hrd certification

DC Diamond

I am in the process of buying an engagement ring and the jeweler that i bought the setting from is really pressing my to buy a HRD diamond from them when I already purchased a diamond from someone else and paid less than the HRD. I noticed alot of the loose stone seller dont even have HRD stones. Whats the deal with them?

HRD is predominant in Europe and hardly known here in the USA.

They have opened offices here and intend to market themselves to the trade and public.

It will be an uphill climb.

HRD is a Dutch acronym for Diamond High Council, which is the coolest name in the industry. They are a Belgian based grading lab with offices in Belgium, Lebanon, Hong Kong, Canada and probably other places. They’re a well-respected grading lab but they don’t get much recognition in the US for lack of marketing effort. Information about them is at www.hrd.be. I wouldn’t recommend paying a premium to get their grading but I wouldn’t hold it against the stone either.

Neil

thanks for your replies... sometimes it hard to tell what legit and whats not... especially in aggressive sales situations... I figured it would be best to get out and take time to reflect and review all my options and what I am looking for in a stone and ring and not what they are trying to sell me, I went for the more symmetrical stone because it was one of my girlfriends points she liked about the diamonds we had initially looked at... one last question for you guys, on platinum jewelry what markings are made on the piece of jewelry, (i.e on silver it's 92.5 and gold it's 18kt and so forth). thanks again for you guys help

... one last question for you guys, on platinum jewelry what markings are made on the piece of jewelry,...

A jewelry item with a platinum alloy lower than 95% platinum, (i.e. .950 or lower) must be stamped with the respective platinum percentage, i.e. Plat 900/Iridium / Plat .900 or some such combination and/or abbreviation showing the actual percentage of platinum.

For a jewelry item with a platinum content of 95% or higher, the item can be stamped simply Plat/PT/Platinum