is much more respectful of each author. Thanks for raising the flag, and for proposing a very workable solution.