I need help w/ a potential Blue Nile Purchase!

Jguru23

I bought my fiancee a 1.00 ct center stone, with 1/2 ct tanzanites on each side, in platinum for $7,500 about a year ago.

The link below appears to be the perfect band to go with it. But the ring (.75 tcw) has uncertified stones and have been labeled H and VS2 by an in house jewerler.

Any thoughts? Is this a good approach and a good deal or should I come up with the extra $1,000 and purchase similar through my local jewerler?

http://www.bluenile.com/product_details.as...os=1&set_shape=

Should I purchase it and get it certified by an appraiser and if it is not up to snuff return it?

It's not at all unusual for stones of that size to be sold without a major lab grading report. The big labs charge approx $75 to examine stones that size so you would be raising your price by a whopping $300-$400 on a $1,700 ring if you insisted on the reports! Not surprisingly, most people opt for using different grading approaches, either jeweler grading or 2nd tier labs (which is pretty much the same thing).

BN is a pretty good store. Get the ring appraised after you get it if you're concerned about surprises but overall you're pretty safe here. As Forbidden points out, they have an agreeable return policy if you, your appraiser, your husband or your astrologer has a problem with it.

Neil

I guess my major concern is this: My fiancee's center stone is a 1.04 ct round ideal cut, AGS certified, vs2, I color.

I know AGS is tougher on grading that others like IGI. The stone is beautiful and throws light like you wouldnt believe.

I want the 5 stone .75 tcw behind it to work with it and throw light in the same way. If this ring has 5-stones that are sub-par or are not ideal cut then they wont throw light the same way if they are not ideal cut...correct?

How can say that the stones on average are H in color and vs2 if they are not certified by AGS, IGI, etc. Who knows what they really are at all!

Josh

What you may want to inquire about is if they can use Ideal cut melee for the band to match the brilliance and beauty of your center stone.

Small stones in mass manufactured rings are often of lesser cut quality, but some vendors do offer the option of Ideal cuts.

As for the grading, like Neil said it is quite common that stones of that size are not lab graded with a grading report. In fact many small stones are house graded with a range like, G/H SI1 or F/G VS2.

Lots of dealers can sell you a ring that looks sort of like that. Consider choosing one that can personally examine the stones before they are set and who can act as your eyes in selecting the best cut. You are, fundamentally, relying on the word of the dealer who tells you whether the stones are 'ideal' or not. This isn't as bad an idea as it sounds, but it's important choose a dealer who you are inclined to believe and I highly recommend one who can choose the stones personally. After they are set and you have them appraised is a difficult time to decide to reject one (or more). Picking the right dealer can go a long way to making this a happy shopping experience. I would start with whoever sold you the ring it's being worn with.

Neil