Damaging a diamond???

kiko3

Hi, I bought a 1.11 carat yellow diamond and had a ring made with 2 white triangles on its sides. When i came home I noticed that one of the white triangles on the side was a bit further away from it. Meaning there was a gap b/w the white and the yellow stone, i took the ring back and showed it, was told that the white diamond had moved so they had to fix that. After a few days i called again and was told that i must have "hit" the ring since i had damaged both the yellow stone and the white one and now t my dream fancy yellow stone had to be sent to the factory again and cut to take the damaged part out.....I just dont know how this happened since i had NOT hit the ring with anything and i dont believe i could damage a diamond anyways. Please help me make some sense out of this. Can a diamond be damaged this way, arent they supposed to be really strong...?

Thanks. waiting for some reply.

Diamonds are the hardest substance on earth.. But they are very brittle and can chip and crack if hit just right.. Dropping them on a ceramic floor seems to be a great way to chip them.. Banging them into a car door, dropping them into a stainless steel sink, etc, are also great ways to chip a diamond..

Without seeing your ring, and where the chip is, it's impossible to even guess at how it got chipped and why.. It is very possible that you did do some damage without noticing it.. But it's also possible that it was damaged while it was being worked on.. But there is just no way to tell at this point..

:) I wondered too, i had the diamond for a couple of days with me, I even called the number on the GIA certificate and asked them about it, the representative assured me after checking in their database that i had nothing to be worried about since i had a very good stone. Then i gave the diamond to jeweler who works free lance for the London based stores Graff's. I was introduced thru a friend, so i was very happy till the my dream ring was yanked un-ceremoniously from me saying i had damaged it ...I know i am beating myself up but just dont know what to make of it. The thing i want to know is IF hypothetically speaking i did hit the ring against a table or a wall could i damage it so badly ... i mean arent diamonds the strongest it baffles me, did the jeweler decide he wanted the yellow diamond back for someone else or what could have happened?

Feydakin, purpleeagle thanks guys for your replies, i think it must have happened when it was with the jeweler but i have no way of proving it....guess its part of life. I just cant help feeling really sad. But thanks ALOT for taking the time to reply.

Hopefully other's can learn from your experience..

When you take a ring in to be repaird, especially when there may be damage involved, have the jeweler take the time to show you everything wrong with the ring or gemstone.. Even go as far as look at it through a microscope with them and have them clearly explain what is wrong and how they think it may have happened "before" you leave the building..

Then there is very little chance for you to be told that any additional damage happened through you doing something to it.. The damage had to have been done in the shop unless it was hidden under something.. And then, if you like, go back and look at it again..

And finally, when it's time to pick up your fixed jewelry, take the time to look it over.. Even ask to use the microscope and inspect the ring and gemstone for tell tale inclusions or markings that clearly identify it as yours and yours alone..

Would I do this with everything?? No.. But I would until I felt comfortable with my jeweler enough to trust them alone with my children.. At that point you are dealing with someone you trust and repsect and the verification process isn't needed as often.. But the 'explain to me what happened' step is always a good one, even after the relationship is built..

Thanks Feydakin. I will be really careful in the future. I just would apprectiate any other advise you might have on how to take care of a ring, chipping a diamond never entered my head but isnt there any way of wearing a ring often enough and still not having to worry about hitting and chipping your stone. It kind of takes away from having a diamond and worrying constantly about it....hope you know what i mean.

Thanks again though.

Under most insurance policies this would be a covered loss. Have you spoken with your carrier about it?

If you don't have a policy, consider getting one. The risk of this sort of thing is fairly low but the whole purpose of the policy is to take away that worry so you can enjoy your ring to the fullest.

Neil

What Neil said..

Diamonds are hard.. And they can take a remarkable amount of abuse.. But, they do break.. For you NASCAR fans, think Dale Earnhardt Sr. A simple accident that most drivers had been through dozens of times.. But that one accident had everything go wrong at exactly the wrong moment leading to a tragedy..

The same with your jewelry.. You may hit it on a counter, car door, drop it dozens of times with no effect.. Then you drop it 6 inches into a sink and bang, busted..

Insure your jewelry.. Especially hard to replace jewelry.. Then use that policy to make you whole again..

I am currently residing in South Africa, thats where i bought the diamond and where this all happened, i had full intention of getting it insured when i got back to the US. ;) IS there anything in particular i should bring along e,g. some evaluation or that sorta thing with me this time when i get a replacement?

I cant tell you guys how grateful I am for all this information, i really appreicate all of you taking the time. This one had a GIA certificate with it. I hear not all diamonds have it.