Wrong size... wrong everything.

cj_singer

This is my problem.. I dont know what to do:

3/18/2003 Me and my now fiancé bought a diamond engagement ring. The receipt says 1.10 round brilliant diamond with 14k diamond engagement mounting, amount charged $4531.50.

3/9/2006 I got the ring appraised (We just got engaged in December 2005). First, the Gemologist (Member NAJA) printed out the report which states that the center diamond is only .57 carats (side marquises .07 each - total .71) and the ring is only worth $3000.00. Secondly, the diamond is a marquise cut, NOT a round brilliant which is stated on the receipt.

When we were at the Jeweler, we told them we wanted the best for the amount of money we had to spend, which wasn't much. He was showing us all types of rings but then told us that he actually had a special one for us and was giving us a really good deal on it and we wouldn't be able to find a deal like that anywhere else, but we had to decide right away otherwise it would be gone. We thought we could trust them. I asked the Gemologist while he was doing the appraisal what the price would be if I were to buy it in a store today and he said $3000, I also asked about how much they could mark it up as a resale and he said that it would still be around $3000. When I bought the ring, it was used, so they marked it up significantly. The ring was originally put on layaway and I have five receipts on it that I could find, including the final balance payment.

This receipt is 3 years old.. what can I do? They lied about everything including the cut which is blatantly obvious that it's not a round (they put "rd" on the receipt). I didn't know.. I put all of my trust in this place and look what I find out 3 years later. They are on vacation now until April 12th (I know now how they can go on months long vacations).

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum, I didn't know where to put it.

Thanks for any suggestions and comments.

Crystal :'-(

Crystal - you must be wrecked! I'm so sorry you had to go through that. what a headache.

did you buy the ring orignally at a local store? did they have a lifetime tradeup policy? does it allow you to recoup the full value that you paid in the first place?

i know you said something about it being used - does the store take jewelry on consignment?

i would march back into the store with receipts in hand and ask what the deal is. i know it's been a while since it was purchased, but if it was me..i'd be making such a big scene over it that they would accomodate me just to get me to go away so i didn't scare of other buyers! LOL! but i'm good like that.

I am a wreck, I just really don't know what to do since they are on vacation, I guess I have to wait til they get back, which really sucks. Should i get an attorney? I feel like I should.. I just don't know.

It was at a local store. Their policy on the bottom of their generic hand written receipt says ten days.. 10 DAYS!!! Wow.

No trade-up policies that I know of (to be honest I've never even heard of that). I believe they do consignment.. I'm not sure anymore (it's been so long).

I would LOVE to be able to march in there and act like an idiot to get some kind of action done... but I'm such an assertive person lol.. I'd be scared to do it. Maybe I'll have to take someone with me when and if I go (maybe you should take a little vacation to PA for me lol).

What really sucks is I wanted at least a carat. My fiance proposed with this ring, and now that I find out that it's under a carat (as shallow and stupid as it sounds) I don't want this diamond anymore.. and now I have to live with myself if I trade it in knowing that I have one of the best memories of my life leaving with it. :D

Crystal

March in there and raise some hell.

If that doesn't work, hire an attorney to write them a nasty letter.

If that doesn't work, post your story in its entirety with the entire cast of characters included, here and anywhere else you can find on the Internet. Include scans of all your receipts, the photograph of the diamond, etc. Be sure to include the name of the jeweler multiple times in your posts. That way, they'll be sure to turn up next time anybody "Googles" them!

If that doesn't work, toss the ring in the garbage, buy a new one, and live happily everafter!

I can't stress enough that Ben is right - go in there and raise some hell!!!

I'm not usually an assertive person either, but I wouldn't take this one sitting down. you were lied to, that's the bottom line, and something needs to happen to resolve the issue!

I'm not that far from PA, but it might be a bit of a drive to yell at someone! LOL!!! bring your fiance, bring your mom, whatever - but go in there the day they come back and demand that this issue be addressed. and don't walk out until you're satisfied.

if that doesn't work - do what Ben says. get an attorney to write a letter, post your story EVERYWHERE. give them some bad press they have to deal with - if they're local, their reputation is on the line, and you need to use that to your advantage.

i hate it when people get taken advantage of. i should have been a consumer advocate.

Wait a second here - Maybe I'm missing something but are you saying the you "bought" a round brilliant but now 3 years later you are just figuring out that it is a Marquise cut of half the size????

Those two stones look NOTHING alike.. A round is, well, round and a marquise is a long oval shape with points on the end instead of curved.. Something is seriously wrong here if this is the case.. If not, perhaps I'm not understanding your problem as well as I could..

I’m with Steve, a half carat marquise and a 1 carat round are pretty different beasts and ‘round’ is a remarkably self-explanatory term. Hold off on the lawyer. You’ve waited 3 years before you noticed this, a few more weeks shouldn’t be that serious a problem. It won’t change your legal position in the slightest. Go in and discuss it with the jeweler when they return. Perhaps they will be tanned and rested from their long vacation and you'll be the beneficiary of their good mood.

Your memories should be of your loving husband and happy marriage. These won't change with a different diamond.

Neil

The receipt says one thing. They appraisal says something completely different. Something is seriously wrong here.

Taking the jeweler's perspective for a moment here... because there is such a huge discrepancy, they could easily say that they sold you a different ring than the one you are now presenting to them. Is there anything on the ring itself that matches it to the receipt? Or something on the receipt that matches it to the ring?

I would file a small claims complaint for $3000.00. I would ask the judge to award the difference for what it is worth and what you paid for it. Then sell it for what it is worth, and you will have your money back. Besides maybe when the store gets notice that you hae filed a small claim's complaint, they might offer to settle up on this. Also, file a complaint with the BBB.

Ok, so yes there is something seriously wrong. The receipt says (which when I did look at it i never thought to look at the type of cut, all I looked at was the size, silly me) 1.10 rd/brill dia.. I saw the 1.10 and was happy. To be completely honest, I don't know the difference between a .57, what it is and a 1.10, what is supposed to be (especially with a marquise).. but then again.. it's the first piece of jewelry that I've bought that wasn't from Claire's or Kmart etc. I thought that when I went into that store that I read everything I possibly could on diamonds and I knew alot about them, to an extent obviously. But I think the point is that I trusted them.

There is absolutely NOTHING on the receipt that matches the ring, except that it is in 14k yellow gold.. so I mean was this all made up just so I couldn't do anything about it when I found out how much money the ring was worth?? Conspiracy theory? lol

I agree that if it's been this long then I can wait another 3 or so weeks til they get back to talk to them about it. I'm just so upset and I feel like there's nothing that I can do about it now and that's even more frustrating.

What if they deny everything? It honestly makes me want to just get rid of it all together and buy a simulated diamond.. then I'll know exactly what I got.. how depressing.

Thank you all for your advice :-)

Crystal

It honestly makes me want to just get rid of it all together and buy a simulated diamond..

Diamond jewelers, take heed. This is the voice of the increasingly more skeptical mass of customers toward this trade.

Just be sure you're in such a financial position as to be able to afford them comfortably...

sorry, left over from the last thread... couldn't resist Jay :-)

No problem Ben, your advice is well-taken. You should never buy anything you can't afford, even if it's an imitation diamond.

On the subject, I've read that Moissanite is the closest imitation diamond. I was thinking about buying a couple of loose Moissanite stones for a set of stud earings. Why invest $2-3k in a pair of earrings that won't be worn except on special occasions?

There is absolutely NOTHING on the receipt that matches the ring, except that it is in 14k yellow gold..

What if they deny everything?

I am so sorry about the situation with your ring.

The biggest hurdle that you may have to overcome is proving to the store and to your lawyers that the ring you have was purchased with that receipt. The more evidence you can gather to support this claim the stronger your case will be.

Please, I'm still confused here.. Are we talking about 3 different items here??

Item #1: The receipt that says 1.10ct Round Brill

Item #2: .57ct Marquise Lab Report

Item #3: The actual ring

I am curious about what the actual ring is.. Is it a round or is it a marquise??

post-2-1142007465.jpg

lol.. You guys are even confusing me. :D

Ok, there is the reciept that says 1.10 rd brilliant but the actual ring that I got was a .57 marquise (which is what the appraisal verifies).

I will talk to them when they get back. I've sort of wound down since yesterday, so I think I'm in a little more of the right mind to actually think about what to say to them.

Crystal

I'm sorry, I really am, but I am having a hard time wrapping my head around this whole thing..

The ring on your finger, that is the one you bought, the one you looked at and meant to buy, and it matches the lab report in your hands.. The only discrpepency is that the reciept is for something else, right??

Or, the ring on your finger is not what you looked at and meant to buy, you meant to buy the round 1ct for $3k that you have the receipt for, but they gave you a marquise of half the size which isn't round at all..

I'm sorry, this whole thing is just so out in left field, especially with a 3 year time lapse between purchase and discovering the problem.. I don't mean to make it sound like I'm beating up on you at all, I just really am having a hard time wrapping my head around the whole timeline of events..

On the subject, I've read that Moissanite is the closest imitation diamond.  ...

Save your money, moissanite is a very poor diamond simulant.

IMO, it does not look like diamond at all, and they are extremely overpriced.

Moisanite is a synthetic gem, made from I think silicon carbide

There is no intrinsic value, an little or no resale value to speak of.

Want something that looks like a diamond, buy a CZ, get a top quality, 1.00 ct CZ for $5.00 not the $300-$500 for the same size moisianite.

Steve,

When I was in the store, I looked at the marquise, I wanted the marquise, they told me it was 1.10, so I bought the marquise thinking it was a 1.10 (at 4531.50). Yesterday at the appraisal, I find out that the marquise is only .57 and only worth 3000, ok that made me mad.. so I came home and found the receipt and the receipt from the store says 1.10 rd/bril.

When I had looked at the receipt before I saw the 1.10 and was satisfied, I didn't even think to look at what else it said (I’m sure if it said round brilliant then I would have noticed but since it was only an abbreviation, I guess I just didn't take notice).

When we bought the ring three years ago, we put it away and there it stayed till he proposed to me in December 2005.. I trusted the company, and I didn't even think to get it appraised... stupid me, I know, and now I know for next time I guess. :-(

Crystal

Jay,

As a substitute for diamonds, synthetic moissionite is both expensive and not especially convincing. As a beautiful material made by some clever people and based on it’s own merits, I have very little trouble with buying it but as an imitation for diamond, it’s simply not the best choice for most people. Well cut CZ’s are just as lovely and are readily available for a fraction of the price.

Neil