Chipped Girdle :-(

felina

Hi all,

Yesterday, while reaching in my back seat to move a case of six longneck bottles with metal caps, I accidentally struck my precious diamond on one of them, and instantly felt there would be damage. My fiancee was devastated, as he didn't think diamonds could crack. There is a nick in the girdle, and it is visible with the naked eye. It is a round-cut brilliant stone.

We have options. The jewelry store we purchased in from doesn't seem to want to turn the stone to hide the nick (is that possible)? The stone is insured, and the insurance company has said they will replace it. But we are quite attached to it, and I am just afraid if I were to get a new one it would happen again. Any recommendations?

Thanks.

Unless the crack/chip is protected you are subjecting the stone to the possibility of more catastrophic damage.. Also, now that the insurance company knows of the damage, any future damage "may" not be allowed under your policy (ask your agent)..

Your best option is to simply let the insurance company replace your stone.. Perhaps theywill let you buy that stone from them at a discount and you can have it remounted in a bezel style pendant.. This way you get to keep an important stone and it is protected..

You're asking for big trouble if you leave the diamond as is. That "nick" will eventually grow putting the entire stone in jeopardy. Take up your Insurance Co.'s offer immediately.

Thanks for all the advice. I took the ring in to my jeweler and she said the damage was very minimal. They are resetting the stone and she said that I will never see or hear from it again. I think I may have overstated the damage that was done because I was upset about it. She said it was just on the girdle, and nowhere else, and it doesn't seem like I lost any of the diamond itself at all. So I am satisfied with that. (Out of sight, out of mind?)

It's your decision, of course, but your jeweler is giving you very bad advice.

Even a small chip has the very real potential of developing into a bigger fracture with continued wear. Hiding the current "chip" under a prong just delays the inevitable, IMO.

I'm with Barry, take up the insurance company on their offer. This is what the insurance is for. Most companies have a system where they will sell you back the damaged stone at the 'salvage' value to them because they know that many people have emotional attachments to particular stones. That's the point after all.

You should be aware that many insurance companies have specific restrictions that relate to pre-existing damage. Carefully read your policy. If you have future problems that can be traced to the current unresolved damage, it's very likely that this will be grounds to disallow the claim.

Hidden is not the same as repaired.

There are certain kinds of damage that aren't a problem and there are others that are. The difference can be subtle and not necessarily a function of visible size. There's no way for us to assess the expertise of your jeweler to make this determination but it's something you should consider if you are going to rely on their advice. At the very least, submit updated documentation to the insurance company with a plotting diagram and possibly photomicrographs describing the current condition as an update to the policy. They may still be able to weasel away from a claim under the clause about 'inherent vice' but at least they can't claim that you've withheld material facts.

Neil

I think it's a wonderful excuse for an upgrade :angry:

But I can't think of any situation where we would offer to simply reset any damaged stone.. We've had customers ask / demand that we do it, and we have with all the appropriate warnings, but as a jeweler it's simply too big of a risk to be offering to reset damaged goods..

Sort of like a mechanic offering to just turn a bent part on your car around so that you can't see the damage anymore.. The part is still bent..