(this is not MY WEDDING RING)!!!!

beadyq

I have only been married 1 year , to the SWEETEST GUY I know; HE bought me a beautiful 2 ct. diamond weddding ring ! our warranty requires a cleaning & inspection every 3 months... 2 days before my 1 year anniversary I decided to take it in to have it cleaned since me & my husband had dinner plans out for our anniversary i wanted it to be sparkling...while I was waiting for this new girl in the store to clean my ring ..we all agreed It was one of the prettiest ring weve seen sold in that store ..a few minutes later she tells me shell be right back ..taking my ring into the back room ...5 minutes later... returning my ring , she too was complimenting me on its beauty..thinking nothing much about it, i started to leave .I looked at it like always ...yet a thought came to me ;that it didnt look as pretty as it usually does prior to cleaning ..i just knew in my mind i could trust this place..after all it was purchaced there.my husband bought me a jewelers eye for christmas because i often would hit my big wedding ring on something..and i had to inspect it for any possible damage.Good thing I did have that eye..I discoved 5 or so days later, as i was doing my routine inspections,(This Ring was not my wedding ring!) I am soo upset & am so sentimental, the fact is my ring was swiched in just those 4 or 5 minutes she was in back with my ring!!! I noticed this ring i was wearing was too big..mine was custom sized so i wouldnt have that problem..My ring like i said was contantly being banged against something so i had flaws that I had made on that ring myself....those flaws were not on this ring i was wearing...I HAVE BEEN ROBBED!!!!I could use some advice on what to do...I am sure I will never get my ring back,,,How do you put a price on something PRICELESS.&.SENTIMENTAL???? thankx

I’m sorry to hear of your troubles. All may not be lost.

Contact the store immediately. It’s quite possible that the sales person gave you back the wrong ring from the cleaner entirely by accident and what you have is someone else’s ring. Someone who is equally upset about losing hers - someone who has yours and who would be thrilled to trade you back if they just knew who you were. Someone who may have already complained to the store and who is waiting to hear from you.

Neil

I'm with Neil on this one.. It very likely that your ring was simply mistaken for another in the cleaner.. At any one time we may have as many as 10 rings being cleaned and it's not unusual for someone to accidentally pull a ring, see it's the wrong one, set it down, get the right one, and walk away..

If this girl is new that lends itself even more to being a mistake.. It is incredibly rare for a jeweler to switch diamonds, and even more rare to switch rings.. The trade is based so much on trust and reputation that it's simply not worth the risk..

Also, if the store has a full shop in the back, and they noticed the 'damage' to your ring, it is likely that they hit it with a polishing wheel to try to make it look a little better for you.. This would explain the missing marks if this is your ring..

Finally, you should have your appraisal, with a picture of your ring on it, with you when you go back to the store to compare what they gave you with the appraisal.. This will also help you verify the diamond in the ring is or is not yours..

I'm with Neil on this one.. It very likely that your ring was simply mistaken for another in the cleaner.. At any one time we may have as many as 10 rings being cleaned and it's not unusual for someone to accidentally pull a ring, see it's the wrong one, set it down, get the right one, and walk away..

If this girl is new that lends itself even more to being a mistake.. It is incredibly rare for a jeweler to switch diamonds, and even more rare to switch rings.. The trade is based so much on trust and reputation that it's simply not worth the risk..

Also, if the store has a full shop in the back, and they noticed the 'damage' to your ring, it is likely that they hit it with a polishing wheel to try to make it look a little better for you.. This would explain the missing marks if this is your ring..

Finally, you should have your appraisal, with a picture of your ring on it, with you when you go back to the store to compare what they gave you with the appraisal.. This will also help you verify the diamond in the ring is or is not yours..

Steve,

Here's a neat trick I learned while working in a high volume shop. We got some institutional type telephone wire from the phone guy who services the building. These cables have about 100 conductors in them, all different colors and stripes. We cut of little pieces about 2 inches long of each and put them in a box near the take-in counter. The salesperson and/or the customer would tie a little colored wire to each piece before they put it in the cleaner. When you give it back, the wire comes off and goes back in the box. With repairs, you can write a quick color code describing the wire as part of the description.

It's sort of like the habit of doctors to meet with a patient before surgery and before the patient is drugged up. They'll write a big 'x' and the patients name with a magic marker right on the spot where they are supposed to cut. It seems silly but it cuts down on errors.

Neil

I have only been married 1 year , to the SWEETEST GUY I know; HE bought me a beautiful 2 ct. diamond weddding ring ! our warranty requires a cleaning & inspection every 3 months... 2 days before my 1 year anniversary I decided to take it in to have it cleaned since me & my husband had dinner plans out for our anniversary i wanted it to be sparkling...while I was waiting for this new girl in the store to clean my ring ..we all agreed It was one of the prettiest ring weve seen sold in that store ..a few minutes later she tells me shell be right back ..taking my ring into the back room ...5 minutes later... returning my ring , she too was complimenting me on its beauty..thinking nothing much about it, i started to leave .I looked at it like always ...yet a thought came to me ;that it didnt look as pretty as it usually does prior to cleaning ..i just knew in my mind i could trust this place..after all it was purchaced there.my husband bought me a jewelers eye for christmas because i often would hit my big wedding ring on something..and i had to inspect it for any possible damage.Good thing I did have that eye..I discoved 5 or so days later, as i was doing my routine inspections,(This Ring was not my wedding ring!) I am soo upset & am so sentimental, the fact is my ring was swiched in just those 4 or 5 minutes she was in back with my ring!!! I noticed this ring i was wearing was too big..mine was custom sized so i wouldnt have that problem..My ring like i said was contantly being banged against something so i had flaws that I had made on that ring myself....those flaws were not on this ring i was wearing...I HAVE BEEN ROBBED!!!!I could use some advice on what to do...I am sure I will never get my ring back,,,How do you put a price on something PRICELESS.&.SENTIMENTAL???? thankx

thanks for the advice. I couldnt see either the purpose for the sales girl swapping my ring...but as she took my ring to the back ...she was drying it of...she had already cleaned it.I cant find my sales reciept but I do have a picture of my original ring..Do I take it along with the police in with me when I confront this store with my situation?

Beadyg,

'Confront' is not what Steve and I recommended but it's up to you. If you feel confident that something criminal has been done or that you are at personal risk by visiting store to ask about it, by all means get the police involved. I would not expect this to increase your chances of a happy resolution. The jeweler may count it as a hostile act and actually reduce their cooperation because of it. Threats aren't always an effective way to get what you want.

This may be a covered loss under your insurance. If you're insured, consider talking to your agant about a claim.

Neil

:D I GOT MY RING BACK!!! Like I posted, the jewelery store did take my ring .Me & my husband went in yesterday. & there it sat in thier display case for resale. They wouldnt admit to taking it but, didnt put up a fight, They just gave it back.Thank God & my husband for a happy ending..Thanks to all who replied to my post!!!

Congratulations on your recovery.

Yikes! Did you notice if the tag in the case describe your ring or was it a description of the ring they had given you out of the cleaner? I suppose it’s possible that it was accidentally switched with an inventory piece as described above but if the tag on your ring was new and was appropriate for your ring and not the other, I think you’ve got some evidence of a real problem at the store. Theft is no less a crime whether they get away with it or not.

Get it appraised and get it insured.

Neil

Congrats on getting your ring back.. The fact that the ring was in the showcase concerns me.. If it really is your ring and not a look alike (I'm tending to think it was your ring) then there is no way it could have shown up in their inventory records and should have never gone into the case..

I'm with Neil in wondering what the tag said.. If the description was for your ring I would be concerned, and if the description was for a different ring, I would be concerned for different reasons.. I think it may be time to find a new jeweler..

I think it may be time to find a new jeweler..

I think what's left to be decided is whether they're criminals or just fools. In either case, I agree that you should discontinue any future business with them. If the tag was a description of your ring, I think you should call the police.

thanks for your reply, yes it was the same description & number on the tag.the sales lady even showed even made a point to show me it matched my receipt. I was told a whole diferent story the first time I confronter the store .They had told me they discontinued selling this ring style , My husband went in the second time with me, & that was when we discoved my ring plain as day in their case. we took a loupe & look at it and we both agreed it was my ring.The store manager was more than happy to give it back, with little fuss!!!

I'm glad you got your ring back - and with little hassle, but what they did was unthinkable.

at the very least, a new jeweler is in order, but I have to agree with the others who posted - call the police.

That they gave you the wrong ring by accident is an innocent mistake, but that they put a tag on YOUR ring and were going to sell it makes me wonder what kind of business they are running! They should have contacted you immediately if it were a mistake, not stuck a tag on it and put it in the display for sale! :angry:

Call the cops, honey, and report what they did as basically theft, so someone else doesn't have to deal with the stress and aggrivation that you did.