Bought G color Oval diam appraiser says it is an H

melriv626

My boyfriend bought an oval brillant diamond with an EGL certificate. The certificate stated it is a G color VS2 Clarity. In order to get it insured he needed to take it to an independent appraiser. The appraiser gave it an H color. With that appraisal we contacted the local jeweler asking him if we could remedy this. The ring is beautiful but we feel as though we should be reimbursed for getting a lesser color diamond.

I have a couple of questions:

Should I return the diamond and start from scratch with finding a new one?

Should I get reimbursed some money if I want to keep the ring? ( most jewelers hate giving up money)

Any help anyone give would be great.

I think the difference between a G and an H color is minor. The jeweler may legitimately argue that the independent appraiser could be off.

It sounds like you love your diamond. Perhaps getting some sort of reimbursement, or perhaps a credit toward your bands, might be in order? The jeweler may suggest you "split the difference" between G and H, and that would be entirely reasonable as well. I would work with the jeweler on this one.

One thing that I disagree with is your statement, "most jewelers hate giving up money". I would argue that "ALL jewelers hate giving up money"!! :D